AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the great help on this forum. With wife's approval in hand (in exchange for purchase of presumably expensive new dining room set), I decided to purchase a Samsung DLP and set up a home theater. I had a few questions about models from perusing reviews and forum.

1. Does anyone know when 2004 HLP series coming out? I would like benefit of new DLP HD3 or HD2+ chip in the set but am fearing that my wife will strike first with the dining set and leave me with insufficient cash to buy the set + necessary component accessories for HT room. If HLP coming to stores in next month or so, I am probably ok as wife needs some time to decide. If not until summer, I may have more of a problem.

2. What is the difference between HLN5065W and 507W? I remember reading conflicting threads on this one before but could not find either thread again with the search feature.

3. Is there any difference between the HLN467W and the 507w/5065W? Salesperson at my local Tweeter said he thought the 467W was better with better out of box performance, discrete codes shelf for center channel etc. The only thing I could see was that the 467W was noticably brighter than the 507 and much brighter than the 567W. Tweeter guy's explanation was that they all used the same bulb and therefore 46 was always brighter. Made sense and confirmed bulb infor from Samsung site. Brightness and color matter as I will probably have very little patience or aptitude with tweaking the settings on the TV. I prefer 50" size wise but would probably go down 4" for better out of box performance and brightness.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check out this thread for info on the HLP line and availability.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=348001

My hunch is that it's very unlikely to get an HLP in your home in the next month or so. Spring/summer is a better bet. Any way you can set aside sufficient funds now and protect them from the dining room set? ;)

The HLN series are pretty much all the same except for screen size and cabinet cosmetics. This is one of the few times that I can say that a salesperson's comments were correct, with respect to the differences between the 46" and 50" sets.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
1. No idea. Good luck with dining room set. ;)

2. Only difference I know of is the bezel color.

3. Cosmetic difference. 467/567 have the center channel shelf on top. The 467/567 have an antenna A output (built in RF splitter); I don't think the other models (non-Tantus) have that. I believe all models should have discrete codes (unless you somehow wind up with an old firmware version on one of the non-Tantus models. Unlikely).

Sooke

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. The link to the very long thread about availability of 2004 HLP series was very helpful (and makes me want to wait for the summer, at least until my wife seems poised to buy) but raised an issue I hadn't really considered that much before. Some of posters indicated that SD content on Samsung DLP was really bad to nearly unwatchable.

I know that SD/NTSC content is not that great on any HDTV because of limitations in the source but thought that pq would at least be acceptable based on my friend's GWIII.

Is the Sony GWIII better than Samsung at displaying SD content? I have directv so I would appreciate anyone's experience with SD directv viewing from anyone with a Samsung DLP.

While I plan on getting HDTV through Directv, I could always switch to the Dish or digital cable if SD is better on the Sammy (HD upgrade on Directv will require new dish and box and cost me several hundred dollars anyway so I could easily switch to someone else if they provided HD and better SD).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
From DirecTV, SD content is good most of the time on Samsung DLP. Occasional channels/programs are crappy. I would recommend staying with DirecTV for SD and HD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.