AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- My 4 year old Samsung DLP seems to be having an occasional problem with the picture. Every once in a while the screen will turn to a green tint and then have yellows and reds towards the center almost looking like a heat or thermal scope. I am going to try and take a picture of it to add to the discussion, but I am hoping that by the description someone may recognize it. It seems to happen on my Xbox and Direct TV which are on component cables. By blueray is on the HDMI and I have yet to test that yet.

I am trying to determine if its worth repairing or not.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Attached is the picture as promised. It gets worse then this, but by the time I was able to pick up the camera this is what it looked like.

Please help!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
That looks like your DMD, main system board, is out. Very expensive part. Call Samsung CS and see if maybe your tv is covered under an extended warranty. Some DMD problems are being covered if you can get to the second level, Executive Customer Service, to complain. You don't give a model, but the 46" dlps seem to be the covered models.

If your HDMI works ok, it may be just the analog board. So check the HDMI before calling as you want to be clear about the problem.

Check the link for a long thread about your possible issue.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-problems.html

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.. I will check the HDMI as the two inputs that have been having the issue are component cables.

It doesn't happen all the time, it seems to be hit or miss.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I confirmed this is happening on my HDMI port (BluRay) player also..

Does this change what it could be?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If it's happening on all inputs, then it's the DMD board. Read over the link I provided as there are some free and/or cheap possible fixes. Toward the middle of the thread they talk about a guy who resolders the board and sometimes is able to fix it for very little cost. If all else fails, unless you have an extended warranty, a new tv will cost about the same as a new DMD board if they even have the part anymore. And as I also mentioned, some models are being covered by an extended Sammy warranty. Post your model number.

Check www.samsungparts.com for availability and cost of the board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts