AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a spy at CES, Samsung's new DVI capable DVD player will be available in July for $299.

-phil

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is the new one that also scales to 720p and 1080i?

This would be a great fill-in until true HD-DVD arrives!

Plus, I could (hopefully) scale ALL my DVD's to quasi-HD,

while waiting (who know's how long) for HD-DVD titles

to come out. Will be interesting to see this unit!!!!!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Not sure if it is the same unit but I believe the one you are talking about would only scale non copyrighted material.

Basically no movies only home videos. What a waste!

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I spoke to the Samsung people at CES yesterday about the 931 and posted this on another thread yesterday, but I'll repeat it here:

The new Samsung 931 is using the Sage/Faroudja FLi2300 chip, has scaling to 720p and 1080i through it's DVI output and supports HDCD and DVD-A. No word on zoom capabilities. It's due out in July for an MSRP of $299.95.

The HD1000 was also on display, but they didn't have any info on pricing or a possible release date. I was surprised that they even had one there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
253 Posts
All that for a mere $250...that's a really good deal. If its going to be true. The HD1000 had been on their website for ages, but yet anyone had every seen one besides at a show.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by ADGrant
The 931 isn't even on their website.
There is a link somewhere at samsungelectronics.com with info on their future products at CES. This has a very little info on the 931.

-phil

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by mroll
The new Samsung 931 is using the Sage/Faroudja FLi2300 chip, has scaling to 720p and 1080i through it's DVI output
Did you ask if the 931 will scale "copy-protected" DVDs, or just unprotected.

Does anyone know how exactly the player would determine that the DVD is protected? I wonder if it's a foregone conclusion that any movie from the MPAA will be copy-protected in a way to prevent scaling.

-phil

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Does this mean that regular movies like motion picture movies wont be outputed to 1080i?

Plus how will it output the 1080i?through component cables?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Because of that wonderful AVS/TVA PowerBuy, I have a Samsung HLM507W DLP RPTV, which can (in fact, must) scale DVD movies and everything else from 480p (or NTSC's 480i) to 720p. Will someone please explain to me why I'd need my DVD player to include any scaling capability?

I suspect that owners of many other HD displays would ask the same question.

I understand that the Samsung 931 is supposed to be using the Sage/Faroudja FLi2300 chip, and I believe that the 507 uses the FLi2200 while the 617 uses the FLi2300. Is there enough difference between the two chips to make a 507 owner want to use the 931's scaling?

Or is it that, if I were to use the 507's DVI input, I would not have access to any of the 507's internal scaling logic?

What about the fact that the 507 has only one DVI input? Could one daisy-chain DVI connections, feeding the DVD player's output to a Samsung T165 OTA HDTV receiver, and then feeding the receiver's output to the TV?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Syzygy,

I'm not certain if the 507 will scale a 480P DVI signal to 720P. You can't daisy chaing through an SIR-T165 as the 165 does not have a DVI input, only a DVI output.

You would need a DVI switch to use two DVI sources on a 507.

-phil

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
http://www.samsungelectronics.com/dv...dvd/index.html

not for dvd with copyrighted dvds
That's an old page, and refers to the HD1000 when it was only going to have component outputs (last July or so). Both it and the 931 only provide the upscaling through the DVI output.

BTW, for all of you who hate the Panasonic RP82's silver/chrome look, you'll be glad to know that the 931 has a similar silver/chrome front panel. :(

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB

Does anyone know how exactly the player would determine that the DVD is protected? I wonder if it's a foregone conclusion that any movie from the MPAA will be copy-protected in a way to prevent scaling.

-phil
I would imagine the player looks for CSS keys, if it finds them it doesn't upscale. Home burnt DVD-R doesn't have room on the disc for the keys, so it could upscale that with no problems.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
"Will someone please explain to me why I'd need my DVD player to include any scaling capability? "

Well the main reason is that the FLI2300 is going to scale better than the Sage JAG chip in the 507.

Just using 480P over DVI to input the DVD signal may be pretty nice. But as Phil mentions I don't think we know exactly what the 507 will do with it.

My brother in law has been ripping DVD's and reburning them with the minimum unencrypted video with great reported success. I suppose these would pass the ok-to-scale test.

Ken

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:

I'm sure it will not scale copy-protected DVDs. Copy protection is indicated by a flag in the data stream. The MPAA does not produce movies, but I think it's safe to assume that pretty much all releases from major studios will be protected.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706
Does this mean that regular movies like motion picture movies wont be outputed to 1080i?

Plus how will it output the 1080i?through component cables?
I believe that if a disc is protected, the player cannot deliver an output beyond 480p. The scaled output, when available, will be through DVI output.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
I'm not certain if the 507 will scale a 480P DVI signal to 720P.
It will. It has to.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.