AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the original "The FINAL WORD on the Samsung DVD-HD1000 " thread got closed recently but I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I had no idea that my original post would cause so much heated debate. I didn't realize that people felt so strongly about this player. I also didn't realize there was such an "anti - HD Component" setiment around here. Kind of comical if you ask me?!?! All of my experience with HDTV through Component I/O has been amazing thus far. This is not to put down DVI - but - nothing in my system has DVI at this point and redoing my entire system is not a viable option for many logistical reasons other than $$$.

I put in a pre-order for the DVD-HD1000 from Harvey's electronics in Eatontown, NJ. I was told i would receieve it by this Friday when I first placed the order (which was almost two weeks ago). But I called the store as of last Wednesday and they still haven't received them in yet.

As soon as I setup the unit I will post a FULL and DETAILED REVIEW. Like I said previously I have a SONY 34" 34XBR2 HDTV (no DVI) with many HD Component sources feeding into my system right now (Sony Progressive Scan, DirecTV HD-200, Comcast 3100HD, JVC SR5U W-VHS VCR, PS2 Component Out, and a HTPC) so I have many different sources for a vareity of comparisions. My DVD collection is in excessive of 600 discs, so I have a great deal of content to test on this unit.

Once again thanks to everyone's input regarding the DVD-HD1000. I hope this player is everything it was advertised to be. If it isn't I will be the first one to admit it. If it is - I will be heaven!!

Thanks again,

Doc

PS - I plan on purchasing 61-63" Plasma in early 2004 for a new place. I really liked the reviews I have heard about Samsung's new 63" plasma coming out this July (HPN6339) - has any body heard anything about any new contenders coming out later this year/early next year?

·
Registered
33 Posts
By the by. . .their real ETA is May 20. . . according to the guys from Samsung.

And the DVDHD should look hot on the Samsung plasma, it looked really good on the Samsung 50", which was my primary monitor I had it hooked up to.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am also on the same waiting list as dreggman and can't wait to get to try the HD1000. Sorry to hear that 5/20 is arrival day at Harvey. I have Kevin Miller coming to my home to do an ISF adjustment on 5/18 to my old fashioned non-DVI display (510). Guess it will be done with the PMDT - NRS (540p) combo.

I am looking forward to seeing if I can distinguish a significant difference between 540p and 720p.

BP

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
BP,

Grayscale changes from devide to device. If I were you I would reschedule the calibration till you have the HD1000.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wow,

Dreggman, I believe that you are going to enjoy the Samsung DVD-HD1000 player on your Sony 34" XBR. I recently placed an order for a second one through Steve Brown at Harvey Electronics.

Note: To anyone who does not have the ability to directly pick up their HD-1000 unit at Harvey's, I would suggest having your unit double-boxed when shipped. My first one, the box arrived a bit war-torn, and so for a little more, you can request a double-boxing.

BP, I had the good fortune of seeing the HD-1000 on a variety of different front-projectors, and I would encourage you to reschedule your ISF calibration to after you receive your HD-1000.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Segaboy,

What display are you usin your HD-1000 with?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am using a Toshiba 34" HD-capable monitor that has been ISF calibrated and I am going to purchase a Samsung 56" DLP when they become available.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Are there any other HD1000 owners out there that can report back to us how you like it now that you've owned it a while?????

Thanks so much,

Scott

·
Registered
463 Posts
Two thumbs up!!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Segaboy,

does your Toshiba do the 540P upconversion? I am just wondering if you see a difference when using the HD-1000 in 1080i mode compare to the Toshiba upconversion. I ask because I have a Toshiba 65HX81 that does do the 540P thing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It only accepts 480i, 480p, or 1080i via 3-RCA Wideband component video.

It will not display a 720p or 540p signal (black screen).

Will eventually be a bedroom monitor. :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Thanks Segaboy,

I am trying to find out if there is anybody with the same type of TV I have to see if they saw a difference before I jump in.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Very tastefully done, Larry. I love the info I get from this thread. Keep it up guys, you're very close to pushing me over the edge an I'm afraid I might like it. Thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm on the edge and drooling. The only things that keep me from going over it is the price tag. I will buy it in a heart beat if it is $800. I'm very jealous to those people who own this bad boy. I have a 34" sampo which can do both 720P and 1080i and this machine fit my TV perfectly.

From everything I read, this will be the only machine that can output great upscale hi-dif picture through component now and in the future. Am I right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
After seeing this player head to head with a D-Theatre deck on 10 foot screen, I'm still pretty high on it. The bigger screen did expose the HD1000 weaknesses. When comparing U-571 on the JVC deck vs the Samsung, the Samsung's image was softer. But I think that has to do with the image size exposing things I wouldn't normally see on MY display, and also that particular D-Theatre title is widely considered one of the best transfers for that format. The differences weren't as obvious when comparing "The Transporter". I think if you are using this player on a 34" screen, you'll be pretty happy with your decision. For me, this player is light years ahead of my Sony S7700 interlaced player.

Head to head with the Sony ES999 progressive scan player, I prefered the Samsung's darker and more detailed image. I do think that if your are going to get this player your should get your display recalibrated. I've found the picture to be much brighter when it is set to 480p.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I looked the HD1000 up on Samsung's website and found the following paragraph:

*Notice:If playing a copy-protected DVD, 720p output or 1080i output is automatically converted to 480p output. Picture flickering may occur for 1~2 seconds during the shifting process.

Does copy-protected mean Macrovision? If so doesn't this severely limit the number of dvds that can benefit from this machine?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Gang,

Quick question about getting my set calibrated - 1) How much does it cost? 2)Anyone know where I can find someone to do this in the DC Metropolitian Area?

I live in Alexandria, VA and don't know of anyone around here who does that. I think I need calibration on my set, because when I use the menus of my SAT-HD200, I notice that the left side of the screen is blurrier when compared to the right side of the screen. The text is sharper on one side of the screen as opposed to the other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Doc.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dreggman
Hey Gang,

Quick question about getting my set calibrated - 1) How much does it cost? 2)Anyone know where I can find someone to do this in the DC Metropolitian Area?

I live in Alexandria, VA and don't know of anyone around here who does that. I think I need calibration on my set, because when I use the menus of my SAT-HD200, I notice that the left side of the screen is blurrier when compared to the right side of the screen. The text is sharper on one side of the screen as opposed to the other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Doc.
i've used chuck williams to cal my projector.

a search in these forums pulls up his email address

and phone number.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.