Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all DLP owners,

I would like to hear from anyone who has purchased a sammy and had to exchange it for another unit? How many times? and what the issues were each time that caused the exchange?

I am on my third DLP...

1) 507hlm the retail store I purchased from in SE MI switched my new set with a floor model set before pickup.. I found out through sm when it said bulb life was 178 OTB. Called had new one delivered.

2) 507hlm had IR problem called samsung and they switched out for 567w.

3) Had 567w three weeks and I am somewhat upset on PQ so far..

BiG JJL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine is to be replaced in the near future, as soon as some more are available. The color wheel on mine (the HLN617W), does not come on

always, and the lamp failed at less than 600 hours. Image became dim,

and therefore unwatchable. Should the next one fail, then that one

will also be doing a "return trip." However, I must say that when all

is going along OK, the set is fantastic, and i do not want back, any of

my Hitachi, Sony, or Pioneer models, I have owned over the years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sent back...mostly because of the problems discussed on here - although I never really experienced anything other than a green tint. Just want to wait for the HD2+ models.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigJJL
2) 507hlm had IR problem called samsung and they switched out for 567w.

3) Had 567w three weeks and I am somewhat upset on PQ so far..

BiG JJL
Did Samsung charge extra for the HLN567? :D

In what way are you upset with the PQ?

Have you looked into the tweak threads or an ISF calibration. What kinds of sources are you watching and how are they connected?

A lot of things can be improved but not everything. I sent my HLM507 back to wait for the HLN567, but now I'm waiting to see the Philips LCoS next to the HLN567.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Returned mine for a panasonic PT50LC13. Could not live with the motion dithering and the color banding. Too bad because I really wanted to like this set. Maybe in next generations where they fixed these issues...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm sending mine back due to rainbows. I'm extremely envious of all of you out there who don't see them - you've got the best looking TV picture available. I'll have to settle for an LCD RPTV until 3-chipper DLP's are available (and for a decent price).

...Mike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive had mine since March and LOVE it!!! they just upgraded the electronics for discrete IR codes and the picture is even better now for regular SD signals

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
htwaits,

I did not have to pay extra for the 567w. Even exchange.

I have looked at numerous tweaks for the DLP's but it seems no one really has it right when it comes to the 302 board.

I live in SE MI and do not know of anyone who can tweak my set.

BiG JJL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Currently on my third set:

1) The first was delivered broken, I suspect it was dropped (rattled like glass was laying inside, and the picture was a dim "triangle" about 10 inches wide at the top.

2) Second set failed with three blinking lights. Oddly, I fussed with it for a day, called UE and they scheduled a replacement. When the replacement came I showed them the problem, and of course the TV now worked! Swapped it nonetheless.

3) The third set's running great. Crossing my fingers...

Brats

·
Registered
296 Posts
I tried 2 and gave up. First was dim. 2nd had excessive fan noise and stuck mirror in a very noticeable location. LCD picture is to soft for me. I am going to go with a Mits 55413. Known technology. Hopefully I will be happy, but it seems like I never am.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
kmp14:

Your point is good in that every set (and every piece of HT gear) is a compromise in some way. I'm happy with my Sammy 46" DLP now that I've stopped watching it so critically and just started enjoying the set!!! It's the right TV for me now - who knows what the future holds...

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
I did not have to pay extra for the 567w. Even exchange.

BiG JJL
Good exchange. :D

You might get some help here or in the tweak theads if you give some details.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I can help you get started.

It's important to know what components you have connected and how you connected them. For instance: "Sony progressive scan DVD player connected to component 1 with progressive scan turned off. The DVD player has already been switched from 4*3 output to 16*9 output."

If you have described your PQ problems I must have missed them. Details are important.

Here are two links to tweaking related to your firmware version 302. The people doing these tweaks, even it they are using version 214 can give you good advice.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...23#post2598523
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=297121

If you are interested in ISF calibration you can start a thread asking for a referral to someone in your area. There is also an ISF web site with a list of certified calibrators.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, three must be the lucky number..

I'm also on my third set. HLN467, purchased at local Tweeter.

1st set refused at delivery, wanted 214 firmware, got 211.

2nd set, 211 firmware again, kept it hoping for upgrade to 302. While waiting for upgrade, developed stuck mirror after about two weeks. Back it went.

Currently on third set for 2 weeks and loving it! Luckily, got 302 firmware on current set, better SD picture than 211 OOTB, stunning HD. Only have done basic user menu tweaking so far. Have the matching stand, very nice setup.

Overall very happy. A good source sure makes all the difference on this set.

I also have to give props to Tweeter for handling all of this without one complaint or problem.

Have Comcast cable, they just turned on two new HD channels last week (INHD1+2), slowly the HD content is starting to ramp up...keep it coming!

I also picked up a Pronto and have automated all those bothersome input switching tasks, etc., and I'm in AV heaven!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
htwaits,

here is what I am running. Bravo D1 player over DVI. SD cable over s-video 1. PQ problems are sound delay on some stations when people such as news anchors are talking, mosquito effect on SD and sometimes DVI, picture in itself seems to be off from both outputs and very different from my tweaked 507 which was stunning. IR was a big issue for my old 507 not seen at all on 567w.

Below are OOTB defaults for DVI. I really want this to work for my 567w so, any help is greatly appreciated.

Big JJL

Input DVI

Comments HLN567W (BigJJL)

Equip connected T-B3K6101-302

JUL 12 2003 08:28:07

DDP1010 302 Default

POS-Y 15

POS-X 151

LAMP TOS/PHIL

DELAY 222

V-FLIP NORMAL

H-FLIP NORMAL

Gamma 4

SLR OFF

DNIe 302 Default

R-GAIN 117

G-GAIN 120

B-GAIN 117

R-OFFSET 128

G-OFFSET 128

B-OFFSET 132

SYNC_MODE n/a

RAST_H n/a

PROC_SET n/a

PATT_SEL O

KNOB_RED n/a

KNOB_BLUE n/a

C_SEL n/a

S_BR(DDP) 250

S_CT(DDP) 110

SCA_MAX_Y 48

SCA_MIN_Y 16

Y_TH_HPF O

Y_TH_EDGE 4

NR_SEL 2

CE_UPPER 220

CE_CUTOFF 160

ALPHAL 64

D_ALPAHL 75

TH_CORING 5

DET_GAIN 8

R_INT 64

R_H_CONT 16

R_V_CONT 16

B_RATIO 200

W_RATIO 200

W_CCT_FAC 300

SCALE_ALP 120

R_LIMIT 127

NOISE_TH2 6

3D_COMB 302 Default

DYCOR 1

DYGAIN 10

DCCOR 2

DCGAIN 10

CORING OFF

OPTION 302 Default

AUTO POWER OFF

EER_RESET

WB CONTROL ON

COLOR ON

DVCO

WBDEFSET OFF

USER RESET

LAMP LIFE 44 HOUR

LAMP CLEAR

MUTE_TIME 700MSEC

DNIe DEMO ON

FAN_NUM 3

V_SLICE 50

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
htwaits,

here is what I am running. Bravo D1 player over DVI. SD cable over s-video 1. PQ problems are sound delay on some stations when people such as news anchors are talking, mosquito effect on SD and sometimes DVI, picture in itself seems to be off from both outputs and very different from my tweaked 507 which was stunning.

Big JJL
I can tell you what I've read about DVI. There is a mosquito effect associated with DVI cables that are too long, or defective in some way. I assume that you used the same DVI cable with your HLN507. Have you read the thread started by Arun Gupta about DVI? There is also a giant Bravo D1 vs Samsung 931 shootout thread. In both threads you can get help from people with DVI experience.

I personally have experienced bad sync and my TV is a 27" Sony CRT. There some threads on this subject to. Sync problems come form so many sources that it's very hard to determine what's to blame. For instance, it's known that news broadcasts that switch to different feeds may go in and out of sync.

The first thing I would do is go to the "spread sheet" tweak thread I gave you and describe your DVI problems and how they appeared when you went from the HLN507 to the HLN567. There are some very smart and experienced people there. I'll hang out too and see if I can learn something.

One thing you might double check. Has the D1 been configured for a 16*9 display? Are you outputting 720p? I don't know how to do that on a D1 but I'm sure the people in the "D1 vs 931" can be helpful.

Here is Arun Gupta's main thread. His signature has a link to the DVI thread. He is in the middle of a five week trip so he hasn't been in the forum as much as he normally is.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=256065

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.