AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a samsung pn58b550 last week and while the picture is amazing I am having problems with how bright it is. I upgraded from a small lcd and even though it sucked, I liked the tv. I am considering taking the plasma back and buying the ln55b650 or possibly the 55LH40. I want a brighter picture and this samsung has the infamous buzz. Will I regret this choice?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
How can you like a TV that "Sucked". I assume you meant you prefer the LCD viewing vs Plasma and of course Plasma's have had a history of the Buzz for years with many brands especially if your at higher altitudes.

If you prefer the Sucked panel over the Buzz then swap out but perhaps you could start a Poll on what panel SUCKS the most and buy it.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18146977

how can you like a tv that "sucked". I assume you meant you prefer the lcd viewing vs plasma and of course plasma's have had a history of the buzz for years with many brands especially if your at higher altitudes.

If you prefer the sucked panel over the buzz then swap out but perhaps you could start a poll on what panel sucks the most and buy it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If you want to scorch your retna sure get an lcd

The plasma will have an overall better picture in most viewing conditions

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18147919

If you want to scorch your retna sure get an lcd

The plasma will have an overall better picture in most viewing conditions

Like the well lit rooms that most people have? Your plasma vs LCD posts are starting to get tiring.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18147935

Like the well lit rooms that most people have? Your plasma vs LCD posts are starting to get tiring.

frito is still in the midst of his LCD to Plasma catharsis. His Panny 720P 50 X 1 is the greatest thing since Jiff Omega 3 Peanut Butter.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18148163

frito is still in the midst of his LCD to Plasma catharsis. His Panny 720P 50 X 1 is the greatest thing since Jiff Omega 3 Peanut Butter.

+1, because that entry-level plasma trumps every non-local dimming LCD with it's rising black levels and oversaturated reds and greens. Did I mention it offers more detail than a 1080p LCD even though it's 720p?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18147935

That would be a situation that a MATTE screen LCD would be the best way to go provided the room does get a lot of direct sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18148163

don't get me wrong LCD is good but in many situations plasma is better. esp when you take cost into account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/18148347

+1, because that entry-level plasma trumps every non-local dimming LCD with it's rising black levels and oversaturated reds and greens. Did I mention it offers more detail than a 1080p LCD even though it's 720p?

your statement does not deserve a response.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18148741

That would be a situation that a MATTE screen LCD would be the best way to go provided the room does get a lot of direct sunlight.

LCDs are also brighter than plasmas, working better in rooms with bright ambient light (again: the typical viewing environment). Plasmas tend to be better where ambient light can be controlled. It's not just a matte vs reflective issue.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18148884

LCDs are also brighter than plasmas, working better in rooms with bright ambient light (again: the typical viewing environment). Plasmas tend to be better where ambient light can be controlled. It's not just a matte vs reflective issue.

while that is true most modern plasmas are bright enough for most people's houses even in the daytime.

we have a large sliding glass door on the wall to the left when looking directly at the plasma and a normal size window on the same wall as the plasma to the right of it and i do not even need to change the picture settings to see the TV clearly in the daytime nor do we need to close blinds to see it

its really one of those things that are totally blown out of proportion with plasmas

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18148978

while that is true most modern plasmas are bright enough for most people's houses even in the daytime.

we have a large sliding glass door on the wall to the left when looking directly at the plasma and a normal size window on the same wall as the plasma to the right of it and i do not even need to change the picture settings to see the TV clearly in the daytime nor do we need to close blinds to see it

its really one of those things that are totally blown out of proportion with plasmas

Everyone is different in how reflection/glare effects their viewing experience so let people decide that for themselves.

If you have converted and you now prefer plasma over LCD fine, I can appreciate that but come on...you have made some good contributions to this forum, don't become one of "those guys" and start turning threads into a plasma vs LCD debate....you have been around enough to know how little it takes.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/18149110

Everyone is different in how reflection/glare effects their viewing experience so let people decide that for themselves.

If you have converted and you now prefer plasma over LCD fine, I can appreciate that but come on...you have made some good contributions to this forum, don't become one of "those guys" and start turning threads into a plasma vs LCD debate....you have been around enough to know how little it takes.

I agree.

honestly I'm not the one that has instigated anything in this thread

The OP wanted to know if he would regret returning his plasma and buying an LCD.

I responded with my opinion that was I will admit a little smart in the way i worded it but i said that LCD will be brighter than plasma but overall the picture quality will be better on the plasma. this is my opinion having owned both technologies

I proceeded to get attacked by the usual suspects on these LCD forums much in the way I'm sure they would be attacked if they posted pro LCD comments over in the plasma section

I did not start the fight here the OP did in asking a real question I simply gave him my opinion on the subject

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
For the record, I'm neither a LCD or Plasma fan... I'm a fan of overall PQ. Not all Plasmas have the issues I brought up.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18148978

But the OP is the one saying that the plasma is too dim for his taste. Normally, I would recommend he keep the 58" plasma for the size advantage alone, but he has clearly stipulated his desire (and reason) for interest in an LCD. So, in my opinion, your 'smart' plasma vs LCD comment was nothing short of gratuitous.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/18149473

For the record, I'm neither a LCD or Plasma fan... I'm a fan of overall PQ. Not all Plasmas have the issues I brought up.

I'm a fan of both as well but for living room TV use i honestly think that plasma has the edge in most situations

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Most homes aren't lit up like a new-car showroom, so plasma should be fine in all but a few cases.

That being said the OP has already said his plasma buzzes annoyingly and isn't bright enough to suit him, so an lcd would better suit his taste and/or room lighting conditions. If he's willing to take the financial hit and lesser pq then more power to him.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18149716

Most homes aren't lit up like a new-car showroom, so plasma should be fine in all but a few cases.

That being said the OP has already said his plasma buzzes annoyingly and isn't bright enough to suit him, so an lcd would better suit his taste and/or room lighting conditions. If he's willing to take the financial hit and lesser pq then more power to him.

Yep you summed it up pretty well Steve. better than i could

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.