AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with my source at Samsung today to get an update on where we stand concerning the following features:

1. Discrete Codes: These are not available as of yet and do not exist on any HLN Series products currently shipping. They will be introduced sometime in May on the HLN467 / 567 first. This change will be slipstreamed to the rest of the HLN line after the launch of these two sets.

2. Video Input Labeling: This is not going to happen this year. Maybe next year.

3. 480i -> 1080i Input: This is not going to happen this year. Maybe next year.

4. Upgrades for HLM/HLN without Discrete Codes: Samsung is still working on a plan and could not add any additional information than what has already been reported. They hope to have a plan before the end of April or, beginning of May.

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee

·
Registered
104 Posts
Frank,

Thanks for the update. I have decided to stick to my 507W purchase based on this upgrade - my 30 day return period is almost up. I'm just wondering if Samsung are "officially" committed to providing the discrete code update or is this really unofficial and may fall apart?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Frank T. Lee,

Just to clear up any confusion...

All HLN467 / 567 sets, even the very first ones, will have discrete codes?

Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
All HLN467 / 567 sets, even the very first ones, will have discrete codes?
rmostad,

I was told that the Discrete Codes for On/Off and changing Video Inputs would be included at the launch.

Frank

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
I was told that the Discrete Codes for On/Off and changing Video Inputs would be included at the launch.
Thanks! It makes sense as it looks like the other sets were in production, or at the very least the firmware was finalized, by the time the whole discrete codes stuff was brought up with the folks at Samsung.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Any news / update on when the new internals board will be availale?

Mark

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
[email protected],

See item #4 of my post...

Frank
...here we go again...:D

...and we're only 9 posts long!

Too bad about the 480i -> 1080i restriction. That is a crippler for me. I like using the video switching of my receiver and am hung up on this. Still, I will be considering these sets.

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Frank,

Many thanks, again, for your tireless efforts. You and duffin have been truly amazing.

Instead of starting a new thread every time you get new info, could you maybe post it on one of the two original upgrade threads? Anyone who's interested has probably subscribed to those. Just a thought.

Doug

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Too bad about the 480i -> 1080i restriction. That is a crippler for me. I like using the video switching of my receiver and am hung up on this. Still, I will be considering these sets.
Just to clarify (for a newbie): Why can't you use your reciever without 480i -> 1080i? Just trying to understand the dynamics, as I plan a full tv/home theater purchase myself.

Regards, Allan

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nightfly1
Just to clarify (for a newbie): Why can't you use your reciever without 480i -> 1080i? Just trying to understand the dynamics, as I plan a full tv/home theater purchase myself.

Regards, Allan
Allan,

The Samsung DLP tv's only support 480i/480p input on Component Input 1. Component Input 2 and 3 support 480p to 1080i. Since most people watch a variety of sources, i.e. 480i, 720p, 1080i, there is no ONE component input that you could plug a component video switching receiver into and view ALL formats. Big problem for some people. Not as big a deal for others. Being able to have your audio and video switch to the appropriate inputs is a real nicety and by specifying that only certain video formats can connect to certain input jacks, Samsung effectively removed people's ability to use their component switching.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

·
Registered
714 Posts
So this means you can't (effectively) use a receiver with component video switching ? (At least not if you have any 480i sources like cable on it?)

That's a bit of a pain, as it means you need to run cables from all equipment to the TV. So, what are people connecting to the various component inputs?

·
Registered
518 Posts
"Frank's Lament"

921,600 mirrors aimed my way,

Vibrate thousands of times per second,

Blind me with temporal dithering.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Doug - I nominate you for the "Best Post - Poetry Category" award.

·
Registered
518 Posts
"Oh, gosh... oh, gosh! I don't know what to say. I want to thank, um..., my producer, the director, the stars, um... all the people behind the scenes that helped bring my little script to the big screen. Thank you! Thank you!"

Oops, you only said "nominate". Slow day here, sorry.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tweakophyte,

Thanks for the sarcasm,..I can really live with out it. The post didn't mention anything about the upgrade board. Sorry "We" have to go again.

Get over yourself,

Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.