AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 3662 Posts

·
Registered
14,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiappini /forum/post/0

Are the pillarbox bars on the sides of a 16x9 screen showing a 4x3 image black or gray in color?

Black. As with the other Samsung's, there may be a key combo that will change it gray, but I haven't looked to see.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Jakesnakemd

"by connecting the yellow video connector (composite video) to the green composite connector temporarily (this advice was given previously), "

The output of the 3 wire 3 color is called Component not composite.

Just so no one else gets confused.

-DonB2

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
"Originally Posted by mebert

When I do a scan, it goes fine until ch36 then it reboots! I found a way around it is to remove the antenna connection just before the ch36 scan (around 34-35) then immediately plug it back in after it passes 36 to resume with the rest of the stations."

This is a good tip on getting around the reboot!! I will give it a try.

Thanks,

Donb2

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstl /forum/post/0

I have the Dish dual tuner that down converts the HD signal to 480i to feed a second TV. The second TV is fed with a coaxial cable, and the TV must be set to channel 75 to receive the signal. If I use this box and connect it to my HDTV with HDMI, will it upconvert the signal back to 1080i?

If you are using the 622, the second TV output is an analog SD output. It can not be converted back to true HD because this info is lost. In fact if you use this box it does not decode analog SD signals at all.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Raleigh-Durham Availability

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just picked up the last DTB-260F at Circuit City in Durham on Friday and have been playing with it. I'm impressed with the tuner's ability to pick up and stay locked to digital stations that are about 40 miles away. I'm concerned that the quality of the picture is not as good as what I can get with TW Cable 8300HD. I plan to move from component cables to HDMI to see if that improves PQ. For those of you who are trying to buy one of these STBs, Best Buy in Durham had 3 in stock as of Friday night.

- Thanks for the Raleigh NC update on availability.

I just got back from the Best Buy off of 15-501 in Durham - for you Raleigh Durham folks and they had two. One was an open box and I would have bought it as a present if they had gave me a discount instead of that lousy apply towards next purchase policy they just started. They would not even let me apply it towards another purchase I was making the same day.

Oh well maybe someone else can take advantage of the two.

By the way the store number is 160 and phone for the store is (919)403-2333

-DonB2

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 /forum/post/0

Does anyone have a QAM Channel list for the (North) Seattle Comcast area? I am wondering what channels will come through if I purchase a DTB-H260F tuner for my Samsung TX-R2678WH. Thanks.

You may want to do a search in the local reception forum. There you'll most likely find a thread for Seattle and those that check that thread will be more able to help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got my act together and hooked up my composite video cable properly to get the b&w menus (yellow video to green component on stb). Brings in a nice b&w picture. Now for those with enough inputs, but are component/hdmi challenged (no inputs of that type), I just figured out this work around. I left the composite video connected to the green component output on the stb. I hooked my composite cables to video 2, and also s-video from stb to tv (video 2 and s-video share the same audio connection), then my dishnetwork composite inputs to video 1, and finally composite cables from tv out to vcr in. Can get b&w on video 2 (with menus), color s video on s-video output (no menus), dish on video 1, and also now can get a digital feed to my vcr for recordings. Kind of old school but works pretty nicely and I can just flip between video 2 and s-video to set up the stb.

Also, tried the 260 on my son-in-laws tv with component inputs Saturday. He has the very basic Comcast cable to save money. Picture is pure analog (grainy). Ran the setup on all three cable choices (standard, hrc, irc--what the heck do these mean?) and we were able to pull quite a few channels from their cable in full digital (the biggest number of channels came in on IRC) including what appeared to be quite a few pay for view movie channels! He just sat there with his mouth hanging open most of the evening. Before I left he was writing down the info off the box to go looking for one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just ordered the 260 from Amazon. I have Comcast with the Motto 6412. I am planning on dumping Comcast and going with DISH IF I get good CBS/NBC/FOX OTA (in Aptos, CA the Locals are not HD).

I am curious however. The Motto does not have RF cable out. I know I can run an antenna into the 260 and then run the HDMI from the 260 to my HD monitor (which has no tuners). But can I run the cable line into the 260 and then to the Motto and then to the monitor??? I have confused myself. Any help is appreciated.

Also with Dish (the 622 I think) how does the 260 hook up? Thanks for any feedback.

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts

pkeegan said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjohnsonCB /forum/post/0

I did buy a more expensive HDMI cable. Performance was no different--the color picture went to BW after less than a minute. I had to tear the package apart to get the new HDMI cable out (damn clamshells!!!) so I doubt the store will allow a return. I decided to try the Samsung on another set using DVI (from the other set) to HDMI (on the Samsung). There was no color fade or flagging problem, so I wonder if the problem is in the HDMI outlet on my Sony TV? I had to replace the Sony once already; I am on my second one of these and the problem is still present.[/QUOTE

What Sony model do you have?

I ask as this may be a flag to others.

Thanks

To you, Mr. Geib and anyone else concerned, I have it connected to a Sony KLV-S19A10. I talked to someone at Samsung today and he says that at least two of the Samsung boxes, including this new one, are required to incorporate HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection) software and firmware. If you use the box with a TV, usually an older one, that does not accept HDCP, you'll end up with the color-to-BW fading and occasional interference using a pure HDMI connection and you'll need to go with a component cable connection instead (this way, it looks and works fantastic for me).

But not only was I hoping to use a pure HDMI connection with no problems, the Samsung guy figured that since my Sony was bought only a few months ago, that set would accept it. So I called Sony, but after a lot of waiting, all I got was someone who claimed my model didn't, but she also assumed it had no HDMI outlet...until I told her that it was hidden behind a removable panel in the back ("Really?", she replied). Then, after about 45 minutes more of dead air punctuated by an occasional "I dunno...let me connect you with someone who might know", I got nowhere on this and still don't know if I got a bad TV, or if this TV isn't one that accepts HDCP. What concerns me further is that I'm on the clock here--I need to return the original within a certain time frame to avoid being charged for two of the same set (Sony sent me a refurbished version of the set I initially had trouble with and wants me to return the first one in the box they sent the refurb in).

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
What is the colored bar that I see when I do info on the DTB-H260F? I am not talking about the antenna strength indicator. I am talking about a bar in the upper right hand corner of the screen that appears to be filled to different degrees depending on what channel you have selected?

-DonB2

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 /forum/post/0

What is the colored bar that I see when I do info on the DTB-H260F? I am not talking about the antenna strength indicator. I am talking about a bar in the upper right hand corner of the screen that appears to be filled to different degrees depending on what channel you have selected?

-DonB2

You talking about that Green Bar ??

If so, that shows the remaining time for that Program.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/0

I suspect that if I disconnect the component output, the aspect control might then work with the S-Video output, but I haven't tried it.

Just tried it. The aspect control still doesn't work with S-Video. So, for maximum flexibility in recording from this box, you need a recorder with component-video input. But if you hook up your TV/monitor via HDMI and a recorder via component, you can have only one of the two active at a time, and you have to use the switch on the back of the box to toggle between them.

Probably better to wait for a DVD recorder that has an ATSC tuner, hopefully sometime early next year.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
DougRuss ,

Thanks, I thought maybe that was it but was not sure. I must have missed reading that in the manual.

Don

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
"until I told her that it was hidden behind a removable panel in the back "

Sounds like my Pioneer 43" with separate Media box. No where in the owner manual is there even mention of HDMI but there it is on the back of the media box.

I won't even bother to ask Pioneer about as I had enough trouble getting them to answer simpler questions.

-DonB2

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBruno /forum/post/0

Also with Dish (the 622 I think) how does the 260 hook up? Thanks for any feedback.

Greg

The Dish 622 has its own built in OTA tuner. It seamlesly integrates OTA and satellite channels into the guide. As a result the 260 is not needed if you have a 622.

Rick R

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/0

Probably better to wait for a DVD recorder that has an ATSC tuner, hopefully sometime early next year.

It'd be nice for us TVGOS users if they would find a way to workably include that, too.

(Hopefully, they won't try to rely on that lousy guide info and always wrong time that many ATSC receivers now already receive - I don't know why, but something tells me they may try to do that with some units before they finally get the TVGOS thing worked out. Or maybe they'll even try some form of digital VCR+)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got this STB, and a Westinghouse 42" LCD today. In the whole area, there was one Circuit City with this box in stock... and this is the only box of its kind currently produced, as far as I can tell. Don't know why... I guess people prefer paying rental fees to their cable company. Or there just aren't that many tuner-less displays...

anyway, I'm sure this has been covered already... but when I scan up and down in the full-screen guide, it keeps freezing up (presumably as it's getting that channel's program info). Any way to prevent that?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
"anyway, I'm sure this has been covered already... but when I scan up and down in the full-screen guide, it keeps freezing up (presumably as it's getting that channel's program info). Any way to prevent that? "

I noticed that also. It was like it had to build the additional screens as it got to them.

I am guessing it is a alternative on Samsungs part to build a portion of the guide so you at least have something to look at as opposed to building the whole guide at once which is time consuming. But this is just a guess on my part.

-DonB2

·
Registered
502 Posts
The unit is not "freezing up". It is receiving information to populate the guide. This information is obviously continuously updated, so the 260 has to collect it each time you access the guide and the info has become stale.

Love this unit, BTW. Works fabulously for me with just a Silver Sensor. Ordered my second one yesterday.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
quad user ,

Maybe so, but it is still slower than a turtle on crutches creating the next portion of the guide. It is a marked improvement at building the guide than some previous models I have tried and at least 300 percent better than the useless one that Pioneer built into my 43 inch Plasma media box. Also I like the way it throws the channel up on the tv to view while building the guide. Other models do this also but typically it is the last thing that gets displayed.

-DonB2

481 - 500 of 3662 Posts