AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any chance Samsung will update firmware on the 2008 models such as the

a950 to support more video codecs and containers such as MKV etc????...

I know they are supposed to release info at CES regarding thier 2009 line up. And from what ive read, DLNA wiselink is going to support a whack more video .codecs

·
Registered
282 Posts
I highly doubt it. Any time you give the customer options to flash their firmware, there is a small chance of user error that can seriously damage the TV, which is why they tell flashing your firmware without their permission will void the warranty. Definitely not something they want risking a potential 1k+ headaches for replacements.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vud911 /forum/post/15443129

which is why they tell flashing your firmware without their permission will void the warranty.

Who told you this or where have you read that flashing the firmware without their permission voids the warranty?

From what i see in the samsung site flashing is supported through their support/download page. There is a pdf with instruction manual for flashing etc.

Flashing procedure on my 850 was done using the USB and it was very simple.

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's nonsense...

Check Samsung CNet forum and you will see

that people from Samsung guide users to flash

firmware all the time.

Mind you till now it didn't help to improve DLNA codec compatibility

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know people do it all the time...but you'll still want to let them know that you're going ahead with the firmware update so if anything goes wrong, there won't be policy reciting and finger pointing, to have a peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.