AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an old topic, but I looked through the old posts and didn't really find any info about this.

My understanding is that there are difference in the xx7 and xx65 model numbers. That the forujia (sp?) chip is in the xx7 model and not the xx65?

But, what is the difference between the HLM sets and the HLN sets?

Thanks

Les

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smalloy,

I found info in that thread for the specifics to what is in the HLN models. Do you know anywhere that I can find a similar listing for the HLM models, to compare to?

Thanks

Les

·
Registered
856 Posts
The HLM617 and HLN617 are the exact same TV, with only the model designation change to come in with the HLN line.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I thought the HLN series used the faroudja 2300 while the HLM series used some chipset made by panasonic, in addition to some [unknown] steps to reduce rainbow problems, and other problems corrected by software updates.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I some times feel like the forum should be receiving consultant pay for clearing up confusion about Samsung's DLP television sets.

Here is what I understand from reading comments by those who really do understand.

1. HLM617 original version (did not change for the HLN617):

DNIe (Video Enhancement)

Faroudja FLI2300 processing (DeInterlacing to 720p)

2. HLM437 and HLM507 original version built through part of December 2002:

Panasonic 82860 (Video Enhancement)

Faroudja FLI2200 processing (DeInterlacing to 720p)

3 HLM4365 and HLM5065 original version might be different in some ways.

4. All HLM sets get new internal electronics to match the original HLM617. Some build dates as early as December 2002.

5. All HLN sets have the original HLM617 internal electronics.

I hope this helps. I also really hope I haven't passed on any miss-information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no technical expertise as far as working in the service menus. Can someone tell me if they know....can one tell the manufacture date of a Samsung by the serial # and/or can one provide the serial number to Samsung and find out what the internals are on a HLM507W ? If so would I call Tech support ? Thanks very much

·
Registered
56 Posts
The manufacture date is printed on the back of the unit.

There's a way to get some of the information you seek through the service menus, though I cannot off the top of my head provide specifics.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smalloy
The manufacture date is printed on the back of the unit.

There's a way to get some of the information you seek through the service menus, though I cannot off the top of my head provide specifics.
As far as the HLM intenals vs. the HLN internals. Basically, if you enter the SM and you see FLI2300 and DNIe then you FOR CERTAIN have the updated HLN guts. If you don't see those two things, you got the old stuff. Easy enough?

Hope that helps,

Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
If it has DNIe on the remote or in the user menu it has the new internals. I believe there are no cases of DNIe without the new FLI2300 chip.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jeez Jeff your everywhere...and fast too!

Mark

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
Jeez Jeff your everywhere...and fast too!

Mark
:D

See... that's what happens when you get stuck on weekly telephone conference calls that have absolutely no bearing on your current project or work at the time.

"Let's see what poor sucker on AVS I can try to help today, Jeff."

Too bad I can never help MYSELF. :(

And the hit's just keep oooooooooooon coming.

Have a good one,

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.