AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung TX-R3079WH. It's had problems in the past, but I can't figure this one out.

Last night it turned itself off, but attempted to turn itself back on without success. When I press "power" it plays the little jingle, the red light flashes, but the screen never powers on. A few seconds later the "off" jingle plays, a second or two passes, and the "on" jingle plays. Rinse, repeat. It will do this forever if I don't unplug it.

I tried unplugging it overnight with no success. Any suggestions? When I plug it back in, I do hear the deguassing coil coming on and the set clicks, but it still won't turn the screen on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Take it apart and change all capacitors in the power supply. If that doesn't help, the flyback may be shot. But it's certainly worth a try, all the caps won't run you more than $15.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm an electronics novice, and have never attempted a repair like that. Is it easy to do? Is there anyplace I can find instructions for doing so?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The main capacitors aren't hard to replace, they are big and easy to unsolder and solder back together. However, if you aren't handy with a soldering iron you should not attempt this repair and ask someone else to do it.

Also be aware that dangerous voltage is present in those capacitors even when the set is unplugged from the mains. They must be discharged before any operation is attempted on them. Ideally this should be done with a high impedance resistor, but touching their leads together with a screwdriver that has a well-insulated handle will do the trick and with a little spark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts