AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new to the forum. I have come for some advice from those who know more than I. I just acquired a nice Samsung hlr5067w for free from a friend of the family who says it is "broken." Now my question is that the only thing wrong with it is when it is displaying an analog signal from the wall it throws a very poor scrambled picture. But as soon as a digital signal is introduced (including HD content from just the wall jack) and blue ray it throws an excellent picture. Has anybody ever heard of anything like this or have any advice for me? What if I were to hook it up to a digital cable box? Will I have a clear picture? Thanks in advance for any help. Pretty new to the whole TV scene, more of a car guy.

Chris Fitzner

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It sound like there is a problem with the analog tuner or analog iniput processing so if you hook up a digital cable box make sure you only use a DVI or HDMI digital output from the STB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm guessing. Looks like I need to do some more experimenting. In theory based on my symptoms that seems like a possible fix right?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
If you hook up a digital cable box (or satellite) receiver you'll be using the component or HDMI inouts, not the tuner so you'll need to be sure that those inputs work. You should be able to pick up a box from your cable company to try as they typically don't require commitments. But, if you've tried Blu-ray and it works then it appears the HDMI input works just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts