AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is rather interesting.. According to this pdf document (yes it refers to the HLM models, but just ignore that),

for wide viewing angle support an optional service setup is required. http://www.samsungusa.com/pdf/dlp.pdf

It is on the 6th page at the bottom, labeled Wide Viewing Angle. Is this saying that out of the box, the screen

will act like a normal rear projection tv, but if you do not want it to fade when you move around (like a crt or plasma),

additional setup is required (look at the asterisks)? what???

·
Registered
856 Posts
The astrik indicates, "or upside-down". I noticed when looking at the 5065 model, side to side viewing was great, but up and down had a very short viewing angle. So I think the document is saying the optional setup is required to get the up and down view correct, probably by tilt mounting the TV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I would agree with you on that one. There is a HLM507 at my local tweeter and the up/down

range was very limited. I was not impressed by the 507 in their store at all. They were playing a

harrison ford movie and also some hdnet soccer. The sony 50" gw looked more impressive. Im guessing

the samsung wasn't tweaked at all. They have the HLN465W for $3699, I wonder if I could talk

them down to about $3199 (tv authorities price). They have a 5 year warranty for $349 which is pretty good (covers bulbs).

·
Registered
856 Posts
What do you mean by the warrany covers the bulb? A bulb will not last forever and don't see how any warranty can cover the bulb for the life of the warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well at the time of the post I was thinking they would replaced the bulb when it goes out within the 5 years. But, I just remembered the sales guy saying that if it went out around 1500-2000 hours of use, then it may be replaceable, but if it was around 4000 or more, then it would not be covered.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vulpechula
They have the HLN465W for $3699, I wonder if I could talk

them down to about $3199 (tv authorities price). They have a 5 year warranty for $349 which is pretty good (covers bulbs).
Are you referring to the HLN4365W? If so, my Tweeter (Fairfax, VA) quoted me a price of $3,499 today, and one of the salesman said over the phone they would go 5% lower this weekend (customer appreciation weekend, I think), but he might have been mistaken, because another salesman in the store claimed ignorance when I asked about it. They didn't have any HLN507Ws or HLN5065Ws; the HLM507W was $3,899 this weekend.

The HLM507W on display looked terrible at Tweeter, but the HLN5065W at BB looked great (I did some *very minor* tweaking at the user menu level). I would have bought it today at BB, but I don't want to pay list, and they weren't willing to move at all on price.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'm no optics genius, so please explain how tilting the TV would increase the vertical viewing angle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Tilting the TV so the vertical viewing angle is basically viewable. If for instance, the TV is sitting up high (as on a shelf or in a cabinet), tilting it would allow for a decent angle to view.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If your Up/down viewing angle is a fixed range and you tilt the tv down to improve the viewing angle of children on the floor, then isn't the available sweet viewing spot for those sitting on a couch diminished.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I too noticed the narrow vertical viewing angle at the store where I saw the HLN5065W, so I expected to have to tilt it in my particular setup. I just received my HLN507W, and I did indeed have to tilt it up slightly. (The TV's on the floor, and I sit on a couch.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, For those pricing DLP's, I purchased a Tantus model HLM507w w/ DNie, DCDi 2300 for $3188.73 4/23/03 In stock, ABC Warehouse Ann Arbor, MI.

Hope this helps your price shopping!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The vertical viewing angle could be better, on the sammy, yes. One nice thing is that the screen is always has even brightness no matter where you stand - compare this to conventional projection TV's, where you can follow a brightness band when you move up and down.

On the cover of this month's Home Theatre (i think) they have a picture of the new DLP from [?? it's the funky trapezoid-shaped one] at an extreme vertical angle - impressively wide viewable angle.

So... what causes the difference? Is it the way the screen is etched to refract light? Why is the panny (and the new one i mentioned) so much better?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
goldbean, yea my mistake i was referring to the HLN4365W. It would be nice to purchase a sammy dlp locally, but you can save alot by going with TVA. That savings can be put into a HTPC for example.

ACr, even though that is the HLM model, that is still a very good price!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Folks:

Just a note for those considering tilting their DLP - Early discussion of this issue suggested that tilting could result in some sag in the screen over time since it wasn't designed to be tilted. All in all, I would recommend adjusting the height of the DLP and/or the seating area (e.g., having a raised platform for the kids) rather than tilting the monitor.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
Folks:

Just a note for those considering tilting their DLP - Early discussion of this issue suggested that tilting could result in some sag in the screen over time since it wasn't designed to be tilted. All in all, I would recommend adjusting the height of the DLP and/or the seating area (e.g., having a raised platform for the kids) rather than tilting the monitor.
I agree with you but Samsung gives a safe tilt range that is something much greater than the 10-15 degrees that others think would be ok. I can't remember who or how qualified they were. I would probably risk a slight tilt up to 15 degrees.

An extreme "tilter" was a guy in our area who requested service for his HLM617 because it stopped working.

When the service guy showed up he was taken to the owner guy's bedroom.

"Where's the TV" asked the service guy?

"Up there", replied the owner guy.

The owner guy had mounted a HLM617 on his ceiling (over his bed). I don't know what that did to the screen, but the holes he drilled through the case damaged some electronics in the set.

All the "nuts" of this world are not service guys.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Maybe because there was no place to drill holes through the front of the set.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
A 60" plasma that is good would've been $20,000 -- a little more dough than even 2 Samsungs, which it sounds like this guy might have paid for.

:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.