AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just ordered a Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player with the DVI out to use with my Sony KDF-70XBR950.

First, does the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player come from the factory with a DVI cable in the box?

If so, is it a DVI-D cable or DVI-I cable and is it a single link or dual link cable?

Will the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player play the following:

DVD-Audio discs

Super Audio CD (SACD) discs

DVD-RW discs (recorded in DVD Video Recording mode)

DVD-RAM discs (recorded in DVD Video)

Windows Media Audio compressed audio files that have been copied onto CD-R/RW discs

CDs burned in the video CD format (MPEG-1)

Does the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player have a 6 channel audio decoder (separates audio into up to six true channels: front left and right, front center (for dialogue), two rear (surround) speakers with discrete wide-band signals, and a subwoofer?

Does the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player come with a Universal Remote?

Any accurate information will be much appreciated.

Thank You.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Let me answer what I can

First, does the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player come from the factory with a DVI cable in the box?

Now they do, but I believe that is only for Nov and later build dates.

If so, is it a DVI-D cable or DVI-I cable and is it a single link or dual link cable?

DVI-D - Sammy only produces digital out

Will the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player play the following:

DVD-Audio discs
no

Super Audio CD (SACD) discs
no

DVD-RW discs (recorded in DVD Video Recording mode)
Have not personally tested but others here say yes

DVD-RAM discs (recorded in DVD Video)
Not a clue. Would never use one

Windows Media Audio compressed audio files that have been copied onto CD-R/RW discs
dunno, i use mp3

CDs burned in the video CD format (MPEG-1)
Nope. almost a dealbreaker for me

Does the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player have a 6 channel audio decoder (separates audio into up to six true channels: front left and right, front center (for dialogue), two rear (surround) speakers with discrete wide-band signals, and a subwoofer?
as far as my understanding, that is up to your receiver. it has digital outs but any good dvd player lets the receiver decode.

Does the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player come with a Universal Remote?
you don't want to touch that remote. get something else and throw it away in a drawer.

wow. a lot of no's to you answer. might not be the player for you. sorry.

- jb

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrkaos, thank you for your quick reply and information.

Do you know if the DVI-D cable included with the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD players is single link or dual link?

I understand that a single link cables will only support up to 1280 x 1024 resolution, whereas dual link cable supports up to 1920 x 1080 resolution, so am I correct to assume that a dual link cable is required for 1080i?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Corvette,

Honest opinion...I would advise you avoid the HD-931. I had it for about 2 months - for the DVI output with my Sony GWIII (KFWE50610).

Returned it due to major black crush issues - some dark scenes in movies were almost invisible. Also some color over sampling issues.

If you really feel like trying it out - make sure you have a no questions asked return policy.

After returning the HD-931 - I've cycled through a Denon DVD-2200, a Sony NS725P and finally found a mint Denon DVD-1600.

The 1600 is light years ahead of the Samsung, considerably better than the Sony, fairly identical video quality with the 2200 - and a lot cheaper than it.

I think it will take at least 12 - 18 mths for really good quality and affordable DVI equipped players to hit the market.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RATS!....too late, bought it a few days ago.

I understood that the problems you describe were addressed by Samsung through firmware upgrades as was the Sony compatibility with the revisions to the KDF-70XBR950.

Seemed that the Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player had the edge over the Bravo, which as i understand is the only other DVI player currently available.

Maybe I should have waited.

Fingers crossed hopping for no problems.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Don't worry - so far the 931 is the most problem free DVI player out there in terms of loading and playing discs. And no doubt the video performance will be a significant upgrade from what you've been using.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From what I heard, unless the 931 is connected via DVI to your TV you don't get the benefit of the pseudo up-conversion. My Toshiba HDTV only has component inputs.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, it'd be a waste for me to purchase with my current TV.

Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomh
From what I heard, unless the 931 is connected via DVI to your TV you don't get the benefit of the pseudo up-conversion. My Toshiba HDTV only has component inputs.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, it'd be a waste for me to purchase with my current TV.

Thanks
Very true.

If you are just going to be using component there are a lot of better and cheaper players out there. Even the DVI part is not worth it. Can't pass PLUGE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.