Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a Subject line!

DVI is the way to go for the Samsung DLPs - I know. The SD broadcast of the Superbowl was terrible on my HLN617W from the Hughes DirtecTivo through a Denon AVR-3300, all by s-video. Of course. I understand.

The question is whether I can expect the SD, --not HD,-- broadcast next year to look better when the HDTV DirecTivo unit will be hooked up by DVI?

Will the DVI connection make a substantial improvement in the SD PQ?

I would guess the answer is 'Yes' since a DVD picture improves when you go to DVI.

:confused:

Ike

·
Registered
506 Posts
You could try removing the Denon receiver from the video path (connect DTivo directly to Sammy). This may improve the PQ.

I have a Sony HD200 HDTV via DVI and a DTivo via Svideo (to a CS-2 video processor) with DVI to the Sammy. Satellite SD quality is pretty good on both the HD200 DVI/DVI connection and DTivo Svideo/DVI connection. The difference in your PQ may be due to the receiver being in the signal path or the F.E. CS-2 is really improving the picture. I haven't ever evaluation the DTivo picture without the processor.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Jeff:

What is the price on the Center Stage? Have you tried the Iscan or any other scalers? TIA,

John

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Rating SD Picture quality from many sources:

Using HD through DVI as a reference = 100

DVD player through DVI = 70

DirecTV SD program on HD Channel through DVI = 70

DirecTV SD through DVI = 40

DirecTV SD through Component = 30

DirecTV SD through S-Video = 20

DirecTV SD through S-Video + PVR = 15

These are subjective of course, meant to indicate the level of difference between different sources.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see how to get DirecTV SD through DVI, since my Hughes SD DTivo has no DVI output.

So my realistic choices are:

1. I can go SD DTivo ---> TV via Component, without the AVR at all, but at the cost of some coordination convenience, using the AVR just for sound, or

2. I can go SD DTivo -->AVR Component --> TV with loss of quality but retaining convenient switching.

Maybe I should experiment further with the TV Component in-out on the receiver... Seemed flaky first time.

Conclusion: Component is the best I can do, and it will be better without the AVR in the middle, but less convenient. Right?

SLightly OT --: Does Component require special cables? Or will any three line RCA composite cables do as long as they are of decent quality?

[ Where IS that HDTV Tivo ??!!?? Grrrr.....! ]

Thanks all....

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Oh I should've added, if you have any switching like an A/V receiver in an analog video path, subtract another few points from the video quality. Analog A/V receiver switching is a no no for any high performance large screen TV.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
Oh I should've added, if you have any switching like an A/V receiver in an analog video path, subtract another few points from the video quality. Analog A/V receiver switching is a no no for any high performance large screen TV.
Arun,

What about the quality of a DVD connecte thru the STB (T165) and then to the Sammy thru DVI?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The advantage of digital over analog is that digital passes the original in pristine condition, analog degrades with each connection.

So generally speaking digital switching is fine, analog switching is a problem.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
What a Subject line!

DVI is the way to go for the Samsung DLPs - I know. The SD broadcast of the Superbowl was terrible on my HLN617W from the Hughes DirtecTivo through a Denon AVR-3300, all by s-video. Of course. I understand.

The question is whether I can expect the SD, --not HD,-- broadcast next year to look better when the HDTV DirecTivo unit will be hooked up by DVI?

Will the DVI connection make a substantial improvement in the SD PQ?

I would guess the answer is 'Yes' since a DVD picture improves when you go to DVI.

Ike
I guess my only question is why don't you want to watch the game in HD vs SD? I understand the need for Tivo, but not at the expense of HD...OTA antenna?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By next year I expect to have an HDTV-Tivo, and assuming I can get the SB on the HD side without any special sports subscriptions, I'll see it in HDTV--DVI perfection.

If the SB is transmitted in SD, though, I would see it via the SD side of the HD-Tivo and the DVI connection.

As for Tivo - hey, if I didn't have Tivo on my other (CRT) TV, I wouldn't be able to verify the extent of the terrible wardrobe malfunction during half-time. It was just a blur on the DTivo-->S_Video --> AVR--> Samsung. other but quite clear on the SA Tivo.

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do any (affordable ones) exist? Say, $1,000 or less?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I watched the superbowl in BOTH comcast HD and through my SD Tivo. Both looked good. Of course the HD was awesome but the SD was good. Personally I think that direct SD is appreciably worse than many cable SD broadcasts for compression reasons.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
There are standalone 4-1 Gefen DVI switches for HDTV at about $400. Only one Sony AV receiver with 2 in, 1 out at $4500.

It would be a crying shame not to watch the game in HD.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anyone think the new Samsung HLPs will look any better in SD? I looked at the HLN467W and decided to pass because of the SD PQ. Now I wonder if the new HLP4674W will be a winner for me?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I found that doubling the distance you view SD material Over Sd makes a difference or 4 to 6 times the diagonal of the Screen. What do you think Arun? Does that make sense to you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.