AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I exchanged my 'S' panel LN40B550 at Best Buy due to bad clouding on the screen, and they gave me a 'C' panel since they had no 'S' panels in stock. (In case you don't know, 'S' panels are made in Korea by Samsung, 'C' panels are a cheap knock-off made in Taiwan by Chi Mei Optoelectronics. Both TVs are being sold at Best Buy as the Samsung LN40B550K1F.)


I decided to take the TV home anyway, as both 'S' and 'C' panels are supposedly made to the same specifications. Of course it turned out to be noticeably inferior to the 'S' panel I had (poor contrast ratio, blueish blacks, poor off-angle viewing), so I returned the TV a week later to try and get another 'S' panel. Best Buy still had no 'S' panels in stock, except for two on the showroom floor, which they are apparently using to fool customers into buying an inferior 'C' panel. They also wouldn't immediately return my money, even though I paid cash, saying it could be 2-3 WEEKS before I received a refund in the mail.


What Samsung and Best Buy are doing with the LN40B550 is nothing short of consumer fraud. Samsung is sending Best Buy a few quality, Korean-made units mostly for display on the showroom floor, but then most customers who purchase the model are given an inferior TV with a different type of panel made by a different company. While I think it's perfectly acceptable for Samsung to outsource panels to different companies, it is totally unacceptable for them to use panels for the SAME model. Given that Best Buy is only displaying 'S' panels on the showroom, there is clearly a bait-and switch going on here, and someone needs to file a lawsuit against both companies.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
it's not best buy's fault its samsung
 

· Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18123690


I exchanged my 'S' panel LN40B550 at Best Buy due to bad clouding on the screen, and they gave me a 'C' panel since they had no 'S' panels in stock. (In case you don't know, 'S' panels are made in Korea by Samsung, 'C' panels are a cheap knock-off made in Taiwan by Chi Mei Optoelectronics. Both TVs are being sold at Best Buy as the Samsung LN40B550K1F.)


I decided to take the TV home anyway, as both 'S' and 'C' panels are supposedly made to the same specifications. Of course it turned out to be noticeably inferior to the 'S' panel I had (poor contrast ratio, blueish blacks, poor off-angle viewing), so I returned the TV a week later to try and get another 'S' panel. Best Buy still had no 'S' panels in stock, except for two on the showroom floor, which they are apparently using to fool customers into buying an inferior 'C' panel. They also wouldn't immediately return my money, even though I paid cash, saying it could be 2-3 WEEKS before I received a refund in the mail.


What Samsung and Best Buy are doing with the LN40B550 is nothing short of consumer fraud. Samsung is sending Best Buy a few quality, Korean-made units mostly for display on the showroom floor, but then most customers who purchase the model are given an inferior TV with a different type of panel made by a different company. While I think it's perfectly acceptable for Samsung to outsource panels to different companies, it is totally unacceptable for them to use panels for the SAME model. Given that Best Buy is only displaying 'S' panels on the showroom, there is clearly a bait-and switch going on here, and someone needs to file a lawsuit against both companies.


Hate to break it to you but I guarantee BB has no idea what panel they are displaying vs selling. There are probably less S panel in proportion to C panels, and it's just working out that way. EVERY Best Buy in America would have to be displaying S panels on the showroom floor, and selling a majority of C panels for your argument to be valid.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
Also good luck finding an s panel with a perfect uniformity polls show at least 60% have this problem
 

· Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser /forum/post/18123787


Hate to break it to you but I guarantee BB has no idea what panel they are displaying vs selling. There are probably less S panel in proportion to C panels, and it's just working out that way. EVERY Best Buy in America would have to be displaying S panels on the showroom floor, and selling a majority of C panels for your argument to be valid.

My BB has a bunch of 40B550 'C' panels in stock, no 'S' panels, and yet the only two display units are 'S' panels. Come on, they know what they're doing. The Geek Squad at BB repairs TVs, and I'm sure those people know Samsung is using different panels for this model. They obviously have a 2009 Samsung service manual, and that manual states clearly there are two types of panel used for the 40B550.


I don't see why it's BS to complain when a company is selling two different products as the same product. I mean, how many people would order a Mustang with a V-8 and then NOT complain when their dealer gave them a Mustang with a V-6?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
The Panel maufacturer's are all meeting the specifidcations that Samsung requires of them.

The fact that the panels from one manufacturer may exceed the Samsung minimum specifications and therefore provide better PQ is good for those that get those panels. As long as Samsung and the stores are selling units that meet the publsihed Samsung specifications there is certainly no fraud envolved.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18123690


I decided to take the TV home anyway, as both 'S' and 'C' panels are supposedly made to the same specifications.

You made the decision to accept what you believed to be an inferior product. You have nothing to complain about.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18124300


The Panel maufacturer's are all meeting the specifidcations that Samsung requires of them.

The fact that the panels from one manufacturer may exceed the Samsung minimum specifications and therefore provide better PQ is good for those that get those panels. As long as Samsung and the stores are selling units that meet the publsihed Samsung specifications there is certainly no fraud envolved.

you sir win this thread.



I'd love to know how you can even see the increased black levels on the S panels in a BB store anyways. I've been to many BB locations and they always setup the store the same way and the TV's in the main area where you will find this model are in too bight of lighting conditions to even tell the difference between the blacks on a plasma vs an insignia crap LCD sitting right next to it, plus if you could see them in a darker more normal setting nobody would buy samsungs because they would see flashlights and clouds on every S panel on the floor
 

· Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18124300


The Panel maufacturer's are all meeting the specifidcations that Samsung requires of them. The fact that the panels from one manufacturer may exceed the Samsung minimum specifications and therefore provide better PQ is good for those that get those panels. As long as Samsung and the stores are selling units that meet the publsihed Samsung specifications there is certainly no fraud envolved.

I was one of those people who got a better panel, and then because I had to do an exchange, I got a worse panel. BB clearly has an obligation to give me the same TV as before. They can't give me an inferior TV and claim it was an even exchange.


Furthermore, I don't buy that 'C' panels meet the same minimum specifications as 'S' panels. The viewing angle on the 'C' panel clearly isn't 178 degrees, and the listed contrast ratio is nowhere near being accurate. I had an LN32B540 'C' panel before, which is only rated at 60,000:1, and it had far superior blacks to the 40B550 I have now, which proves that Samsung's specifications are completely bogus. It's absurd to argue 'C' panels meet *minimum specifications* when the specifications have no independent verification.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I am still not seeing how this has anything to do with Best Buy. I own an LG 47LH30 and LG uses 2 panels on that set as well but it is not like I could blame the retailer I purchased it from if I didn't get the panel I wanted.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18124470


I was one of those people who got a better panel, and then because I had to do an exchange, I got a worse panel. BB clearly has an obligation to give me the same TV as before. They can't give me an inferior TV and claim it was an even exchange.


Furthermore, I don't buy that 'C' panels meet the same minimum specifications as 'S' panels. The viewing angle on the 'C' panel clearly isn't 178 degrees, and the listed contrast ratio is nowhere near being accurate. I had an LN32B540 'C' panel before, which is only rated at 60,000:1, and it had far superior blacks to the 40B550 I have now, which proves that Samsung's specifications are completely bogus. It's absurd to argue 'C' panels meet *minimum specifications* when the specifications have no independent verification.

60,000:1 is the DCR...not the true contrast ratio.


Best Buy has an obligation to give you 40B550 as a replacement...which they did. It is not their fault that Samsung uses 2 different panels.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18124411


You made the decision to accept what you believed to be an inferior product. You have nothing to complain about.

How exactly was I supposed to confirm the 'C' panel was inferior without hooking it up, calibrating it, and testing PQ with various sources? For all I knew, the superiority of 'S' panels was an internet myth.


Why are you siding with Samsung anyway? You really believe it's ethical to sell two different TVs labeled as the same model?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18124248


My BB has a bunch of 40B550 'C' panels in stock, no 'S' panels, and yet the only two display units are 'S' panels. Come on, they know what they're doing. The Geek Squad at BB repairs TVs, and I'm sure those people know Samsung is using different panels for this model. They obviously have a 2009 Samsung service manual, and that manual states clearly there are two types of panel used for the 40B550.


I don't see why it's BS to complain when a company is selling two different products as the same product. I mean, how many people would order a Mustang with a V-8 and then NOT complain when their dealer gave them a Mustang with a V-6?

Your argument only holds water if Samsung advertises that all of their panels are "S" panels or if they say that their "S" panels are better than the "C" panels.


Do you ever watch food commercials on TV and see how yummy the food looks? Do you ever see actual food that looks as good in person as what was shown in the commercials? The tomatoes in the Burger Whopper commercial look red, ripe, and juicy. The ones I have gotten at every Burger King I've eaten at are sometimes barely pink. I used to ***** about them, but now I just don't eat them or I order something else.


As for your Mustang analogy, that is really off the wall. You aren't comparing apples & oranges. If the Samsung box said there was a 40" TV inside and there was only a 32", then you would have an argument.


As long as the LCD panel meets the minimum technical specifications for the product, in this case the B550, and no other promises "expressed or implied" are given, I think you and all other disgruntled Samsung buyers or prospective buyers are SOL (Simply Out of Luck).


By the way, I have an A650 with an "S" panel and a B650 with an "A" panel and both are perfectly fine with deep blacks, vibrant colors, and good off-angle viewing.


Lastly, my comment about this being a BS thread had to do with the "filing a lawsuit" part rather than the complaining part. There's a big thread for complaining about the Samsung panel "lottery."


However, since this is the USA where anybody can sue anybody else, I wish you success if you want to go that route although I'm guessing you have about as much chance as a fart in a whirlwind. Personally, I'd just be glad to get my money back if I wasn't happy.


I hope your refund will allow you to get the TV you really want and can tolerate.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18124530


For all I knew, the superiority of 'S' panels was an internet myth.

But you obviously were aware that there were concerns about the quality differences between the two panels, yet you went ahead and accepted the "C" panel anyway. Bad on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18124530


Why are you siding with Samsung anyway? You really believe it's ethical to sell two different TVs labeled as the same model?

Manufacturers outsource components from all over the world. I would be willing to bet that there are many other parts in the tv that come from different manufacturers in different countries. Auto manufacturers source parts and build cars all over the world. Is it unethical to call a "Ford" a "Ford" because it was built in Canada from parts made in Mexico? Wake up. This is business in the 21st century.


Personally, I only buy Sony tvs.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
8,922 Posts
"I decided to take the TV home anyway...."


I really feel bad for you. I too would be disappointed.


The good news is that BB is going to return your money. Waiting for BB to cut the check is a PITA, but that's all.


Now you can try to figure out what you are going to do from here.


Try not to take any of this personally. There's a good reason for the gigantic thread about the Samsung panel lottery.


Lastly, it seems like a TV that I have some interest in, the Vizio 551 had some changes made to during the time it still carried the same model number.


The one in the store looks great. When I heard that there had been some (supposedly) , minor changes, I felt that I might be taking a big chance on being disappointed if I bought anything other than the floor model. But that one probably has 10,000 hours.


I sincerely hope that you can find something that meets your needs. Here is one that may interest you: Toshiba 40XV645U.


Best Regards
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
All electronics manufacturers have a disclaimer in their product manuals that protects them from being charged with fraud for this type of thing. They all tell consumers that the product may change during the production run but that the specifications of the product will be met.


This means that if they run out of a certain brand of capacitors, or, choose a different manufacturer during the run, they have the right to do so.


Having different panels in the same model pushes this disclaimer to the extreme, as this is the main component in the set.


Fortunately, the op had access to this forum to gain knowledge and bought from a merchant that allows returns to put things right.


BB is about as slimy as a business can be, but in this case, I doubt there is any conspiracy for them to show the consumer one thing and give them another. This would work better for a retailer that charges some restocking fee, or refuses to accept functioning returns.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/18124590


As for your Mustang analogy, that is really off the wall. You aren't comparing apples & oranges. If the Samsung box said there was a 40" TV inside and there was only a 32", then you would have an argument.


As long as the LCD panel meets the minimum technical specifications for the product, in this case the B550, and no other promises "expressed or implied" are given, I think you and all other disgruntled Samsung buyers or prospective buyers are SOL (Simply Out of Luck).

Since Samsung decides what the contrast ratio, viewing angle, and other minimum specifications are, how can consumers be certain that both panels meet those specifications? The owner's manual says specifications are subect to change without notice anyway, so why then couldn't Samsung sell a 26" Vizio with an 800:1 contrast ratio and claim it's the same as an LN40B550?

Quote:
By the way, I have an A650 with an "S" panel and a B650 with an "A" panel and both are perfectly fine with deep blacks, vibrant colors, and good off-angle viewing.

I really haven't see anyone complain about the AUO panels used in 6 and 7 series models. Clearly it's the CMO panels that are junk. IIRC, Samsung only uses a CMO panel in ONE higher end model - the 55B650.

Quote:
However, since this is the USA where anybody can sue anybody else, I wish you success although I'm guessing you have about as much chance as a fart in a whirlwind.

Given that both major parties and the judiciary in this country are owned by corporations and that most Americans think businessmen are always right, I doubt even Toyota owners (assuming some are still alive) could win reparations at this point. In fact, I would bet most juries in this country would not only find in Toyota's favor, they would chastise the car owners for being poor drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18124666


Manufacturers outsource components from all over the world. I would be willing to bet that there are many other parts in the tv that come from different manufacturers in different countries. Auto manufacturers source parts and build cars all over the world. Is it unethical to call a "Ford" a "Ford" because it was built in Canada from parts made in Mexico? Wake up. This is business in the 21st century.

A double A battery is a double A battery. It works the same and lasts about as long whether it's made by Toshiba or Rayovac. Obviously no one is going to complain because Samsung includes different brands of AA batteries with their TVs, but using functionally equivalent components is clearly not the same as calling two completely different LCD panels the same TV.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 /forum/post/18124248


... I don't see why it's BS to complain when a company is selling two different products as the same product. I mean, how many people would order a Mustang with a V-8 and then NOT complain when their dealer gave them a Mustang with a V-6?

Your analogy would be more correct to state Ford suppling V-8's manufactured at two different factories and used in the same Mustang platform. Which by the way they (Ford) have been doing easily since the 1960's. In Ford's case, a classic example was the 351 Windsor and Cleveland; the Cleveland being the more desirable engine to have in your Mustang back in the day.


The Windsor was made in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, the Cleveland was made in Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topic...cleveland.html


It's difficult to find any manufacture in the world that doesn't do something like this, especially for high volume products. It keeps the cost down.


You can whine and complain or you can get yourself an attorney and file the necessary charges.


Whining and complaining will be much cheaper vs. the attorney solution. The end results will be the same.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,097 Posts
The balls of people on this forum sometimes. I dont give a crap what he brought home. He thought he was getting one particular TV and got another. Simple. Everyone here is so quick to label people as scammers or someone with another BS story. All they're doing is throwing stones in a glass house.


To the OP, I feel your pain and too would be PISSED. I sent back 3 Sammy 5084 50 inch plasmas till they sent me one that worked. Happened to be a A650 so I was finally happy. Take it back and get the TV you want. If your anything remotely like me, your spending very hard earned money.
 
1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top