AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you rate the picture quality of dishnetwork - is it comparable to dvd resolution?

Im seriously considering purchasing the 43" Samsung DLP. However 90% of the programming Im going to watch is going to be Dish Network. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
233 Posts
im in the same train as you are bud, hope someones awnsers, just like you, that's what i'll be using the most plus DVD's and Xbox, please someone comment on this subject

·
Registered
233 Posts
hopefully someone can awnser this for us, i dunno if i should spend the money on it, since must of my TV view is done on dish, not getting HD until more channels are available, looking into the 43 DLP and the 42 GWIII. you?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Quote:
is it comparable to dvd resolution?
No, it is pretty poor compared to DVD.

·
Registered
233 Posts
damn it, thanks, well quality wise, do you think is bad enought that you cant enjoy regular tv??? i mean is the picture all jaggy and box up? i dunno if you understand what i mean.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
It all depends, what might look good to me, migth not look good to you. Also how close are you going to be to the TV? I know that when I am at my brother-in-laws house (he has a 55 HD widescreen mits with Dish) some channels look worst than others. Get the set from a place with a good return policy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
The key just isn't the signal, but how the TV converts it . I just purchased a Mits 55413, Mainly for the great way it displays SD content. I have Dishnetwork and feel the picture is very good, but I have good cables and the like. Also for some reason if you are running the SD signal off a box and connect the box to the TV with component cables the picture isn't as good as with S-video. So what you should do is run HD off the Componet or DVI input and SD off the s-video input.

·
Registered
233 Posts
thanks for all the help, wich reciever do you have with dish? i have 301 with a 500 or 5somthing anthena

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's something that makes no sense: I have Dish and digital cable. When I got Dish installed, the PQ was awful on many channels and a clear step down from cable on all the others. Then, after a couple of weeks, it got better and now is at least as good as cable on most, slightly worse on a few and a little better on others. Why, what changed? I have absolutely no idea.

FWIW, I live in Alaska and have a 30" dish feeding a 510 PVR. I can only get satellite 119, I think it is. I'll need a separate, larger dish to get the HD stuff. That's a summer project.

·
Registered
233 Posts
could be wrong position on the dish, then again alaska, i dunno, that's could be a problem too, sorry coudln't be of more help

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a HLN5065 with Dish Network. I also have an XBOX. DVD's and XBOX (with HD Component adapter) look incredible on this display. Oh, and I have an HTPC connected to the Samsung via DVI, this also looks incredible (check out the new wm9 HD releases).

As for Dish Network, it looks ok, tolerable. My wife doesn't complain. The new Dish 921 HDPVR should help matters with the DVI output. I would definitely go ahead and get the HD channels even if you have to get a refurbed 6000 receiver in order to fit this into your budget. The channels are only 10 or 12 bucks a month and will really add to your enjoyment of this TV. It is a shame to spend all of that money and only see good PQ from DVD's and Xbox. I have heard that DirecTV has better SD PQ, but I'm holding out because both are realizing how big the HD market is going to be, and I think quality will improve (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well the only reason i said just DVD and xbox, because i dont think i'll be able to dish out $600 or $400 for an HD reciever, i mean, that's crazy, what if i change to cable later on or Direct tv, you know what i mean, what i got now i got it free, i dont think is smart to pay for equipment your only able to use with a certain company, what do you all think? i dont mind paying extra for the channels, but the new reciever cost is what kills me.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Don't they all provide receivers?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Champion
Massive dish is the only way to get decent SD quality!
Yep, my beautiful BUD looks great on DLP :)

Jim

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
Yep, my beautiful BUD looks great on DLP :)

Jim
Ditto. and right on. Only way to get good bandwidth is a big ugly dish. Mine is a 10ft with 4dtv. Hope it never goes away. People are so fooled by the pizza dish PR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.