AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a sales person that the Samsung DLP437W does not have any connections for external speakers, yet I see on a thread here that some are connecting center speakers. Was I geven wrong information or is there some way other than readily accessable jacks to connect remote speakers?

Also, could someone please explain the difference between EDTV DTV and HDTV. I know that's a kindergarden question, but I'm not a "techie" and need some basic information. I have seen some reasonable prices on Plasma tv's, but they are EDTV rather than HDTV (such as the Gateway), and am wondering if it makes sense to get them instead of the Samsung DLP.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The majority of people purchasing the 437W or 507W are listening to their audio through a Dolby Digital Audio Receiver. By definition a Dolby Digital receiver supports 5.1 channel sound which includes a center channel.

Standard television is 480 lines at 30 lines per second (odd lines are drawn and then even lines; line 1,3,5,7,etc. then 2,4,6,8). I believe EDTV is equivalent to 480p or 480 lines drawn at 60 frames per second (line 1,2,3,4,5,etc).

HDTV is high definition TV which covers greater resolutions (ie. 720p = 1280x720 / 60 frames/sec, 1080i = 1920x1080 @ 30 frames / sec.). HDTV has roughly six times the picture content of conventional TV.

The Sammy 507W / 437W represent a great PQ value, in my opinion (despite their ease of use issues). I will be receiving my 507 during earlyl January.

P.S. I have read posts from users that have bought the $3K Gateway plasma only to return it due to PQ.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.