AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I bought this Samsung DTB-H260F a few years ago and used it for OTA.

Now my university provides HD signals through cable.

My roommate has an HDTV, and we can view channels in HD, such as ESPN and the Discovery channel.

When I hooked my Samsung DTB-H260F with my monitor in compnent cables, I don't get any of those channels. Is the Samsung DTB-H260F clear qam or not? I e-mailed a technical support guy and he said this:

Quote:
"Your Samsung tuner is strictly for over-the-air signals. If you have Comcast going through it then it might not be able to descramble those signals without a built-in QAM tuner, which it doesn't have. If your TV is a monitor - without a tuner - then you would likely need a Comcast box to descramble their signal. The Samsung is for use with only an antenna."

So what's going on here? Is it clear qam or not? Am I just scanning the wrong channels? When I scan either air + cable, or cable or air, I have to select three other options that are abbreviated in three letters, what are they?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Clear QAM generally includes only the HD local broadcast stations that your cable company carries (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, MyNetwork, PBS at most). It generally does not include ESPNHD, Discovery HD, etc. For those, you need the cableco's HD box in order to decrypt them; or a CableCard device like the Tivo HD, in which case you have to rent a CableCard from the cableco.

·
Registered
897 Posts
From your manual - Demodulation Method = 8-VSB (ATSC), QAM (free channel only). It does not receive NTSC (analog channels) only clear QAM from cable or DTV from an antenna. The HDTV can receive NTSC. It is rare for cable companies to provide channels like such as ESPN and the Discovery channel in clear QAM but most still provide them as analog channels in their expanded basic package. That is the case for COX here in Phoenix. Analog and digital SD channels show 480i on my sets using the Display or Info button. HD channels show 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've read somewhere else in AVS forum about private cable distribution systems, they may not use the same standards as a regular cable company.

From what I understand, they do not need to provide channels "in the clear" since they are private.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delpheno /forum/post/15587803

Hi everyone, I bought this Samsung DTB-H260F a few years ago and used it for OTA.

Now my university provides HD signals through cable.

My roommate has an HDTV, and we can view channels in HD, such as ESPN and the Discovery channel.

Thank you.

Does your roommate use a cable box or maybe a cablecard? Or just the TV directly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholio /forum/post/15601735

Does your roommate use a cable box or maybe a cablecard? Or just the TV directly?

Directly to the TV, there's no cable box or anything.

ESPN HD and Discovery etc, are all clear QAM 'cause my university struck a deal with Comcast and are experimenting on HD.

I'm really doubting that my Sammy DTB will work 'cause it didn't before, I don't know what's really happening. But theoretically it should work correct?

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delpheno /forum/post/15608854

Directly to the TV, there's no cable box or anything.

ESPN HD and Discovery etc, are all clear QAM 'cause my university struck a deal with Comcast and are experimenting on HD.

I'm really doubting that my Sammy DTB will work 'cause it didn't before, I don't know what's really happening. But theoretically it should work correct?

To anyone else finding this thread, the DTB-H260F IS a Qam capable tuner. The previous poster might not have set his up correctly or something, but mine has worked flawlessly giving me clear QAM for almost 3 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts