AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm having a strange problem. I purchased a Samsung UN65H7100 from Costco (their version of the H7150) and use it for off-air broadcasts as well as other media. After about 6 weeks, the tuner started flaking out, giving me horrible blocking and dropouts on four consecutive channels (7,9,11,13) and all related sub-channels, worse on the lower numbers (oddly enough). I returned it for another unit, and the same occurred after a month. I should add there is no signal problem; this is definitely the TV. This has been repeatedly verified by other televisions including a 9-year-old Samsung plasma. Needless to say, this has me wondering where to go from here: a higher end Samsung (would it have the same digital tuner?), back to a Samsung plasma such as the H5000 (again, same tuner or not?), or to a different brand. I'm considering options 2 and 3 currently, but would appreciate any insight on the tuner and whether it differs among Samsung series or lines (LED vs. plasma). Barring any insights, I may end up with option 3.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

·
Registered
18,863 Posts
I don't think there are different tuner "versions" in mfr models. Most tuners nowadays from the major mfrs are all very good for OTA reception. I doubt that the panel type has anything to do with the internal ATSC tuner. You might want to go to TVFool.com, put in your address, and get the reception report for your area. Post that information in the Local HDTV forum that is specific for your area and see what the folks there have to say. If there are reception issues for your area they can help you. They can also look at your antenna setup and make recommendations for the type of antenna that would work best etc. It really does sound like a reception issue or an antenna alignment problem but it's free advice and may save you from buying a another tv.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post, Otto. I actually went through quite a bit of that years ago, locating the towers, setting up the correct gain distribution amp/antenna/etc. I've had excellent reception performance in the past on a 58" Samsung plasma and other sets around the house. When I view the signal information while the new Samsung H7100 is flaking out, it shows the strength and SNR all over the map. Doing the same on the other sets reveals that the signal is rock solid and stable. I've even taken one of the other sets to the new one and switched the coax, thus proving the issue is in the new set. As I said, this problem occurs across 4 channels (7/9/11/13), but only after a month or so of use. Without anything to suggest that the current Samsung plasma has a different tuner than the current Samsung LED, I'll likely move to a different brand (especially because I'm seeing several posts about Samsung tuner problems now that I'm looking) such as Sony or Sharp. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with their tuners. Thanks again!

·
Registered
18,863 Posts
Thanks for the post, Otto. I actually went through quite a bit of that years ago, locating the towers, setting up the correct gain distribution amp/antenna/etc. I've had excellent reception performance in the past on a 58" Samsung plasma and other sets around the house. When I view the signal information while the new Samsung H7100 is flaking out, it shows the strength and SNR all over the map. Doing the same on the other sets reveals that the signal is rock solid and stable. I've even taken one of the other sets to the new one and switched the coax, thus proving the issue is in the new set. As I said, this problem occurs across 4 channels (7/9/11/13), but only after a month or so of use. Without anything to suggest that the current Samsung plasma has a different tuner than the current Samsung LED, I'll likely move to a different brand (especially because I'm seeing several posts about Samsung tuner problems now that I'm looking) such as Sony or Sharp. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with their tuners. Thanks again!
FWIW, at the time of the digital transition I bought an LG HDTV STB for my "HDTV-Ready" Sony. It worked beautifully for a couple of years with no reception issues at all. At that time LG was making one of the best HDTV STB tuners around. Because of that, when we finally purchased our first HDTV, we looked long and hard at an LG and purchased one. It has also performed flawlessly for OTA.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
You should still take the advice to try in the antenna forum here on AVS for some help. You have not indicated where you are or what your situation is. But it could be that the newer tuner is overloading (too much signal) and you may need to attenuate it some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Otto for the LG endorsement, and thanks WS65711 for the response. I am in a strong signal area (just outside Baltimore and also receiving DC area stations), so have a medium roof antenna that is mounted indoors (attic) pointed away from Baltimore (the strongest stations) and towards DC (the more distant stations) with a medium gain distribution amp. The signal is split once before heading about 35 feet to the set in question. The previous Samsung set (now residing in the bedroom) worked flawlessly using this arrangement for over 5 years (and continues to do so). Both of the new sets were also flawless for about a 4-6 weeks before this issue arose. If it were one marginal signal, I would suspect signal strength (or over strength) issues, but seeing as it affects 4 consecutive channel groups (and no other sets), I'm inclined to suspect the tuner.

That said, I will take your advice to heart and experiment with attenuating the signal. Perhaps this tuner is more sensitive or less capable of attenuating a strong input signal than the others. If that's the case, attenuating the signal may correct it unless permanent damage is done. Regardless, I will give it a try. Thanks for the perspective! I could be too close to the problem and operating under a bad assumption.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
.... That said, I will take your advice to heart and experiment with attenuating the signal. Perhaps this tuner is more sensitive or less capable of attenuating a strong input signal than the others. If that's the case, attenuating the signal may correct it unless permanent damage is done. Regardless, I will give it a try. Thanks for the perspective! I could be too close to the problem and operating under a bad assumption.
I would probably start by simply using a coupler to join the coax from the antenna to the coax running to the TV in question. Take the amp (and other TV's) out of the picture temporarily. If that works, then you'll just have to determine the best way to hook everything back up while not overloading the signal to that particular TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would probably start by simply using a coupler to join the coax from the antenna to the coax running to the TV in question. Take the amp (and other TV's) out of the picture temporarily. If that works, then you'll just have to determine the best way to hook everything back up while not overloading the signal to that particular TV.
Thanks. I'll do some tinkering tonight and hope for something conclusive.

·
Registered
18,863 Posts
WS65711's suggestion is a good one. I have 3 tv's feeding off of the rooftop antenna. The RG-6 cable from the antenna goes into the garage and into an old RCA signal booster. From there, there's about 3 inches of RG-6 cable that then feeds into a 3-way coupler. From the coupler, the signal path goes to the 3 tv's using the existing house cable which is the old RG-55? (I forget what they used 30 years ago). Two of the tv's (bedroom and garage) were old analog sets using one of those digital STBs that were offered at the digital transition (both were made by LG I believe). Never had a reception problem even if all three tv's were on pulling different stations. We have since upgraded the bedroom and garage tv's to 32" Samsungs and the reception is just as good. The main tv is still the LG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last night, I cut about 3 dB out of the signal to the new set in two incremental steps, and the stability seemed to improve, particularly with the second step that was done while the set was misbehaving. That cured it immediately. So, early indications are that I may have been over saturating the receiver, and the previous set was less sensitive to this. The test will be time. I've experienced periods of stability before, but if I make it a week or more without any issues, I'll feel comfortable proclaiming victory.

Again, thanks for the fresh perspective, all. I was locked into a paradigm where the set had a problem, not just a tuner more sensitive to over saturation than the previous one. If symptoms reappear, I'll post again.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
VHF channels such as 7, 9, 11, and 13 are more subject to noise and interference. And possibly the electrical components within the TV board are not isolated or grounded very well from the TV tuner. This also creates noise and interference, and the channels will drop out. I had this problem with one Samsung Smart TV, and had to add some attenuators and reduce the amp to resolve the issue. But overall, Samsung TVs have very good tuners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tyler. I'm hoping that the attenuation will be the answer. As I said, time will tell.

In general, I really like the Samsung UN65H7100/7150, and I practically sole it from Costco for $1499. Properly calibrated, the picture is admirable without entering either the 4K or FALD realms. The only exception is some typical edge-lit corner flashing lighting, and a quick adjustment at night manages that nicely. Motion control hasn't been necessary with the 240Hz native panel, so I haven't engaged it as I haven't perceived any blur, yet. Some prefer a matte finish to Samsung's Ultra Clear Panel (similar to Sony's Triluminous Display), but coming off of my plasma, I prefer the glossy look and its better light flow through. The interface and Smart remote with voice recognition are both a joy to use. The apps started out a bit twitchy with my first purchase back in November, but firmware updates seem to be helping, and wifi reception is much better than others report with Sony and Sharp. My wife likes the crescent stand and thin 0.25" bezel (as do I), and I haven't even played with 3D or the BT keyboard, yet. I would hate to see it go, so I'm truly hopeful that this corrects the problem for good. I have a month left to return it, if necessary, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic after last night's apparent success. We'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even though it's an old post and I believe you've found the answer since, I just include the below article to help others. Mine is a Samsung 3D TV (quite expensive at the time) and now facing the same issue with free to air digital TV signal.

Unfortunately digital TV came out only after the warranty expired on this model and now stuck with a faulty device that the manufacturer doesn't want to fix.

The exec summary of the below article; never ever buy a Samsung or an LG TV. :mad:

"Samsung has urged its channel partners to keep its LCD and plasma televisions on retail shelves following reports of faulty TV tuners in several new models.

A limited number of the vendor's M8 and R8 LCD televisions and its Q9 Plasma televisions were found to drop out intermittently while viewing digital free-to-air channels.

Samsung engineers spent last weekend developing a fix for the problem, which had first been identified on May 11. The vendor now claims it has a fix - affected sets require a "minor modification to the digital tuner board [hardware] settings".

Samsung has begun applying these modifications to its warehouse stock, and is sending out service agents to fix display stock in retailer stores as well as in the homes of any consumer that has reported problems.

"Samsung is asking retailers to continue displaying stock, while taking orders from consumers," the vendor said in a statement.

Samsung AV product marketing manager, Michael Apte, said dealers should expect their stock fixed and new stock to be available within the week. He said there had been "so few registrations" from customers complaining of faults that there was no backlog of work to be done.

"I'd like to reiterate that there were very few faulty units reported," Apte said.

The vendor said the fault has only been reported in less than one per cent of sales - specifically for the LA40M81/BDX, LA46M81/BDX, LA32R81/BDX, LA40R81/BDX, PS42Q91/HDX and PS50Q91/HDX models. Samsung dealers with any further questions are asked to contact the vendor on 1300 362 603.

A dedicated option has been added to the company's customer service line to deal with the matter and provide priority to service calls. Samsung isn't the first television vendor to have dramas with its digital tuners.

Competitor, LG, faced a far larger setback in late March when several lines of its televisions were found to be incompatible with specific digital television transmissions, causing them to lock up."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think there are different tuner "versions" in mfr models. Most tuners nowadays from the major mfrs are all very good for OTA reception. I doubt that the panel type has anything to do with the internal ATSC tuner. You might want to go to TVFool.com, put in your address, and get the reception report for your area. Post that information in the Local HDTV forum that is specific for your area and see what the folks there have to say. If there are reception issues for your area they can help you. They can also look at your antenna setup and make recommendations for the type of antenna that would work best etc. It really does sound like a reception issue or an antenna alignment problem but it's free advice and may save you from buying a another tv.
Not the case, I have several TV’s and DVD recorder, which also has a tuner section, Samsung tuner sections simply suck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts