AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the 931 at Best Buy on Monday, Sept. 22. I'd heard that the DVI output really wouldn't be much of an advantage on my rpCRT set (Toshiba 51H83), but I wanted to find out for myself. I've done some rather extensive testing of this DVD player over the last 2 days.

Here are the vital statistics of the equipment I used in my tests:

- Toshiba 51H83 rpCRT set

- Samsung HD931 DVD Player (S-Video, Component, and DVI all tested)

- Sony DVP-S300 DVD Player (S-Video only)

- Digital Video Essentials (DVE) calibration disc

The first thing I did when testing the 931 was to hook up the DVI output to my 51H83. I immediately tried all three output resolutions (480p, 720p, and 1080i). All displayed a picture just fine, with no problems with snow (as some people with non-HDCP compliant sets have reported) or a shifted image (as some with CRT displays have reported).

Next, I began calibrating the set's user controls using the DVE test patterns (title 12). I immediately ran into problems trying to set black level (brightness). As others have reported, the 931 does not pass PLUGE (i.e. it cannot pass a blacker-than-black signal). The bigger problem, however, is that it appears to clip signals that are slightly above black as well! (Some people have reported that the 931 "crushes" blacks). Continuing through the test patterns, it also became apparent that the 931 seems to clip whites as well, which a few people have also reported. (Note: this actually wasn't fully apparent to me until I comapred the DVI output on the 931 to the component output).

The 931 allows the S-Video, Component Video, and DVI outputs to all be active at the same time. I hooked up each output to my 51H83 and then toggled the inputs on the set so that I could view the same pattern/image using each different output on the 931. This was *very* enlightenting, and the major observations are:
  • the DVI output on the 931 provides a razor-sharp image. The resolution test patterns on DVE were very well-define when compared to component (which is a nice surprise) and S-Video (which is expected)
  • the DVI output clips both blacks and whites. The S-Video and Component outputs both do a better job at providing better image detail both with low-level images and with high-level images
  • the DVI output and the component outputs both do a very nice job with color separation, with DVI being nearly identical to component, and both are much better than S-Video (expected)
  • the upscaling to 720p and 1080i (available on the DVI output only) have little affect on the resulting image
  • the DVI output was not able to provide true blacks without significant loss in picture detail

On real-world moving pictures, the differences between DVI and component that I saw in in the test patterns were clearly apparent. I viewed portions of Star Wars: TPM, switching between component and DVI inputs. Quite honestly, the DVI output on the 931 provides a dreadful picture when comapred to its component output. I attribute this completely to its inability to provide picture detail at very low and very high levels (blacks and whites). The overall picture contrast is less with the DVI output than the component output, and the loss if picture detail is readily apparent when viewing dark scenes.

I did notice that with areas of the picture that were of "average" light level, that the DVI output provided more detail (as seen in the resolution test patterns), but this does not make up for the inability to provde details at low light levels. You would be surprised just how much picture detail is in the shadows and darker areas of the picture, and the DVI output on the 931 is unable to render these details. They are simply lost in the surroundings.

I bought the 931 as an upgrade to my old sony DVP-S300. While the component outputs are definitely a step up from my old player, the only reason I got the 931 was to see if the DVI output (and the upscaling to 1080i) would provide a dramatic picture improvement. With the DVI output crippled with respect to blacks and whites, I will be much better off with a much cheaper progressive scan player.

I know I definitely need to upgrade to a progressive-scan player, but it will not be to the Samsung 931. I will be returning the 931 to Best Buy before the weekend.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great review! I too have a 931. I just got the DVE disc and found that this post is positively correct - the player will not pass PLUGE. One thing not mentioned is that this player also can exhibit very annoying edge enhancement in limited circumstances.

I will say, however, that, in my setup, the DVI at 720p going to my Dwin TV3 is pretty amazing. Much better than my Sony 999ES. I'm keeping this player until one of the high end players is released with DVI output enabled.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great comments. I bought one Monday also and it will not work on my DPX-1 projector. I am contemplating moving it to my HLN567W or just returning it. Any comments on a suitable replacement would be appreciated. I really wanted to use the DVI output. Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Warp, I too noticed the loss of detail with the Sammy 931 on my Toshiba CRT, but when I purchased the Sammy DLP, the picture changed drastically. Most of the independent reviews I've read stated that this DVD player was best suited for "fixed pixel displays". None of them state much of an improvement on CRT displays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.