AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 3662 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

I am considering adding MPEG-2 & DVB capability to my existing 4DTV, HDD-200, 73 Mitsubishi HDTV. Because my 73 HDTV was HD ready

I will also have to add a OTA box to receive the local TV stations presently broadcasting in HD.

I have a 10 ½' mesh dish the is C band and Ku capable. I am located in Northern California.

Now to the question, have any of the readers in this forum employed such a concept and are there any recommendations or thoughts on reveivers?

My extended thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 /forum/post/0

Also I like the way it throws the channel up on the tv to view while building the guide. Other models do this also but typically it is the last thing that gets displayed.

-DonB2

But that's just the thing -- when I scroll down a line, not only does it take 3-4 seconds to display the program list for that station, but the channel currently displaying in the corner goes dead while doing so.

I figured I could use the program guide to scan through channels/programs quickly to see what's on, but it just seems too slow to be of use in this way. Faster to just flip through channels... besides, not like I have hundreds to choose from w/ broadcast.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fisher /forum/post/0

I am considering adding MPEG-2 & DVB capability to my existing 4DTV, HDD-200, 73 Mitsubishi HDTV. Because my 73 HDTV was HD ready

I will also have to add a OTA box to receive the local TV stations presently broadcasting in HD.

I have a 10 ½' mesh dish the is C band and Ku capable. I am located in Northern California.

Now to the question, have any of the readers in this forum employed such a concept and are there any recommendations or thoughts on reveivers?

My extended thanks

You're probably better off going to the mpeg and 4dtv forums at satforums.com , but to answer your question, the Integra 912 would fill both of those needs. Unfortunately, they are exceedingly hard to find now. I would suggest any OTA tuner that works in your area and a relatively fast computer with an mpeg2 card or a slow computer with an mpeg2 card and a hardware decoder, such as the MyHD card. If you have a MyHD card, you wouldn't need a separate OTA receiver, since the card itself receives OTA programming.

·
Registered
634 Posts
DjohnsonCB,

My Pioneer Pro-530HDi is supposed to accept HDCP information, which is why I was thinking my issue with color problems was with the Samsung unit itself. I'll find out when I get my new unit. I've returned the one I had. Does anyone know if there is a new standard for HDCP that my display might not be able to accept? I assumed HDCP was standardized.

James

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper /forum/post/0

I can say that the tuner in the Samsung is very good. I need a few more days to make sure that atmospheric conditions didn't influence yesterdays result. In about 12 hours total of ota viewing I of yet had one breakup. In watching ota on my dish211 yesterday I had about 7 breakups in an hour. Most of my ota stations are 50 plus miles away. More to come.

I am about 45 - 50 miles North of Seattle with my antenna up 40 feet on a tower. I notice that every time it rains my signal strength goes down several bars on the Samsung STB. I can tell how hard it is raining by watching the TV.

One thing that bothers me is that the Samsung DTB-H260F has the zoom on the wrong aspect when set to 4:3. You get tall, skinny people. When using a 4:3 TV set the zoom should be on 4:3 aspect, not 16:9. The only way to get the correct aspect ratio from network stations on a 4:3 TV is to view "Full" with bars on the top and bottom (from the box) and sides (from the 16:9 station). When using a 16:9 TV, there is no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 /forum/post/0

Does anyone have a QAM Channel list for the (North) Seattle Comcast area? I am wondering what channels will come through if I purchase a DTB-H260F tuner for my Samsung TX-R2678WH. Thanks.

I don't know about Comcast or QAM, but here is my OTA answer. I don't know how far North of Seattle you are, but I am several miles NE of Marysville. I put up a Radio Shack 17 element UHF only antenna on a tower at 40 ft. It is aimed about 183 degrees. I get 4, 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2, 9.1, 9.3, 9.5, 11.1, 13.1, 16.1, 16.2, and about 20 other higher channels. About 1/2 of the higher channels are either religious or shopping or Spanish. Channels 4, 7 and 16 are the weakest. The biggest concern is the antenna, not the STB.

The STB seems to be about 1-2 bars stronger than just using an HD TV internal receiver. It also has a very nice station program "Guide".

·
Registered
14,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbeck /forum/post/0

I am about 45 - 50 miles North of Seattle with my antenna up 40 feet on a tower. I notice that every time it rains my signal strength goes down several bars on the Samsung STB. I can tell how hard it is raining by watching the TV.

Sounds like you may have a connector that is taking on water. You should check your outside connections to be sure they are water tight.

Quote:
One thing that bothers me is that the Samsung DTB-H260F has the zoom on the wrong aspect when set to 4:3. You get tall, skinny people. When using a 4:3 TV set the zoom should be on 4:3 aspect, not 16:9. The only way to get the correct aspect ratio from network stations on a 4:3 TV is to view "Full" with bars on the top and bottom (from the box) and sides (from the 16:9 station). When using a 16:9 TV, there is no problem.

With the STB in 4:3 mode, you can select what format you want. Be sure you have it set for letterbox. This way when the signal is 4:3 it will fill the screen and when there is a 16:9 signal, it will give you bars across the top and bottom of the screen. This will allow you to view the full wide screen picture and people will be of correct aspect. The very nature of 16:9 dictates the bars across the top and bottom on a 4:3 display for full 16:9 picture fro proper aspect ratio.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
"But that's just the thing -- when I scroll down a line, not only does it take 3-4 seconds to display the program list for that station, but the channel currently displaying in the corner goes dead while doing so."

I will say no more as I don't want Quad User to run over my toes.

-DonB2

·
Registered
4 Posts
DjonsonCB,

I'm using a Philips 34 inch tube HD monitor I bought 1.5 years ago with HDMI and can't get a signal through that port. I'm wondering if the problem is related to HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection) software and firmware. If you use the box with a TV, usually an older one, that does not accept HDCP, you'll end up with the color-to-BW fading and occasional interference using a pure HDMI connection and you'll need to go with a component cable connection instead (this way, it looks and works fantastic for me).

My component looks great though but what I see when connecting via HDMI is a black screen that for 1 second out of 10 flickers to the program and then back to black again. I've tested the HDMI cable and HDMI TV port through my Toshiba upconverting DVD player and have had great success so I know they work. But I don't know if the Sammy HDMI is failing. I suspect that signal strength isn't the problem because when I test for signal using component and the Sammy menu I get a full signal.

I am running an unpowered 8 year old radio shack internal antenna and thought maybe its time to upgrade to an external antenna but I don't think that's the problem. Oh and I did make sure to toggle to HDMI on the back of the unit when I was testing all this.

But not only was I hoping to use a pure HDMI connection with no problems, the Samsung guy figured that since my Sony was bought only a few months ago, that set would accept it. So I called Sony, but after a lot of waiting, all I got was someone who claimed my model didn't, but she also assumed it had no HDMI outlet...until I told her that it was hidden behind a removable panel in the back ("Really?", she replied). Then, after about 45 minutes more of dead air punctuated by an occasional "I dunno...let me connect you with someone who might know", I got nowhere on this and still don't know if I got a bad TV, or if this TV isn't one that accepts HDCP. What concerns me further is that I'm on the clock here--I need to return the original within a certain time frame to avoid being charged for two of the same set (Sony sent me a refurbished version of the set I initially had trouble with and wants me to return the first one in the box they sent the refurb in).

Me too, I wanted to use the HDMI on the Philips so maybe I should call Philips and ask if this model is HDCP compatable. Samsung support wasn't too helpful.

Also, this aspect ratio business is driving me nuts. 4:3 comes in full screen but 720 and 1080 have the black bars on the right and left. Seems it should be the other way around. Am I not doing something right? This wasn't the case for the Tonight Show and Monday Night Football (go Bears). I'm just a beginner with this stuff so maybe its something I'm not aware of.

My settings are for 1080 on the back of the Samsung.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
IMHO the industry needs to settle on one standard for HDCP on HDMI soon. I have read too many issues with HDMI on many different boards.

SAMSUNG seems to be one of the first on the list to incorporate any new HDCP standards.

-DonB2

·
Registered
11 Posts
How come everyone does not have this HDTV tuner in stock? I cannot find it anywhere locally. Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc. And they don't even know when they're coming in. Is Samsung having a problem producing these things or is there another reason why nobody seems to have it in stock?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
montyburnz,

The Open Box $20.00 coupon one was still available as of yesterday locally at my Best Buy that I reported about on this forum a few days ago. The brandnew one was gone. Maybe they could ship it to a local Best Buy for you.

It was not too many months ago when I walked in Best Buy and Circus City and they had no ATSC tuners on their shelves and did not even know anything about the new Samsung.

I read somewhere recently that the new 5th gen chip had been called back because although it handled multipath well it had some long range issues. I don't know if this is true.

Good Luck finding one,

DonB2

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
montyburnz,

And then there is this option EBAY if you are desparate and want to act within the next hour:

http://*******.com/yb45v4

The missing text in the URL is: *******

I give up just look on EBAY for it.

For some reason this site does not like the URL I entered.

Well the winning bid on this DTB -H260F "was Winning bid: US $213.50"

-DonB2

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I just purchased and hooked up a RS A/B switch (remote) to easily switch between ota and QAM. You almost need a programable remote like a pronto to make things easier. Just program a macro and it works great. I still have not seen one dropout on my ota stations. After using a Dish211 that would dropout very frequently. The difference between the two ota tuners is amazing.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibbs51 /forum/post/0

DjonsonCB,

I'm using a Philips 34 inch tube HD monitor I bought 1.5 years ago with HDMI and can't get a signal through that port. I'm wondering if the problem is related to HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection) software and firmware. If you use the box with a TV, usually an older one, that does not accept HDCP, you'll end up with the color-to-BW fading and occasional interference using a pure HDMI connection and you'll need to go with a component cable connection instead (this way, it looks and works fantastic for me).

My component looks great though but what I see when connecting via HDMI is a black screen that for 1 second out of 10 flickers to the program and then back to black again. I've tested the HDMI cable and HDMI TV port through my Toshiba upconverting DVD player and have had great success so I know they work. But I don't know if the Sammy HDMI is failing. I suspect that signal strength isn't the problem because when I test for signal using component and the Sammy menu I get a full signal.

I am running an unpowered 8 year old radio shack internal antenna and thought maybe its time to upgrade to an external antenna but I don't think that's the problem. Oh and I did make sure to toggle to HDMI on the back of the unit when I was testing all this.

But not only was I hoping to use a pure HDMI connection with no problems, the Samsung guy figured that since my Sony was bought only a few months ago, that set would accept it. So I called Sony, but after a lot of waiting, all I got was someone who claimed my model didn't, but she also assumed it had no HDMI outlet...until I told her that it was hidden behind a removable panel in the back ("Really?", she replied). Then, after about 45 minutes more of dead air punctuated by an occasional "I dunno...let me connect you with someone who might know", I got nowhere on this and still don't know if I got a bad TV, or if this TV isn't one that accepts HDCP. What concerns me further is that I'm on the clock here--I need to return the original within a certain time frame to avoid being charged for two of the same set (Sony sent me a refurbished version of the set I initially had trouble with and wants me to return the first one in the box they sent the refurb in).

Me too, I wanted to use the HDMI on the Philips so maybe I should call Philips and ask if this model is HDCP compatable. Samsung support wasn't too helpful.

Also, this aspect ratio business is driving me nuts. 4:3 comes in full screen but 720 and 1080 have the black bars on the right and left. Seems it should be the other way around. Am I not doing something right? This wasn't the case for the Tonight Show and Monday Night Football (go Bears). I'm just a beginner with this stuff so maybe its something I'm not aware of.

My settings are for 1080 on the back of the Samsung.

An update on my own problem: I just talked to someone at Sony Tech Support, and he says that with the Sony TV I use, I need to have the Sammy box set at 720, not 1080i. This solves the intermittent flickering interference problem, but NOT the color-to-BW fade. Everything now--without a doubt--points to either a bad box I have, or a software/firmware issue. I have nothing else to go on now; if I contact Samsung, they may try to tell me it's my TV's fault, but the fault CLEARLY lies with something in that box.

Now I have to figure out whether to contact J & R (from whom I bought), Samsung, or perhaps try to buy one from a store here to see if it works...but I'd probably run into a new set of problems with the store management upon trying to return it. I keep hoping to hear something from Samsung about a download that coud correct the problem if I connect a USB cable between the back of the Sammy and my PC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DjohnsonCB,

Let me know if Samsung informs you of an update. Since the unit is so hard to find at the stores I'm not convinced its best to return it just yet. I got mine at ABT and so I'll call them and get an incident # in case I need to return in in Jan or Feb.

In the meantime, I'll set it for 720 HDMI and hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It appears that HDMI is a problematic interface. A TV can work with 3 STB then not work with another STB that works fine with other TVs. It appears that getting a HDMI interface to work with all other possible units is difficult. Charlie Ergan of Dish Network claimed that of 5 HDMI interface issues with their 622 1 was their fault and 4 were the TVs fault.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibbs51 /forum/post/0

Also, this aspect ratio business is driving me nuts. 4:3 comes in full screen but 720 and 1080 have the black bars on the right and left. Seems it should be the other way around.

While an offending program is on, press the very bottom left button on the remote until the bars go away. 4:3 content will now be stretched, but 16:9 content will look right. To go back to full-screen 4:3 on that kind of channel, press the same bottom left button until that aspect looks right.

501 - 520 of 3662 Posts