AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading about potential issues (especially with Time Warner Cable) arising out of the fact that the Samsung DLP's have two different types of component inputs (one takes only 480i/p, and two only take 480p-1080i).

I just talked to Time Warner Cable in Bergen County, NJ and they said I can hook up the STB to the TV using both the HD component output (to watch HD channels) and S-video output (to watch everything else).

Is there a reason that won't work?

Sarkis

·
Registered
289 Posts
This works fine. The only restriction is the HDTV channels can only be viewed via the comp. inputs 2/3 (480p - 1080i). The Time Warner cable box outputs at 1080i.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
SJEB:

Actually, I have my Time Warner SA 3100 HD STB hooked up to component 2 and digital audio out for HD sources and premium channels; S-VHS and stereo analog audio out for digital channels (you MUST do this because many of the so-called digital channels are, in fact not and without the analog audio connection, you won't hear any sound); and coax directly from the wall for the non-digital channels (below 100).

I experimented with all configurations before settling on this one. It provides the best quality signal for the three "ranges" of channels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Won't the S-Video work for channels below 100? It seems like a pain to switch every time. I hadn't really thought about the audio connectors. What do you run through your receiver and what do you connect directly to your TV?

·
Registered
289 Posts
svideo should be fine for any channel but the HDTV ones.

By setup is standard coax into TV ant. A

Comp. inputs and digital audio into my a/v receiver.

a/v receiver comp. outputs into TV comp. 2

I can get all channels via the comp. 2. I don't know if this is because my a/v receiver is upconverting everything to 1080i, but channels below 100 work fine.

I need to try svideo as an Ant. A replacement. I was pretty please with it until I see the difference comp. cables made.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
SJEB:

Yes, the S-VHS will work for regular cable channels. It is my impression however that the SA 3100 HD does add some noise, so bypassing it gives a slight edge. However, for the hassle of having to switch imputs, the difference may not be worth it for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.