AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Samsung DLP HL-R5667W is freezing up especially when I watch in DVR mode or another a/v input mode like dvd or vhs. It freezes then goes through a sort of off/on cycle. Once it starts it happens every few minutes. I took it to a service shop and they said it neds a new light engine - $780. The tv is 4 years old and out of warranty. I am wondering if a light engine is the correct diagnosis? There were not problems with picture and/or color...just the freezing up. All thoughts are appreciated. For that price I can get a new tv.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Is it just on the analog inputs or does it also freeze up when you use HDMI or component. That will tell you the answer. If it's just on the analog inputs, you might just need a new board which you could probably do yourself.

If everything freezes, on all inputs, it's probably the dmd board, also repairable by yourself, check this forum for Samsung DMD repair: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1107926

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It freezes in all input modes. I have an HDMI cable hooked up to my satellite receiver/dvr. It freezes when we watch a dvr recorded show or live tv. Plus, it freezes in other input modes - dvd, vhs. How difficult is it to replace a dmd board? Is it costly?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Read the thread I linked you to. Tho the initial posts are from people with dots on the screen, if you go thru other problems caused by dmd failure are discussed, there are posts about instructions, costs, etc. A dmd board for your tv may have a different part number, but the people there can still help on questions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Samsung is phasing out that model of TV (I know, I've had one since March 2006) and now vital parts like the digital board and possibly the light engine may be on national backorder for who knows how long, so make sure if you're getting it fixed that the repair shop actually orders it and has ir before you leave your TV with them. I recently waited 3 weeks for the repair shop to finally tell me they can't ever get the part, after being told they had ordered it twice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I had a feeling that since the tv is 4 years old getting parts might be an issue. I am still not sure what I should do. I don't want to pay $800 for a new light engine. That is for sure! I also don't think that is what's causing the freezing up. I can try another repair shop - plunk down another $50-100 estimate fee or save up some money and purchase a new tv. Uggh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.