AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to deversify and buy a BR player to go along with my Toshiba HD A1. I found the Samsung BP1000 on eBay for 175. Is this a good player? I know it's an early model and have read that it is slow to boot up. My TV only does 1080i (no P yet, too old).

Should I have saved my money and got a new Sony player for $299 (with 5 free discs?) I was just curious. I was thinking I was getting a deal with the Samsung.

Could someone with this player mentino the positives and negatives on this player?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the player didn't come with a remote, but I have a Samung HTiB and I think the remote will work with this. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just got one on ebay also.. after putting on the new firmware mine seems to be a decent player. when I bought it the woman said it worked right 95% of the time but occasionally "the loading mechanism would stick". I bought it with buy it now for $100 shipping included and thought I would give it a shot. So far, the only movie I have played is spidey 5 but that is a movie that some were supposedly having problems playing. Before I updated the firmware the player showed the firmware was from july 06 and spidey wouldnt load up. With the new firmware installed it worked perfect. I would have to say I think you did ok but make sure you update the firmware immediately.

Also, mine came with the remote, but I use a hrmony and the harmony seems to control it fine. So, if you have to get a remote just buy a harmony..

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrochaos /forum/post/12983733

Also, the player didn't come with a remote, but I have a Samung HTiB and I think the remote will work with this. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have the BDP1000 and it's a good player, but I don't think I would invest $175 in one. It has done everything I've asked it to, and with all the latest updates it plays everything I have asked as well. However, I'll probably update in a few months to a newer player. Bigboar scored one for $100, and that's a reasonable price. Seeing that the one you are looking at doesn't come with a remote, that's another negative. I don't believe the HTIB remote will operate the player, so you will have to order one either from Samsung or another outlet (or get a Harmony remote, but they can add up in price). If you can wait a while that would be the best advice (unless you can score one for around $100). There are going to be a few newer players coming out very soon, and I imagine there will be sales on the older players as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts