AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

im interested in the Samsung DLP display (model HLM437W to be precise). I've yet to see one up close, and the only thing that I have had to compare it to was a panasonic LCD.

I was wondering how good the viewing angle is on the Samsung? Is it comparable to plasma displays, or it it more like traditional RP large screen TVs. Fortunately the location of the set doesn't require an ultra-wide viewing angle, but I still don't like the through that the picture might get darker the farther out you sit.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
634 Posts
After having viewed Samsung DLPs a few times, I would say the viewing angle is between a traditional CRT RPTV and a Plasma.

I've seen the viewing angle for Samsung DlPs listed as 160 degrees, and I've seen plasmas listed as the same. It may depend on how the displays are set-up in the store.

Personally I like the DLP sets.

· Registered
2,118 Posts
4apex:

James is correct when it comes to the HORIZONTAL viewing angle. It is quite wide side to side. However, the vertical viewing angle is not as wide. The angle just above (or below) the monitor results in significant loss of brightness.

· Registered
634 Posts
MNILAN is correct! The vertical viewing angle is, indeed, another story. A DLP may be a little better than an older RPTV using CRTs, but it is still best viewed straight on. Plasmas clearly win when it comes to vertical viewing limits.

· Registered
463 Posts
Most of my viewing is done while exercising. For me this involves standing, rolling around on the floor, sitting, lying down on a weight bench, and hanging from exercise equipment, so vertical is somewhat important to me and my wife, who also exercises while watching the screen (about 90% of our watching hours).

BTW, I think the DLP viewing angles are very good- much better than any CRT RPTV I've seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.