AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
someone here or in the HTspot forums called samsung and they were told end of june/early july althought obviously customer service types have a tendency to be off on these things. The original quoted prices (from samsung press release at CES) for these units are $4500 for the 50" and $4000 for the 43" unit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
hmmm...very interesting....... there are 2 50" models: one WITH 3:2 pulldown and enhanced sound processing (probably useless), the other without. The model without these features is 8 pounds heavier, 2 inches wider and a hair thinker.

Now, that is a case of needless product differentiation across the line. Wonder what the pricing difference will be.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Actually there are FOUR models with 50" (HLM507W) & 43" (HLS437W) at the high end (3:2 pull down, BBS Sound, PIP) and HLM5065W & HLM4365W without those features. No doubt the "anticipated" prices will be for the lower end models.

What has me a little confused is the lack of specified RF inputs (although one RF output is listed). These would have to include NTSC tuners wouldn't they ? :confused:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Read the brochure. :)

They have dual NTSC tuners.

I'm really curious about these other models. If you're going to use an external deinterlacer and/or scaler then 3:2 pulldown is superfluous, and who here needs BBE audio? (Although I admit I enjoy the BBE on my 36" Zenith)

You never know these "lower end" models might not have a contrast ratio spec. raising, view angle lowering screen on them. Who knows?

And about 8 lbs heavier. What's that about?

Unless Samsung dumbs it up, I'll be getting one of the 50" models. I will use an Iscan Pro deinterlacer until more DVI sources become available later this year. (unless of course the built-in line doubler is superior to my Iscan which I doubt)

Ken

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ken, I hope your interpretation is correct because I am pretty jazzed about the HLM507W and can't wait to audition one. I DID read the brochure which is what left me wondering. Pretty neat trick to tune OTA without any antenna (RF) inputs ! Maybe they use the power cord. :D

I was (and remain) a little concerned that Samsung's emphasis on this being an "HDTV *Monitor* Television" might indicate an absence of any OTA tuner with the PIP indicating an ability to view any two video inputs simultaneously.

After RCA "engineered" the F38310 (and apparently the LCoS models should they ever see the light of day) without any outputs for the built-in DSS I have become very skeptical when reviewing new product specs.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I seriously doubt the iScan is going to be anywhere near as good as the interlacer deinterlacer, actually. First of all, the iScan's output will still need to be scaled by the set. Second of all, deinterlacing continues to advance. Whatever they built into the Panasonic plasma, for example, is well ahead of anything the iScan can do.

Mark

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Mark,

TPV just did a review of the Iscan Pro vs. the Faroudja NRS and the QuadScan Elite. The Iscan came out very well.

I've enjoyed mine tremendously for over a year and have found it to add a pleasingly solid 3D image to my interlaced DVD changer. Quite nice!

Better is always better though so I'll be glad to sell the Iscan or actually I guess I'll want to keep it with the TV its on now.

Anyone with inside info on the Samsung? Bulb life? Line doubler chip?

Ken

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Ken, the iScan doesn't scale is my point. The others do. On video-based sources, nothing touches the Faroudja. On film at 480p, I'm sure the iScan is a fine match for almost anything. But once you also have to scale, it's a different ball of wax. I suspect you will find the Samsung's internals to be better than your iScan, net-net.

I'm not sure what bulb life will be, but expect a lot of hours. The rare knowledgeable person at CES agreed that consumers wouldn't tolerable frequent bulb replacement and that they'd go with the highest possible life to mitigate this. I think 4,000+ real hours is very, very likely.

Mark

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The Samsung will scale 480P so it is not necessary for the Iscan to do it. (in fact they have dedicated 480P inputs)

My point was that if the HLM5065 was significantly cheaper or had some other desirable trait an external doubler could be used to get the 3:2 pulldown.

Scaling is easy in comparison to deinterlacing. Detecting cadence and bad edits etc. is hard to do well but it must be done as the very first step in any scaling system. So not having 3:2 pulldown will be a significant handicap for the 506 vs. 507.

I know this too well as my otherwise excellent Hitachi HD DirectView has this same handicap. The $500 Iscan fixed it right up!

I was wondering if the 436 and 506 weren't using leftover parts from the failed fLCD's? I remember them having the extra border on the sides. Anyone still have one of the fLCD brochures?

Ken

·
Registered
157 Posts
ken, If you go to the samsung RPTV page and download the "full line 2001-2002" pdf the flcds are still in it. The chassis looks the exact same although the height dimension is off by an inch or so.

Apparently no one proofs these marketing brochures anymore. the 5065 unit boasts the ability to handle 770p and 780p inputs. I would gather that there are RF inputs to the unit, it just didn't make it into the brochure.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I believe that you are on to something Ken. I have a .pdf brochure for Samsung's 2001-2002 Digital Television line and the picture of the fLCD looks very much like the HLM5065W/HLM4365W. The only notable exception is the bezel color. The fLCD is all black while the DLP sets are shown with silver top and side bezels. The speaker enclosure below the screen looks identical.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I called the customer service/product information line today and they have no idea about release dates, technical specs (other than what's in the brochure), etc. The only thing they can tell is the MSRP of $4499.99 for the HLM507W. When asked who may know the release dates, etc. he said there was no one I could contact to find out that information, and that he usually knows when a product is released by having someone call him saying they just bought one.

Also, I compared them not knowing to the fLCD fiasco, and he agreed, saying, "Yeah, it's the same situation with many new products, we don't know when they come out before the public does..."

What kind of customer service is that??

Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything more substantial...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Grrrr....

I'm not very happy about that price differential. Wasn't this unit supposed to sell for $4500?

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's probably the HLM5065 that will retail for $4500. It's basically the same set, minus 3:2 pulldown and a couple of other features. It's frustrating, because the only one I care about is the 3:2 pulldown. Guess I'll have to fork over the extra grand or get an external scaler.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Yeah, that price is a bit of a disappointment. Especially knowing that manufacturing costs are greatly reduced with this design and that once competition heats up the prices will tumble.

The PQ and feature execution are going to have to be extremely nice to justify the price. Although with the fLCD's they were fairly well discounted on the pre-orders. (that is before the orders were canceled)

I imagine Samsung is wanting to make some of that lost fLCD money back.

Ken

·
Registered
545 Posts
If there is that big of a price difference between the 3:2 pull-down model and the one without.... I should probably learn what it does.

So who wants to tell me (preferrably in detail) what 3:2 pull-down is and why I'd want it?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Good to see the pricing on the desirable models was conveniently ignored by Samsung at CES, etc. Those guys are jokers, as evidences by the vaporous fLCD and the babble they provided me about their 40" TFT panel ($7000? $12000? Out this month? Out this year? Better than plasma? Whatever!).

Mark

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.