AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been many threads about rainbows, eyestrain and such. Thus I'm hesitant to start another thread about them, but not many have addressed their eyesight!

I just had a 5065 delivered today and watched a couple of hours (including Spirited Away). Wow, what fun. Now for what I 'saw and felt'.

After a 2.5 hour movie in low light (not total darkness) I seem to have a bit of eyestrain. Then again I've been staring at computer screens all day, so that could be a contributing factor. It's not horrible but I don't think I could veg out 8 hours in front of the thing :). The eyestrain issue gets me the most.

Rainbows - I see them on occasion (the classic white spot quickly moving against a dark background) but they're not really distracting. At present, not an issue.

Conditions - 50" set, about 8-9 feet away. I wear eyeglasses and have astigmatism.

I'm curious to know of others who have eyestrain - how far do you sit, do you wear glasses/contacts, do you have astigmatism? This is something that hasn't been directly addressed yet.

Replies welcomed and appreciated :)

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
You also may not be blinking enough. Just like a computer monitor, it's easy to concentrate so much that you forget to blink. When you are more interested in the content of what you are watching it's possible you will feel less eye strain.

A back light helps me enjoy a darker room too. Otherwise, I just keep the lights on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
HeaTransfer,

I also wear glasses and have astigmatism. I don't think that is affecting your viewing experience.

I think that what has been confused in all this talk of eye strain is that it is natural to get this after extended viewing of a projection television, especially if you're not used to it. Also, many people here have said that the fatigue gradually goes away the longer you have the set.

In the "Quick Guide" that came with my 5065, it says "If you watch TV for a long time at a short distance, your eyes can be wearied." The actual distance that this is describing will most likely be different for everyone. Maybe you could try sitting a bit farther back and see what happens.

As for the rainbows (color separation) I see them very frequently and I haven't made up my mind yet if they bother me or not.

Neil

·
Registered
5 Posts
8-9 feet distance from the 50" i think is a little too close...that would be good for a 40", but for 50" i think you need to be a little further away...

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
I have astigmatism and wear contacts. I use to notice rainbows quite often, but rarely notice them because I think I just tune them out now. Before I tried too hard to notice them instead of just enjoying the show.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
HeaTransfer:

I have the 50" DLP, have trifocals and an astigmatism. Our seating is exactly 8 feet from the DLP. For DVDs through a DVI-out-DVD player and, of course for HD, we can get another row of seating IN FRONT of us, so you are not sitting too close although SD material may look pretty sad from the front row :D. I also sit in front of a computer screen most of the day (1280 X 1024 LCD). When I first got my DLP (last Christmas), I found that I had some eye strain (nothing serious) that I attributed to the clarity of the picture on the DLP. I noticed that a few times in the first couple of weeks. Got an Ideal Lume backlight and I have experienced no strain since.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Try glancing away from time to time and briefly focusing on something in the distance. Works great to avoid eyestrain.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
There are two completely separate things that get discussed in terms of DLP sets: one is eye strain and the other is motion sickness. Unfortunately I think that when most people here about the latter they immediately assume it is the former.

Eye strain in general is probably caused by how you are watching the set, time of day, and how much stress you have been putting on your eyes during the day. Watching such a bright set as a DLP in total darkness will tend to stress your eyes a bit. I have also noticed it on other big screens and a small light will certainly help.

Motion sickness is another effect that hits some people with DLP sets, most likely caused by how DLP renders its image. THIS is the phenomenon that will typically go away after 1-2 weeks. I have this problem but have been looking at DLP sets for extended periods over the past couple of weeks. The effect seems to be going away for me, which is a really good sign.

Net net: I wouldn't panic about the eye strain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think a lot of the viewing "problems" come from sitting too close. It's not really any different than sitting too close to a movie screen: motion sickness problems. Same thing with the "rainbows" or sparkling. It's quite variable depending on the station. Sometimes impossible to see even if looked for, other times very evident. Sit further back and they're gone. I certainly see MORE artifacts on my Proscan 27" CRT TV than I do on the Sammy.

Interesting...after having a 5065 for a couple of weeks it's rather amazing how different the quality is on HD depending on which ch. is doing the broadcasting. For some reason, some HD programs seem to look better via the 'antenna out' from my cable box, others clearly better via 'component out'. HBOHD has a better pic than ShowHD (don't know why, just is...may be a provider issue). The Discovery Ch. is ASTOUNDING! Other ch. with the occasional HD program are sometimes good, sometimes not.

An extra couple of feet back can make a world of difference.

Ben

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I did find that contast OTB was waaay too high (this set puts out a lot of light!). Unfortunately I won't be able to watch MNF this week, so glorious 720P NFL akshun will have to wait a week hence :( Good thing is, the next week's game is a good matchup on paper!

One thing I meant to mention during the original post - I get headaches trying to play DOOM but don't for true 3d games (Quake etc) -- not that I enjoy playing those games, but was wondering if there was some correlation.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I get headaches on old Doom as well, or when watching a 3D game over someones shoulder.

Incidentally, my viewing trip to Tweeter today produced NO dizzy-head whatsoever after viewing the Sammy DLP for an extended period. I took down my DirecTiVo and went through a lot of our typical programming. Very nice IMO.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There has always been a lot of discussion about eye fatigue/headaches/rainbows on this board. I have participated in some of this discussion because I was significantly affected by the eye fatigue problem to the point I simply returned the Samsung TV. The bottom line is that the problems with eye fatigue, headaches, nausea, rainbows, etc. are all tremendously variable from individual to individual. It appears many people adjust to the new display and the problems resolve. For some, like myself, the eye fatigue was intolerable and I could not adjust to this display technology. You will not be able to accurately determine whether the eye fatigue issue will be significant for you by watching the TV in the store for a short period of time. It really requires an in home trial for a few weeks. As has been reported, eye fatigue early on does resolve for many people. I simply recommend that if you like the DLP display in the store, try it at home for a few weeks for a meaningful trial, then you will know if this eye fatigue issue is a problem for you. Just make sure you have a 30 day return capability.

Rich

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ein
Adjust the contrast and brightness or put some low light behind the set.
Also, did you switch out of the the default "Dynamic" mode?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.