AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else got a set that shows lines in the picture, comparable to what a loose cable or some type of interference would produce, during startup on the Samsung DLPs? (Mine happens to be a 507W with "N" internals).

It started about 30 days after I received my 3rd replacement set.

I would suspect something in the color wheel, since it goes away, but there aren't any unusual noises or anything else that give any clues that something is going bad.

It doesn't happen everytime, and I think the longest it has happened is 20-30 seconds after startup (this in addition to the normal 30 seconds you wait before you get a picture at all, although that delay seems to have been smaller on earlier versions of the firmware). It happens on different sources, and even different cables. Come to think of it, possibly this could be part of the reason for the large delay before you actually see a picture? Perhaps that is why later versions of firmware have delayed showing the picture longer than earlier versions?

The inconsistency of it has me really worried, one day I'll turn it on and it won't go away.

The adventure continues!:mad: :mad:

If anybody bites, maybe I can post a pic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I saw it on my "old" HLM507, but havn't seen it on teh new one yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I definately have this issue. I messed around with it for quite a while thinking I had a bad cable or connection, but then noticed that it goes away within a minute or two when it happens. Doesn't happen every time though. I thought it was something that has to warm up inside the set. I have thought about calling repair on it.

Is the warranty on these sets in-house for the 1st year, or does it depend on the retailer I got it from?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have 'interference' that looks like lines of some sort that move around when I start up the set. This only occurs on the Component inputs (all of them), and it only occurs for between 3 and 8 minutes after I turn on the set.

It happens every time I turn the set on, unless the set was on very recently. The duration varies with the ambient temperature in the room; usually it lasts between 4mins, 30 secs and 6mins, 30 secs. During the winter (it was colder) it could last up to just under 8 minutes.

I have been tracking this phenomenon, and it hasn't been getting any worse, and since it only affects the Component inputs for the first few minutes, it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry I can't help, but this surprised me (I'm new to all this)

Quote:
this in addition to the normal 30 seconds you wait before you get a picture at all
I wonder why people don't harp on this more than the rainbows (which I have yet to see in a store). Does it really take 30 seconds to see a picture?

I think my PC boots faster than that.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing the interference lines on my 507.

I usually watch either cable through the antenna input, or my STB or DVD player via DVI, so I wouldn't normally notice the lines if they mainly happen on component. I'll have to try it to see.

Quote:
Originally posted by doshin

I wonder why people don't harp on this more than the rainbows (which I have yet to see in a store). Does it really take 30 seconds to see a picture?

I haven't timed my 507, but it seems more like 15 than 30 seconds before I see a picture. Regardless of whether it's 15 or 30 seconds, I've enjoyed this set so much that I could care less about the time it takes to light up.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Similar to Bishamon, I see interference on *component* for what seems like about 1-2 minutes, but not when the Sammy is started, instead when the DVD player is first turned on. I assumed it was interference from the laser or something, until it warms up.

But since I don't ever start the Sammy with component selected since my Sat box is DVI, maybe it's the component related circuitry inside the Sammy that needs a warm-up. In any case, can't be related to color wheel or DMD engine since it doesn't do this on DVI, for me.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doshin

My PC does too, but the DLP projector we use in the office for presentations and such doesn't. Pressing the power button turns it on, the fan kicks in, and about 30-60 seconds later the image fades in. Must be a thing with DLPs....

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
turls:

I think that your setup is haunted :D . Man, you are having BAD luck! I am sorry for you.

I have never had what you describe no matter which input is active when I start up my HLM 507 (original internals) that I got before Xmas. The fact that all three of your sets have had the same problem and (I would wager) most folks don't have this problem leads me to suggest that it may be due to something else in your set up. For example, your STB or your DVD player. Just a thought...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup, my set has the same problem. I thought it was a problem with my cabling, though I have not changed anything yet. The *interference* is indeed very noticeable. I have not timed how long before it disappears. I don't know if Samsung has any explanation to this phenomenon?

·
Registered
856 Posts
turls, I am sorry for you, it may not be the setup that is haunted... :D have you considered moving to another house? I don't have this problem, I got my set on December 2.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, this problem I never had on the 2 previous sets. And like I said it only started on this one within the last few days. I have added a device to my system, but it is going through the VGA inputs. I only have 2 component devices so I'll have to track if it only happens on certain inputs or not. The only 2 inputs I'm not using are Component 3 and Svideo 2.

In any case, it sounds like a lot of people have the issue, but it always goes away. It would be real interesting to find the real cause, but I can definitely live with it if it doesn't get worse.

Funny I don't remember reading about this here before. I though I followed things pretty close.

Maybe humidity or temperature related is the right track to be on . . .?

Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
The fact that all three of your sets have had the same problem and (I would wager) most folks don't have this problem leads me to suggest that it may be due to something else in your set up. For example, your STB or your DVD player. Just a thought...

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only if you are in their service area, I'm not. Also, it would actually be 15 months warranty if you registered on the web site.

It is a Samsung warranty, so who you bought it from shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by dgsmith
Is the warranty on these sets in-house for the 1st year, or does it depend on the retailer I got it from?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, but I am seriously considering beefing up my power filtering, I can't hook the TV to a UPS, but perhaps a Line Conditioner, like a Tripp Lite LS604WM. Anybody in this thread have some filtering like this and still have the issue?

EDIT: I just had to run across a thread questioning whether these units put out a square wave. And I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. As touchy as these things are, maybe a poll is in order--but the terminology would be tricky.

Quote:
Originally posted by pspun
have you considered moving to another house? I don't have this problem, I got my set on December 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.