AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I gather it seems to be just an anti reflective coating, is that all that it is? Samsungs website lists the c8000 as 7M:1 CR and the c7000/c6500 as 5M:1 CR. The only difference between these as far as Contrast Ratio seems to be the Real Black filter but here is the part I don't get. If the real black filter is just an anti reflective coating then how would it increase the overall contrast ratio in general. If you have all 3 of the TV's in a completely dark basement the real black filter won't have any effect on the picture because there are no reflections to reduce so how would the c8000 have a better contrast ratio then? For the real black filter to make the contrast ratio +2M:1 it has to be doing something more then just being an anti reflective coating either that or it is just an AR filter and Samsung is just saying it has a better contrast ratio cause it handles bright rooms better but doesn't actually have a better contrast ratio when all the TVs are in a light controlled room.

Any opinions or insight into this?

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's a filter that is really black. It has no effect on actual black level but increases apparent contrast ratio under bright lighting.

·
Registered
919 Posts
As has been said, these mega dynamic CR's are simply marketing.

The HDGuru reviews of the C8000 and VT25 mentioned that both TVs attenuate off-axis light in a similar fashion. Their VT25 review stated that Panasonic is using a micro-louvered anti-glare filter bonded directly to the glass (basically a privacy filter you'd see on a laptop screen, but rotated 90 deg). The black filter on the 8000 would appear to work similarly, as glare is diminshed at the expense of a somewhat narrower vertical viewing angle.

In terms of more realistic #'s, I know ChadB measured a checkerboard CR of 3050:1 on the PN63C7000.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18455247

Home Theater Mag reported a Full-On/Full-Off Contrast Ratio of 4274:1 on the PN58C7000.
http://www.hometheater.com/3d-flat-p...tv/index4.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts