AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
"The first prototype digital TV with DNIe was ready last December. The technology can be used with all types of digital TVs to re-create natural colors that truly please. "

Hey, I've got a radical idea: how about just get the f*%k*ng grayscale right instead of emplying some sort of signal mangler?

I've watch DNIe in action in split mode on a HLN617. Yeah, the pciture looks different, but better? It's certinaly not the cure-all for picture quality Samsung claims it to be.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ConceptVBS:

Thanks for the link. It is nice that Samsung claims that the DNIe is superior. As one of the early adopters of a HLM model that Samsung has offered to upgrade (their promise, no real action yet) with the DNIe, I would love to be able to hear about (or even better, see myself) a side by side comparison of the original HLM internal electronics versus the DNIe. Nothing I have seen or read so far offers any concrete evidence that this is not just a cost-cutting move by Samsung that they are trumpeting for marketing purposes...

I don't mean to say that Samsung is being dishonest because, as long as their replacement of the electronics and firmware upgrade is NOT vaporware, I believe they have been doing their best to deliver quality goods and support their customers. I am merely suggesting that maybe this is nothing more than a bit of "spin..."

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am a HLM507 owner. The new HLNs have the FLI2300. The data on this chip says that it does video processing. Also, the new Samsung 931 DVD player has the FLI2300 and DNIe. This leads me to wonder if DNIe is a way to set up the video processor of the FLI2300, and replace the Panasonic video processor chip of the older HLMs. Has anyone seen the block diagrams for the HLNs? I would love to see/read about an A/B PQ test between a HLMand a HLN. I also am reading HLN owners posts to see what they think about PQ and are finding out.

Mark

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
I am a HLM507 owner. The new HLNs have the FLI2300. The data on this chip says that it does video processing. Also, the new Samsung 931 DVD player has the FLI2300 and DNIe. This leads me to wonder if DNIe is a way to set up the video processor of the FLI2300, and replace the Panasonic video processor chip of the older HLMs. Has anyone seen the block diagrams for the HLNs? I would love to see/read about an A/B PQ test between a HLMand a HLN. I also am reading HLN owners posts to see what they think about PQ and are finding out.

Mark
Mark,

I am fairly certain that your theory about DNIe has been disproved in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=253009

I think he included pics of the chip itself as well.

I didn't follow every single post within that thread, but that was the gist of things that I got out of it.

Let me know what you think.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rmostad
DNIe is a chip. Quite a big one from the look of things. If you have a look at this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=253009

The picture attached to the first message shows the DNIe chip on the video processing board.
LOL. I WIN I WIN!!! I'm FASTER!! Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah! :D

Great minds think alike, huh?

Have a good one, Roger.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well to quote Roger "It's a friggin chip after all ".....what do you know? I quess I am one step closer to believing I may need the new internal upgrade board. I am a bit skeptical if it will ever be available. Anyway thanks for the info guys.

P.S. Jeff: I'm from Houston ,Texas. Went to A&M and U of H, now live in Connecticut US of A. After this winter wondering : "What was I thinking?"

I've been reading your HLN posts with interest....and hoping I didn't jump on to soon with my HLM.

Later,

Mark

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
As one of the early adopters of a HLM model that Samsung has offered to upgrade (their promise, no real action yet)
It's not June yet, the man said probably sometime in June.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Well to quote Roger "It's a friggin chip after all ".....what do you know? I quess I am one step closer to believing I may need the new internal upgrade board. I am a bit skeptical if it will ever be available. Anyway thanks for the info guys.

P.S. Jeff: I'm from Houston ,Texas. Went to A&M and U of H, now live in Connecticut US of A. After this winter wondering : "What was I thinking?"

I've been reading your HLN posts with interest....and hoping I didn't jump on to soon with my HLM.

Later,

Mark
:rolleyes: Uh oh... Aggie.

:D

Just kiddin'. I am ANYTHING but a native Texan. Moved here from Ohio for a job almost 12 years ago. Married a Longhorn. Never was an Aggie fan before... marrying her didn't help the Aggie cause any. *lol* GO BUCKEYES! GO BEARCATS!

Anywho... hopefully we can get some decent feedback on the HLN guts once someone gets some ColorFacts results. 'til then... we just sit and wait. And wait. And wait some more. And then we wait. And then... just in case you were wondering... we wait just a little bit... well, actually ALOT more. :(

I got Avia in the mail last night. Haven't fired it up yet as time has been scarce lately. I hope to possibly use it some tonight, but not certain. I may run through one more time with Video Essentials... take a lok at Fifth Element Superbit and ATOC and write down my settings. Then run Avia and do the same thing. Who knows... maybe one will look better. I DO hope that having all three color filters with the Avia disc will help set that up a little better. I'll keep y'all informed. :)

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jeff,

Ha! Well, as you know Ohio is just a Connecticut expansion territory! Anyway when you get your HLN Avia-ed here are some movies divirging a little from AOTC and LOTR....where my calibrated HLM507 sung (not vouching for the movie just PQ!):

Chicken Run

Brotherhood of the Wolf (looked absolutely amazing)

Woman on Top

Amalie

When your tuned in check out the DVD software part of this forum. There are amazing suggestions for DVD movies there.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are a lot of Texans on this site! The oil economy must still be OK!!!

Mark

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Jeff,

Ha! Well, as you know Ohio is just a Connecticut expansion territory! Anyway when you get your HLN Avia-ed here are some movies divirging a little from AOTC and LOTR....where my calibrated HLM507 sung (not vouching for the movie just PQ!):

Chicken Run

Brotherhood of the Wolf (looked absolutely amazing)

Woman on Top

Amalie

When your tuned in check out the DVD software part of this forum. There are amazing suggestions for DVD movies there.

Regards,

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for the tips, dude. Unfortunately I don't own any of the titles you suggested. And to be honest, I hadn't even heard of at least 2 of them. :)

I'll check out the threads on "reference quality" stuff over in the SW Forum. Thanks again.

Regs,

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.