AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that with my 51D7000, if I enable 3D mode, the screen suddenly becomes "alive" with a heavy layer of "noise" - I believe maybe dither noise but I'm not certain. It is visible very close to the set but hard to see from farther away, but up close it really looks terrible. It's easy to see on everything, but using the main menu background which is blue makes it even easier to notice the difference. If I pull up the main menu in 2D mode, the blue menu screen looks nice and clean. No noise whatsoever. As soon as I enable 3D mode, regardless of source or content, the entire screen gets covered in a heavy layer of moving noise. It disappears instantly when I go back to 2D mode again.

Samsung tech support is utterly useless. I have talked with tier 2 techs twice now with Samsung and they seem clueless. The first tech yesterday wanted to set up a service call and said that wasn't normal. The second tech today said it sounds normal and the screen always shakes when there is 2 images - she was totally incapable of understanding the difference between shaking and noise. So she said they wouldn't cover a service call. Meanwhile the local service dept called me back just 10 minutes ago and asked what the issue was and after explaining it to her she said that it doesn't sound normal and they might need to switch the motherboard. They are calling Samsung back now to talk to them and see why they won't authorize a service call. This tv is less than a month old still. So I don't know what to think about this now.

Does anybody here experience this issue when in 3D mode? Today the tech tried to tell me that I should normally see double images when in 3D mode - she can't comprehend that I'm not talking about double images, I'm talking about a layer of moving noise all over the screen. Is this called dithering? The black levels also go to hell when in 3D mode - the deep blacks are gone and everything has a washed-out look as well as all the digital noise. 3D mode is calibrated as close as I can get it to 2D mode - all the settings are the same except the 10-point color which is greyed out, yet the difference is like night-and-day between 2D and 3D modes. Should there be such a drastic difference between 2D and 3D? Any input would be helpful so I have some info to go on here.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Dumb question--do you see the noise while wearing the 3D glasses?

I've seen something like what you're talking about on the D550 demo set at work, but don't see it with the glasses on.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This sounds normal based on how you've described it. Just go to a local shop and confirm on a display model. The 3D glasses are going to mask most of the visible noise. That is also why the colors/blacks/etc change in 3D mode, everything has to be adjusted to offset the glasses inherent dimness and tinted lenses. FWIW, Panasonic's also have dramatically increased noise (and color/MLL shifts) in 3D modes as well (when viewed without glasses).

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out the D7000 and D8000 models in Best Buy today and the same thing happens in 3D mode on all the Samsung plasmas with the dithering noise so it is definitely normal for this type of set.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta /forum/post/20789163

This sounds normal based on how you've described it. Just go to a local shop and confirm on a display model. The 3D glasses are going to mask most of the visible noise. That is also why the colors/blacks/etc change in 3D mode, everything has to be adjusted to offset the glasses inherent dimness and tinted lenses. FWIW, Panasonic's also have dramatically increased noise (and color/MLL shifts) in 3D modes as well (when viewed without glasses).

normal.. an you are correct.. the pannys do the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts