AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun I went to chat support and asked about the firmware update for Samsung DLPs to run with adapter and the lady so no dice. I can tell I went over her head when mentioning updating my EDID and she pushed me to Tier2 lol. I'm gonna keep going until somebody knows what I'm talking about and can comfirm whether its going to happen or not.

·
Registered
802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illogical_Mind /forum/post/19507685

Just for fun I went to chat support and asked about the firmware update for Samsung DLPs to run with adapter and the lady so no dice. I can tell I went over her head when mentioning updating my EDID and she pushed me to Tier2 lol. I'm gonna keep going until somebody knows what I'm talking about and can comfirm whether its going to happen or not.

Well, you have to ask yourself, do you really think Samsung is going to spend time and money to put together a firmware update for out-of-warranty, and out-of-production televisions to add features to them? Why? I mean, perhaps in my happy place, they would do it out of the goodness of their hearts to make everyone happy, but I don't see that happening in the real world. Can you imagine the liability they'd be taking on if they supply a firmware update to these out-of-warranty televisions and a few of them get bricked? Whether it's due to a problem in the firmware, or to an impatient customer that cycles power because he thinks the update is taking too long, I would bet that the customer would hold Samsung responsible, and probably be getting on some forums bitching about how the update bricked his tv. If they give him a new tv, then you have to worry about the malicious customers or ones with existing problems with their tvs that would try to brick them on purpose and blame it on the firmware. There is no profit for them in this. I have a 67A750 and I wish they would make a firmware update that would allow me to just plug in new 2010 3D devices into my 2008 TV, but just because I wish it were so, doesn't mean that I believe it will happen.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n /forum/post/19507817

Well, you have to ask yourself, do you really think Samsung is going to spend time and money to put together a firmware update for out-of-warranty, and out-of-production televisions to add features to them? Why? I mean, perhaps in my happy place, they would do it out of the goodness of their hearts to make everyone happy, but I don't see that happening in the real world. Can you imagine the liability they'd be taking on if they supply a firmware update to these out-of-warranty televisions and a few of them get bricked? Whether it's due to a problem in the firmware, or to an impatient customer that cycles power because he thinks the update is taking too long, I would bet that the customer would hold Samsung responsible, and probably be getting on some forums bitching about how the update bricked his tv. If they give him a new tv, then you have to worry about the malicious customers or ones with existing problems with their tvs that would try to brick them on purpose and blame it on the firmware. There is no profit for them in this. I have a 67A750 and I wish they would make a firmware update that would allow me to just plug in new 2010 3D devices into my 2008 TV, but just because I wish it were so, doesn't mean that I believe it will happen.

Oh you have little faith!
Many companies do software / firmware updates on out of warranty products (PS3, Blu-ray players etc). From what I understand Samsung is doing this because that are selling Samsung 3D glasses to Mits for their 3D kits and would then get more sales of their glasses. Also it would keep people for looking elsewhere for 3D products and if someone ordered the Samsung 3D glasses they would probably be inclined to purchase Samsung 3D TVs in the future. I have done the EDID update without any problems I as of now I know of no one who as bricked their Samsung DLP by doing the EDID update.

In several months we will know if the firmware update is a reality - I believe it is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The reality is, the online first tier customer support representative is going to be the last to know anything. They are simply reading a script and until something official is released into the channels, they won't have anything to say about it. That said, there is nothing in the other thread that actually confirms the existence of such a firmware update. While I am just as hopeful as the rest of us, what proof actually exists other than a poster allegedly emailed a Samsung exec in Canada? Paul, I hope you are right but at this point, everything is conjecture.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know customer support is usless for this info, but i'll just keep moving through the tiers and get as far as I can to see what i get. If i get up in the tech support ranks and they say, "yes, its in the works but no official release date" then we have something.

I'm not saying that other guy is BS, but an e-mail direct from the pres of samsung? That man doesn't care if you even own a samsung TV. He probably doesn't even have one himself. I already did the EDID update and my TV is doing great. This was just giving me something to do on a slow day at work.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Good business move...a win-win-win for both companies and consumers.

1.Mitsubishi bundled Samsung's glasses with the converter kit.

2.Samsung bundled Mitsubishi's converter with their own glasses.

3.DLP 3D-Ready owners are happy as clams.

Samsung marketed the DLP set at the time as 3D-Ready. I was the 'dumb' fell for it because of the 'early adopter' in me. I had the same mindset as 'HD-Ready' sets...plenty of HD source components to connect later on. If Samsung won't release firmware to support 3D source components, they would at least implement checkerboard output from their blu-ray player lines. So Far they have done NONE. If they are not going to do anything, I bet the next time I buy electronics, Samsung brand is the last one on the list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sent a message to Samsung asking about THEIR claim about furure-proofing" the DLP 3D TVs as follows:

On this page * Samsung claims, "Samsung 3D DLP TVs were designed for 3D gaming..." HOWEVER, Samsung stated in their earlier literature "3D HD ready Future-proof your HD experience" and "The HLT generation of Samsung DLP® HDTVs are capable of displaying future 3D games, movies, and other programming via 3D compatible glasses and hardware." WHY are you now limiting the TVs to just gaming and denying the "future-proof"??? I bought my 3D DLP in 2007 and three years later this "future-proof" is obsolete??? Your very own 3D BD players will not work on your very own "future-proof" 3D DLP TVs??? Mitsubishi is updating their firmware for their 3D DLPs to accept the 2010 3D signals! What about Samsung? Where is my "future-proof" YOU promised??? I want to know. Send an answer to: ######@#####.com.

* Not able to post the link.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I understant Samsung's 3D future proofing claim to apply to any future 3D product that ix capable of displaying future 3D games, movies, and other programming via 3D compatible glasses and hardware." with the 3D feature in the TVs at the time they were sold. For a company to guarantee that a product will work with any new products from other companies whose specifications don't even exist till several years in the future would make not sense and the should have been more clear with their marketing hype.

Mitsusbishi is only udating the firmware for two of their 4 2010 RP DLP TVs and no others and they announced that the upgrade would be forthcoming at the time that they announced the two 2010 models involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
walford,

If Panasonic was kind enough to incorporate the 3D DLP checkerboard output pattern in their 2010 3D BD players, why couldn't Samsung have been as kind for their RECENT (2007, 2008) DLP customers?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Certainly Samsung could have incorporated Checkerboard output into their BR-3D players and why they did not do so I have no idea. Samsung USA marketing always appears to just cave in to what the Samsung engineers in Korea decide what they want to implement without regard to what is desired/required for the US market.

I used to have a Samsung DLP RPTV but I now have and reccomend Vizio LCD models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts