AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of last year's model ccfl backlit lcd samsung tv but before I pull the trigger, how much brighter are these old ccfl backlit samsung lcd hdtv's compared with the new samsung led backlit hdtv's? I heard that the 3d capable versions of these newer led backlit hdtv's were a little brighter than the non-3d capable versions? I usually watch in the dark. Thanks

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog schnorkl /forum/post/20875499

I am considering the purchase of last year's model ccfl backlit lcd samsung tv but before I pull the trigger, how much brighter are these old ccfl backlit samsung lcd hdtv's compared with the new samsung led backlit hdtv's? I heard that the 3d capable versions of these newer led backlit hdtv's were a little brighter than the non-3d capable versions? I usually watch in the dark. Thanks

It would be highly beneficial to know which models of each technology you are considering so that we could give accurate advice.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Regardless of model year, LED lit sets have a little bit higher maximum light output, but nothing like the difference between maxed out Plasma vs maxed out LED or LCD.

This years Samsung 3D sets are a bit brighter in 3D mode than last years 3D sets were.

No difference between this years and last years in 2D. In 2D mode there's no perceptible difference in max light output among this years and last years 2D and 3D models. Could just be less tint on Samsung's '11 model year bluetooth glasses vs last year's IR glasses.

Note that any set in full out torch mode is going to crush whites and in general give poorer pq than if they're toned down a bit. This doesn't mean you have to put up with a dark picture to get accurate color, just not to expect it at maxed out light output.

If very bright is good enough and you don't need all out retina-burning intensity I'd recommend the CCFL sets for their more uniform screen illumination--minimal flashlighting and clouding compared to the problematic LED edge lit Samsungs.

If ya gotta have LED, buy a Sharp or Sony.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am considering the samsung LN46C750 which is last year's LCD with CCFL backlights or this year's samsung UN46Dxxxx models with LED backlights. They have eco sensor dimming although they are not full array LED, only edge lit, the 6900 uses eco sensor and micro dimming and 7000 uses micro dimming technologies. The other question about these models is how to see what they look like in a store with program material that I will not be viewing when I get it home and use it. BB's dark room did show that I prefer the LCD/LED 46" set better than both 51" and 60" plasma sets with same programming on all three of them on account of the plasma showed more "noise" according to what the salesman called it and the darkness I described, especially on the whites. The color was better on the plasmas and even though the 3D effect was way better on the plasmas I don't like it, even for sports. These three tv's in the dark room were playing yet a different programming source than the sets on the back wall of the main showroom which had a different programming source than that which was played on their tv's in the front of the store which were more isolated as only two or three tv's and they were hit with more sunlight from the windows but also the flourescnet lighting like those tv's along the main wall in the back of the store. I'm also thinking of buying two - 1) 40" for the den that the kids will use for sports tv (mostly tennis and pro wrestling) and ps3 gaming, and 2) a 46" for my bedroom where we will watch turner movie classics mostly in black and white, efx tv series, and tennis along with news, shopping channel. Mostly it's for my wife.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am also undecided about the way the picture looked on the UN46D7000 as it had a little too much of an etched look to it as compared with the UN4D6900 and it was explained to me that that was on account of the 6900 has a 120KHZ refresh rate and the 7000 has a 240KHZ refresh rate. The LN46C750 has a 240KHZ refresh rate and some of the people who wrote about having that same experience. You can't completely get 120KHZ out of it. You can turn it off and get 60KHZ or do "240KHZ mitigation" with settings that offer degrees of 240KHZ. What complicated my experience was, the 6900was playing a different (a promotional travel scenes) ble ray video and the 7000 some nature blu ray playing on it facing opposite the back wall with the living room chair and surround sound system simulation area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.