AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 5000 w/ 1.1 firmware version. Bought a new Sony reciever w/ both DTS and Dolby HD audio decoders. I saw by reading that 1.1 only output 7.1 through component. New Sony reciever doesnt have 7.1 component only HDMI. Also ssaw that firmware 1.3 introduced bitstream for both DTS and Dolby. The only firmware I can find on Samsung website is 1.4. Now for the question... Does 1.4 contain ALL previous version releases? If not, where can I get 1.3. REALLY want to get 7.1 going. Thanks in advance! Scott

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
hey welcome!

i think you have some terms confused. what you need to do is connect the 5000 via hdmi cable to the receiver--this will take care of both audio and video and allow for 7.1 truehd and dtsmahd to be 'bitstreamed" to the receiver. component is an analog meand of sending video with 3 connectors that you hopefully dont need to use with your tv (in that hopefully your tv is dvi or hdmi capable). you do need at least firmware version 1.3 but you might as well just put on the latest which to my knowledge is 1.4. i have this player so feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions about it.

good luck and enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, terms confused... Everything is connected via HDMI. Right now, I am watching Prince Caspian (7.1 DTS MA) and the recievefr is only outputing DTS 5.1??? Input?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Player only states Dolby THD. That may be the problem. Doesnt firmware 1.3 update both HD formats to bitstream.. By the way I found 1.3. Ive seen on here a lot of problems with 1.4. Dont know if I want to chance it

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1monkey /forum/post/15491242

Player only states Dolby THD. That may be the problem. Doesnt firmware 1.3 update both HD formats to bitstream.. By the way I found 1.3. Ive seen on here a lot of problems with 1.4. Dont know if I want to chance it

correct indeed-bitstreaming is enabled in 1.3 for both truehd and dtsmaHD. 1.4 is necessary (in my machine) to play a lot of the new movies without dropouts (or at all). samsung keeps the latest one on their website--i think I have most of them on my pc just in case though.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1monkey /forum/post/15491225

Yes, terms confused... Everything is connected via HDMI. Right now, I am watching Prince Caspian (7.1 DTS MA) and the recievefr is only outputing DTS 5.1??? Input?

make sure that you have the correct audio trakc selected--press teh audio button on the remote and you should be able to select the correct audio format--a dtsmaHD option should be there if it is on the disk. sometimes the player doesn;t seem to default to that format for some reason...

also make sure you have the setup menu set correctly in the audio section make sure pcm downconversion is turned off and that bitstream is selected. should work....

·
Registered
13,743 Posts
You need set your digital output to Bitstream(Audiophile) in order to get all codecs bistreamed to your AVR to decode. If you let player automatically update via internet, it will be 1.3. IIRC, 1.1 somehow broke the internet connection so you maynot be able to get the 1.3 updated this way. Otherwise, if you can download 1.4 from Samsung website.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Right setup for a recever that decodes is PCM. One of my receivers doesn't decode and I use the analog connection and Digital one. For True HD I'll set to PCM but for DTS HD I'll switch to Bitstream Audiophile. I guessing PCM is still uncompressed DTS but it just sounds better to me when you have DTS go digital.

·
Registered
13,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/15896309

Right setup for a recever that decodes is PCM.

Is that a typo or what? Since 5k can't decode DTS-HD, the right setup for a receiver that capable of decoding new codecs is Bitstream, not PCM (you will only get decoded DTS core 5.1 in PCM).

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Right right right, my receiver that doesn't decode gets PCM for True-HD but bitstream for DTS-HD. The onkyo with the decoding gets straight bitstream audiophile.

Not a typo, a twist-oh.

·
Banned
2,323 Posts
Also, when using the multichannel analog output from your player, it is irrelevant of the settings for the digital outputs. So it doesn't matter if you set your player for PCM,

Bitstream (Audiophile) or Bitstream (Re-encoded). Because it only affects the digital

HDMI output, and also the coaxial and optical digital outputs; and not the multichannel analog output.

________ Bob

·
Banned
2,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1monkey /forum/post/15491046

Got the 5000 w/ 1.1 firmware version. Bought a new Sony reciever w/ both DTS and Dolby HD audio decoders. I saw by reading that 1.1 only output 7.1 through component. New Sony reciever doesnt have 7.1 component only HDMI. Also ssaw that firmware 1.3 introduced bitstream for both DTS and Dolby. The only firmware I can find on Samsung website is 1.4. Now for the question... Does 1.4 contain ALL previous version releases? If not, where can I get 1.3. REALLY want to get 7.1 going. Thanks in advance! Scott

Hi Scott,

Version 1.4 firmware update contains all previous firmwares.

And it is the latest one.

No need for previous firmwares.

Also version 1.4 is the best one for all recent disc problems.

I own the BD-UP5000, and I am running version 1.4 with the most success

of any previous firmwares. But if your TV is 1080p with 24fps capable, you

might want to check the thread "BD-UP5000 problem discs", about

Paramount and Dreamworks titles.

_______ Bob

Note: If you insist on getting version 1.3, call Samsung and request that they send you the disc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts