AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i've been lurking around the HTPC and I'm starting to like the idea of recording my own shows, surfing the web, Playing DVD's, etc. From what i've seen, most people are using their DVI connections from their video cards to their TV.

My Samsung DLP DVI is already being used by my Samsung TS160 HD tuner. I'm planning on using a Radeon 9000 (no fan)

What hookup options should I use for the best picture quality?

a) Hookup the TS160 via component/HTPC via DVI

b) Hookup the TS160 via DVI/HTPC via S-Video

b) Hookup the TS160 via DVI/HTPC via RGB 15-pin

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You can get a DVI switchbox here:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hd-DVI-2x1.htm

It's pricey at $250 though. Otherwise you'll not be getting the best picture quality. However, if you don't want to spend the money then ask yourself this question:

Which do you watch more critically/often, hdtv or htpc? Whichever you feel you watch more often, I would connect with the dvi. The other device is then connected via component or RGB.

Russ

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have almost the same setup as you, except I have the Radeon 8500. I'm using the HTPC into the PC port currently, until a cheaper DVI switchbox with IR support is released. I have the TS-160 in the DVI port.

The PQ on the RGB is pretty good. My desktop looks razor sharp with no overscan. I'm satisfied. Is it better on DVI, probably. But for now it works. You do need a HQ RGB cable though, otherwise you will get the dreaded sparklies.

I have not tried the STB via RGB. My primary viewing habits are to watch mostly the STB, so I think I'll keep it on the DVI, but to each their own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.