AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HLN5065W and the picture is great except for the black levels. When the picture is dark it is hard to make out anything. I have read a lot of threads about adjusting the black levels but I haven't seen a concise list of the best way to calibrate the settings. Does anyone have a good list of changes?

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
638 Posts
gamma at 4. 0 is best for deep blacks but for is best for shadow detail. this is my opinion, not widely held wisdom.

Y offset to 51-53. boosts brightness for component inputs with source of 480p or better.

higher broghtness and contrast.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jeremy,

There are a couple of great threads with a lot of information on tweaking your set for best performance. mike_pro has also compiled a very helpful excel spreadsheet which you can find in his signature. Another method for calibrating by eye was proposed by R Harkness in the plasma forum under the title "steaming rat" :). If you search for and find that thread you will understand the title...

By the way, most people have found that a gamma setting of 0 or 1 gives the best "shadow detail" (which is what I think you are after, rather than black level). That's where my HLN 567 is set. You will find the gamma control in the service menu. If you find a dark scene and adjust the brightness control (in the user menu), you can experiment to see if there is missing detail. It was amazing how much detail came out of the darkness when I did this (I used the scene in AOTC where Jango is talking with the assassin next to the neon lighting). At some point, you will find that there is no more detail to be seen and you turning your black into grey. I went back to Avia, and my setting was pretty reasonable.

Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Just recieved my HLN5065W, and would like to tweak my set for better PQ but I don't know how to get to the service menu that everyone is talking about.

Could someone point the way to the service menu, and settings?

Thanks everyone.

Jon

·
Registered
714 Posts
Check out Arun Guptas guide on the DLP's (in his signature) and my spreadsheet, Be careful, record ALL your settings before changing ANYTHING!

·
Registered
30 Posts
use the THX Optimizer on the main menu of Star Wars. It has a great pattern to help set up Contrast on DLP sets. I found this pattern to give my clients and I the best possible contrast setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.