AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any conclusions on DLP vs other technologies and any idea how the Panasonic DLP compares to Samsung's?

Also, saw the Samsung at the Wiz in CT today for $3600 Is this a good price? Hoped that DLP will lower manufacturing costs hence end price to the consumer.

Thnx in advance

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, both the Samsung HLM507W and HLM437W use Faroudja's DCDi algorithm for the TV's de-interlacing.

At this point in time I don't think the Panasonic DLP uses the algorithm. In the end DCDi helps make any video based image like you get with most broadcast and makes it look much better.

I know there are other things to think about when buying a HDTV but, that's a big win for the Samsung over the Panasonic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 507w now two weeks bought at tweeter manchester at $3400 plus tax. tweeter is hard to better when you consider great delivery/return terms as long as they price match - and this post should be all you need.

507w is tops when source is good, just average for poor source i.e. cablevision - standard advice you will get in forum.

Robert

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The consensus from actual reports is that the Panny is probably better in the Picture Quality dept. I'd be willing to believe this since Panny is on their second DLP try. That's not to say a tweaked Sammy won't be better than a non-tweaked Panny.

The major downside for the Panny is its lack of HDCP on its DVI port. Probably not too important this year or next, but eventually...

If I could get the Panny for the same $$$ and it had HDCP then I would get that over the Sammy.

Ken

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a hard time seeing how the Panasonic can display a better image on standard NTSC because the Samsung uses DCDi.

But, the Panasonic may do better with ATSC.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
You may be right ZAGBY.

But I have a Iscan Pro, a Holo3Dgraph (with DCDi), an upconverting STB, and a Focus Enhancements CS-2 on the way so interlaced inputs aren't really in my future. :D

Ken

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well Ken,

When you say you will not have a interlacing image to worry about, I am guessing you are going to output the Holo3D DCDi image as a progressive image, then use the Holo3D VGA output to the CS-2's VGA input and scale that with the CS-2 then output that to your display.

I say that because the Holo3D can't scale a porgressive image but the CS-2 can. Sounds like a nice set up.

;)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's not as bad as it sounds. (honest)

I've had the H3D for awhile in anticipation of getting my 507. The H3D card itself doesn't scale. it does everything one could imagine, but the scaling is left to the video card - a Radeon DVI model in my case. Stunning results.

Lo and behold a few weeks ago I get a call that I had won a CS-1 from a contest I entered several months back. I asked and was allowed to upgrade to a CS-2 for the diff.

But I've been out of the interlaced video into my display since I had to get an external line doubler to go with my Hitachi HD Direct View a few years back. Very few good internal doublers...

:)

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.