AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Bravo D1 DVD player and hooked it up to the DVI connection on my Samsung DLP HLN507W. The picture is as good as my HTPC was. I cannot tell any difference. I have noticed a problem though. When I switch the DVD player to 1080i, I can see the image, but its very distorted - like its alternating between two images.

Any suggestions?

I have posted this in the DVD forum as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=302361

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
awilki01 -

I've seen the very thing you've mentioned with Samsung DLP's in stores with 1080i demo feeds (component)... the salesman insisted it was the signal, but this happened at 2 different stores. I asked on here awhile back and apparently everyone else was having no problems with 1080i.

It's pretty strange to be having that sort of problem over a DVI connection... this problem may not be signal-related. Do you have this problem with any other 1080i sources?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, I wanted to know too. Instead of the Bravo D1, I have a Momitsu V880, which I think the internal is the same as the D1. When I switch to 1080i, the screen starts flickering. My TV is the HLM507W, and this is the feature copied from the samsungusa.com:

1080i and 720P HDTV, 480P and 480i compatibility

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Samsung's native resolution is 720p so that will be the best match when output from your DVD's DVI output. Also, the Samsung DLP only accepts HDCP copy protected DVI signals. The Bravo D1 1080i output is not HDCP compliant so the Sammy does not like it. Search the Hardware Forum for more in depth threads on HDCP and compatibility issues.

·
23,032 Posts
If the Sammy can't handle DVI without HDCP flags, then the Sammy is

"broken". Why does it work with 720p if it the Bravo is not HDCP compliant?

Just about every HD resolution outputting "box" allows you to select

a fixed output resolution and will convert other res's to the selected

resolution. So, you should be able to enjoy the Sammy using it's

native rate of 720p with virtually all HDTV "boxes".

larry

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by doug_k
awilki01 -

I've seen the very thing you've mentioned with Samsung DLP's in stores with 1080i demo feeds (component)... the salesman insisted it was the signal, but this happened at 2 different stores. I asked on here awhile back and apparently everyone else was having no problems with 1080i.

It's pretty strange to be having that sort of problem over a DVI connection... this problem may not be signal-related. Do you have this problem with any other 1080i sources?
I just tried the Bravo D1 DVD player with component inputs at 1080i and it works. But, for some reason, the DVI connection at 1080i is still having issues.

Any more ideas???

·
Registered
845 Posts
Since the Sammy is a native 720P display you should always try to feed it just that. It has a good up converter in the Faroudja chip, but there is problems introduced when it is down converting from 1080i to 720P. I confirmed this by running a test pattern in at 1080i via component, and the picture was very jumpy, but as soon as I switched it to 720P it was rock solid. I will take this up with them, and see what can be done.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SethS
Since the Sammy is a native 720P display you should always try to feed it just that. It has a good up converter in the Faroudja chip, but there is problems introduced when it is down converting from 1080i to 720P. I confirmed this by running a test pattern in at 1080i via component, and the picture was very jumpy, but as soon as I switched it to 720P it was rock solid. I will take this up with them, and see what can be done.
I agree. I should use 720p. I'm just concerned something is wrong with my TV in lieu of the issue I am experiencing with 1080i via DVI.

Thanks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.