AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Editor
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

CNET's David Katzmaier reports that Samsung has no plans to produce a new line of premium plasma TVs . Instead, the company will continue building its top-of-the-line PNxxF8500 through 2014. Unfortunately, the only new Samsung plasma model this year—the 64-inch PN64H5000—is not aimed at the high-end market. Prior to this news, there was an expectation throughout the industry that Samsung would release a more affordable version of the F8500—the rumored H7000 series.

Samsung's F8500 is a reference-quality 1080p plasma TV introduced in 2013

Quote:
"Given the popularity of the award-winning F8500 series and requests from retail partners, Samsung will carryover the series into 2014 instead of adding a new mid-tier series," said a company statement supplied to CNET, in reference to a question seeking an update in the H7000." Source: David Katzmaier, CNET

According to the article, John Ryu, VP of Samsung's Visual Display R&D division, already made a comment that provides no comfort for plasma fans. At CES 2014, Ryu told CNET that Samsung sees no future for plasma.

Quote:
"He said that he does not think the technology has a future beyond 2014 at his company. He cited the difficulty of making a cost-effective 4K version--reportedly a factor in Panasonic's pull-out--and the overall cost of production compared to LED LCD." source: David Katzmaier, CNET

With this move, it appears that Samsung has sealed plasma's fate—at least when it comes to high-end models, the party is over. Do you agree that Samsung's F8500 is the last truly great plasma TV? Do you think 2014 represents the end of the line for the original—and some still say best—flat-panel TV technology?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Here's hoping my Pioneer 141 lasts until OLED or something better becomes somewhat affordable....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Unfortunately it's the swan song. No LCD or LED can compete with the ZT60 or 8500. I guess ZT60 owners can take comfort (along with 9.5g Kuro owners) in having the best TVs ever made. You won't see anything top plasma until UHD OLED... Assuming they ever come to market.

Reactions: vinnie97

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff  /t/1525192/samsung-curtains-for-premium-plasma#post_24552535

Here's hoping my Pioneer 141 lasts until OLED or something better becomes somewhat affordable....

+1 for my Kuro as well.

Reactions: dnoonie

·
Registered
836 Posts
Who do you think the guy is at Samsung sitting behind his desk thinking "Hmm.. You know what's a good idea? Let's replace our top of the line tv that everyone thinks is awesome with gimmicky curved screen models that nobody wants?" I bet he got a fat raise too for that tid-bit of lunacy.

·
Registered
87 Posts

This is really too bad to hear. We purchased our latest plasma in Fall of 2013, so just like the guy above here's hoping it lasts until OLED is stable and not overly costly.

May be worth picking up an 8500 or something just to keep in storage. Like Elaine when they stopped making the sponges.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
HAHA!

Ok, so when Pioneer stopped making the Kuro I was just behind having enough money to get one....now it seems to be pretty much the same situation about getting a good Panny or Samsung for me....

Maybe I will just go with something cheap and get a good projector?

·
Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater  /t/1525192/samsung-curtains-for-premium-plasma#post_24552550

Unfortunately it's the swan song. No LCD or LED can compete with the ZT60 or 8500. I guess ZT60 owners can take comfort (along with 9.5g Kuro owners) in having the best TVs ever made. You won't see anything top plasma until UHD OLED... Assuming they ever come to market.

I agree in general but would argue that my Sharp Elite is in the same class as the ZT60 and 8500. That tv is amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I hate to see a good tech die, but size is what a lot of folks want, and plasma was not going to get us there. My 75" in my living room is still too small and I don't want a 2nd mortgage to put something in the 95"+ range.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb  /t/1525192/samsung-curtains-for-premium-plasma#post_24552720

I agree in general but would argue that my Sharp Elite is in the same class as the ZT60 and 8500. That tv is amazing.

Please look at them side by side then let us know

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Sharp Elites are ok, but not close to the Panny haven't had the Samsung so I can't say there. Had 2 60" Sharp Elites a few months after they came out. Within two months of owning them out they went and back came a used pioneer Kuro. Next TV was a Panny VT 60 which to my eyes still topped the Sharp. Just from personal view.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by max1  /t/1525192/samsung-curtains-for-premium-plasma#post_24552876

The Sharp Elites are ok, but not close to the Panny haven't had the Samsung so I can't say there. Had 2 60" Sharp Elites a few months after they came out. Within two months of owning them out they went and back came a used pioneer Kuro. Next TV was a Panny VT 60 which to my eyes still topped the Sharp. Just from personal view.

That 's what I thought the ZT60 is the best TV ever made except for OLED 4K that is the new king

·
Registered
380 Posts
"Time to buy another power conditioner for my Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M."

I need my display to last until a technology capable of supplanting it arrives.

So say... a decade.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb  /t/1525192/samsung-curtains-for-premium-plasma#post_24552720

and unfortunately that seems equally unlikely to be matched anytime soon...

sucks, but at this point I'd much rather Samsung continue producing the f8500. at least if they continue selling, they will be profitable and perhaps we'll get two more years of f8500's instead one year of h7000's before they close up plasma shop for good.

I have to imagine that pretty much everybody that missed out last year is going to be buying an f8500 this year.

Reactions: kesando

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb  /t/1525192/samsung-curtains-for-premium-plasma#post_24553051

No offense but I have and I honestly think the Elite looks better (but I know this is subjective - to each his own).

In a bright room.........not in the bat cave.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Such a shame. I picked up two VT60s and hope that Samsung makes them through at least 2014 so maybe I will pick one up ans a backup to my backup VT60.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/1525192/samsung-curtains-for-premium-plasma#post_24552890

That 's what I thought the ZT60 is the best TV ever made except for OLED 4K that is the new king
But why must they curve them all? I won't go for that gimmick. I want a no nonsense, flat OLED. UHD is fine and 3D is negotiable, but until it's flat, I'm not interested.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts