Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Im getting a sammy HLN567W and Im building an HTPC to play DVD movies through DVI.

Ive read some horror stories regarding getting DVI working with the Samsung HLx sets through HTPC.

My reason for posting is, I just would like to know which video card to choose for the best shot at getting this right the first time is. Would and ATI with the latest Catalyst drivers be the best option for this set or an Nvidia card with the latest detonators?

This is basically going to be an expensive DVD player Im not going to do much computing on it. I just want the best PQ to view my DVD collection. (I know its cheaper to get a Bravo, but Im an amateur hobbyist and want to do this project).

Also are there any other hardware recommendations I should look for or hardware I should avoid? Compatibilty is key for me

Also, what software would be a good options for optimal DVD PQ playback? I seem to b leaning toward winDVD, but have heard good things about TheaterTek and Zoomplayer.

Thanks all, great forum Ive learned a lot.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Don't worry too much about the horror stories. This is still the easiest mainstream TV I know of to use as a computer monitor. But it's obviously not 100% yet.

I don't think there is any real data that says ATI or NVIDIA is more/less likely to have a problem. I'm biased to say that ATI's are great since I have one, though if you read these forums long enough I think you'll agree it's the more popular choice.

As for the software player, you'll see many threads going into great detail on which people like. Get used to the search funtion and you'll find a ton of into (another tip is to sort threads by veiws/replies instead of data to show you the popular threads.)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been enjoying my Samsung DLP+DV+HTPC to so I don't know what horror stories others experienced. I used Windows XP, Samsung 507W, and a Nvidia FX5600 video card. DVD's look great (I am using TheaterTek). Video games which can handle 1280x720 resolution look great. Everything came up the first time. My only horror story would be do not switch to Nvidia 53.03 drivers. The older drivers work no problem. I upgraded and could only get a black screen. The new drivers are not compatible and I don't know why. They supposedly improved component output support for 720p. However I am not using coponent I am using DVI which the new driver stopped supporting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have experience with both ATI and Nvidia so Im comfortable with either. I think im going to go with the fanless ATI 9600 (non-pro). I just wanted to pose the question to see if anyone felt strongly one way or the other and why.

Im going to look for a good dual link DVI cable for the connection as well.

I see what youre saying about searching for software threads, thats an entirely different can of worms Ill look into it.

Still taking suggestions if anyone else has any :)

Thanks Salmoneus

·
Registered
210 Posts
Zen,

I haven't read the entire thread, but one of the main issues that I remember was related to the firmware version in the TV. I purchased the HLN467W back in September and had no issues with it using a ATI 9600 Pro... The firmware on the 456's will be the latest so I do not think you will have any problems.

Enjoy the Sammy! It is a great set...IMHO. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
For some reason when I hook up my Samsung DLP to my PC with a DVI cable it only displays 800 x 600 resolution. When I go into display it doesnt let me change the resolution any higher.

What can I do to get a better Resolution? Do I need a special Driver?

Thanks!!

Kevin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THX - Yeah I did see some of the posters were suspicious the firmware needed to be updated, and that thread itself is somewhat 'old' Im sure if I get a new set now it would be a later firmware version, especially if I buy from a dealer that moves a lot of sets.

I think some of those guys actually had HLM version sets as well so that may have had a hand in their problems.

Kevinsal - you want to use a program called Powerstrip, it lets you set and force your display to whatever resolution you choose.

thanks guys

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kevin - I cant help further than recommending Powerstrip as this is my first HTPC Im going to build and you are further along than I. I just know a lot of people use Powerstrip successfully.

Im sure someone on these forums can help you with an alternative theres an answer for everything here, probably even for the meaning of life if you did a search for it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My Sapphire Radeon 9600 (fanless) worked right out of the box in 1280x720 with my Sammy 567 without any other tweaks, using the Catalyst 3.6 that came on the CD.

For later version of Catalysts I had to resort to Rage3DTweak, because they only allowed 800x600 as max resolution. With the Rage3DTweak I easily enabled the 1280x720 resolution.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinsal
For some reason when I hook up my Samsung DLP to my PC with a DVI cable it only displays 800 x 600 resolution. When I go into display it doesnt let me change the resolution any higher.

Kevin
What OS are you running? Does windows detect the Samsung as a monitor or are you getting a generic VGA detection?

With Windows XP the OS detected the Samsung Monitor during the boot process. The driver was then picked automatically.

I am not using PowerStrip.

XBox games as 720p are spectacular.

Now if Microsoft would patch the dashboard to support 480p resolution my setup would be perfect for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OmicronOmega
I couldn't get 1:1 mapping unless I used TV-wide and then there was overscan. I heard that if I used power strip in tv-wide, if I play a game I'll get overscan again. Is this true?
bump

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OmicronOmega
I couldn't get 1:1 mapping unless I used TV-wide and then there was overscan. I heard that if I used power strip in tv-wide, if I play a game I'll get overscan again. Is this true?
If using TV wide and 720p resolutions, you will get overscan. There is nothing I know of to correct this since, as I understand it, it is the way the TV itself projects onto the screen. It is also something that is "normal" for TV displays of all types. The way I think of it is to imagine a front projector that is a bit to close so that the image is projected past the edges of the screen.

It seems to be possible to use custom resolutions that use only the "middle" pixels of the display for the desktop and the overscanned pixels are either not used or just black (I'm not sure how this works) but then you are not getting a true 720p resolution. I just live with the overscan since I can still see a usable amount of the taskbar. I just don't use full screen for normal windows (i.e. Internet Explorer) since the minimize/maximize/close buttons will off the screen. Full screen for DVD's and video is fine with overscan and happens even on a regular TV when watching TV, VHS, or DVD from a standalone player.

Unless you are using one of these custom, non-overscanned resolutions in the game itself it will also be overscanned. It isn't a problem for me as the games I play don't have anything important that disappears off the screen but I'm sure there are games that would suffer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.