AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a 55"+ TV but don't want to pay for plasma. It seems that my choices for the best quality TV is either the Samsung DLP or the Philips Cineos LCOS. I don't know if there are others in production that are in the same league but I'm not aware of them (the Toshiba LCOS seems dead).

I finally was able to see the Samsung and Cineos side by side and to my surprise the Samsung looked alot sharper. I thought that LCOS is technically superior but the Cineos looked pixely by comparison (same channel, same feed of course). I'm a bit worried about Samsung quality too.

What do people think? I'd enjoy hearing all opinions....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am a very pleased Cineos owner and consider myself fairly demanding of picture quality. I sat and stared many hours in stores and read all I could on the internet for over a year. When I finally got my TV it took some time to adjust it to my liking for shadow detail, which was a big demand of mine. Screendoor ruled out LCD for me, and DLP just didn't seem sharp enough. For sure, no existing technology is perfect. CRT still produces the overall best quality, in my opinion. But my 55" tv is 17" deep, weighs about ninety pounds, and has a neat swivel base. Apparently most stores don't have the Cineos properly adjusted. It is interesting to note that lots of this forum users now own this tv and yet we don't see threads about tweaks, bulbs, software issues, and so on. In my opinion that is because we are sitting at home enjoying our huge new toy and happily playing with it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Having just gotten back from CES I must say that DLP is the wave of the future. Texas Instru. had a 1080P made by Samsung and it was the best in show for PQ by everyone I talked to. LcOS was headed in that direction but too many problems cropped up and Toshiba has dropped the idea totally as announced at the show. Pioneer will mfg. and sell in the USA only Plasma. I'm only commenting because I was very impressed by all the DLP sets I saw. Keep in mind that at present you are limited to 720p with DLP although everyone who owns one seems to really like them.

Good luck.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
The two Cineos dealers in our area that I can talk to both feel it still has problems. The manager of one store said that they had Philips reps in for three field upgrades of the firmware and one repair on their demo.

When I have seen the Cineos side by side with either Samsung DLP or Sony LCD I thought both of them were better.

I have no idea how they would compare after ISF calibration or owner tweaks.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HughScot
Keep in mind that at present you are limited to 720p with DLP although everyone who owns one seems to really like them.
True, but even at the lowly 720P format HD and DVD look so good on this set that it would be hard to imagine it looking any better, but technology marches on :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.