AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a HLN617w and I want to get a HDTV receiver for DirecTv. My problem is how to set it up. I've also got the HD931 DVD player which is "hogging" my DVI input. I was looking at the Hughes HTL-HD and I noticed that it has a RGB output and the TV has a PC input. Could I run the HTL-HD into the PC input and have as good of a picture as with DVI. Or at least close to it or should I just go with component cables instead?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the same TV and I run my HD (DCT-5100) through component and the PQ is BETTER than DVD's through DVI (which are also excellent.) I cannot imagine the PQ being any better running HD through DVI.

·
Registered
135 Posts
While HDTV through the component inputs on the Sammy does look very good, DVI definitely looks better. The PC input might be better than component (maybe, haven't tried it) but will probably not look as good as DVI.

What it will basically come down to are your personal preferences (is PQ on HDTV or DVD more important to you?), your tolerance for inconvenience (swapping cables when switching sources), or your willingness to invest in a DVI switch (currently running a couple hundred dollars). There will also be some receivers coming on the market that offer DVI switching, but of course that's another hardware investment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.