AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Query from a newbie: we've had a Samsung D7000 tv for about 8 months, and tried recording to a G-drive USB disk. Slow & clunky to start up, need something better.

So now I'm looking at NAS. I like the sound of the Synology setups, they seem to suit Mac computers well, so that might be a place to store and serve all our old recordings (mostly on DVDs).

But the big question is: can I use a NAS as a Recording device for a Samsung "smart tv". ? Their e-manual only talks of USB-drives. Would the DLNA functions provide recording to a NAS?

What do you think guys?

DavidW

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have a PN64D7000 being delivered in the morning, so I'll confirm tomorrow, but I doubt there's any function of the TV that allows recording anywhere. Are you able to record video to the USB stick? You can use a PC w/ an OTA tuner to record and save the files to the NAS (which is also NOT a recording device), and (depending on the NAS), most likely be able to play media from the NAS on the TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean apart from using Smarthub to record to a USB hdd? My manual said you cannot record to a USB stick, and after finding the USB hdd did work, I tried a USB stick and indeed it does NOT work.

Recording to a USB drive is a bit slow and clunky to get going, so a dynamic decision to record immediately will miss a bit.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I was thinking more like being able to record broadcast TV, but can you elaborate on what you mean by recording from SmartHub to a USB HDD? Are you saying you can save content (i.e., from Netflix) to a HDD? I didn't see anything like this in the manual or in playing around w/ the SmartHub apps over the weekend.

Once connected to my network, the TV picked up my DLNA Buffalo TeraStation NAS, and I was able to play video, music, and photos stored there on the TV easily. I also liked that I could pull up a photo on my Galaxy S3 smartphone and throw it up on the screen from the phone. Pretty cool, though I don't know how often I'd use that in the future...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Er, no. i just mean recording broadcast tv, like a pvr. You use the standard media controls at the bottom of the remote. But first you have to plug in a USB disk, like a G-drive or better. You press Smarthub on the remote and navigate to to it. I can't tell you exactly as I have our G-drive in use for something else so I can't plug it in. Until you plug it in you won't see the HDD function in Smarthub.

In our case, as soon as I plugged it in Samsung formatted it to make it usable. I can't recall the details, but to instantly record the show that's on the tv you can just press the red Record button, at the bottom left of the Remote.

·
Registered
916 Posts

I'm digging through the online manual for my TV at Samsung.com while here at work, but can't find that function, but now I can't wait to try it out. I'm hoping I have a USB HDD laying around somewhere at home... That would be great for recording OTA channels while using my cable PVR for cable shows. Is there a Guide function to schedule recordings, or is it just what's on currently?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the UK, the Samsung D7000 models Remotes have a button called Guide. It's in the right-hand column, just above the central block . The button below it is called Info. Again I can't recall the details, but once you have a USB HDD connected I think the Guide, which is an EPG... No sorry, I really can't remember since we repurposed our USB HDD.

I can recall that with the HDD, you can pause live tv, I think using the Pause button (middle of the row 1up from the bottom); I call it the Two-finger icon (which is a rude gesture here!).

There are 2 ways to record live tv. 1 is like I said above:just pressing the red Record button , then a dialog pops up for you to specify how long to record. The other (quicker) way is to press the Info button then press the red A button.

if you poke around in Smarthub, you should see an alarm-clock icon for manually scheduling a recording.

if you press the Menu button, down at the end of the first col you should see Support. the first item in support is e-Manual. press the Up button twice and you get into a row of icons. iF instead you press the DOwn arrow 5times, you get to Index which you might want to explore. but first, after pressing Down 5 times, you might want to press left to get into the Help, which pops up a dialog offering eManual Guide. you need to be a bit quick here 'cos the dialog goes after a few seconds. The eManual is quite a good place to start, and I believe I found a copy of it on the web.

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs! And sorry for all the typos, I'm doing this on an iPad and I'm not that used to it yet.

Good luck, dw32.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts