AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know when this player is schedules to hit the streets?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Can't wait till it comes out!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Concept,

I would not say that the DVD-HD931 is a stripped version of the DVD-HD1000 at any level. The build quality is incomparible. My DVD-HD1000 weighs almost 40-lbs. The 931 is roughly one-quarter of that.

They really are two completely different machines. When BMW introduced the M3-CSL Lightweight edition, that was a 'stripped' version of the M3. This was due to the fact that they removed the A/C, the stereo, the dash was made of Carbon-fiber, etc. etc. After shaving hundreds of pounds they had achieved their goal of a 'stripped' M3.

If you have the opportunity to use a DVD-HD1000, I believe you will have a better understanding of what I mean. I am NOT trying to slam you, but these two machines are of truly different calibers.

·
Registered
980 Posts
SegaBoy you are right about the build quality but there is a good chance that the 931 will produce better results due to the fact that it will be passing the signal through an all-digital connection (DVI) and therefor avoiding artifacts induced by D/A conversion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why the DVI out is so important?

In my opinion, it will only be important when the manufacturers of the products displaying the image will allow some calibration / fine tuning to the picture which you can't do now (in DVI mode), as far as I know.

I say this because I had my Sharp Z10K calibrated on the component and DVI side and the component side looks better because you can adjust all the parameters.

I admit that out of the box, the DVI looked better and so if there is no calibration, the DVI would be the way to go.

Nic

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DooDoo
SegaBoy you are right about the build quality but there is a good chance that the 931 will produce better results due to the fact that it will be passing the signal through an all-digital connection (DVI) and therefor avoiding artifacts induced by D/A conversion.
Of course if you're using a direct view TV then you just moved the DAC from the DVD player to the TV set. Now if you're using a digital display of some sort, then you've circomvented DAC issues.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Segaboy
Concept,

I would not say that the DVD-HD931 is a stripped version of the DVD-HD1000 at any level. The build quality is incomparible. My DVD-HD1000 weighs almost 40-lbs. The 931 is roughly one-quarter of that.

If you have the opportunity to use a DVD-HD1000, I believe you will have a better understanding of what I mean. I am NOT trying to slam you, but these two machines are of truly different calibers.
So what is included in the extra weight?

Both use the same all-important Sage FL2300 chipset, have DCDi, and DVD-A correct? Does one allow you to turn off the video section for DVD-A play back? I have seen heavier more expensive models get beat down by players like the RP-82.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
So what is included in the extra weight?

Both use the same all-important Sage FL2300 chipset, have DCDi, and DVD-A correct? Does one allow you to turn off the video section for DVD-A play back? I have seen heavier more expensive models get beat down by players like the RP-82.
I think I have this correct.

The HD-1000 uses the FL12300 chip for it's analogue video component outputs..and with the firmware upgrade it will upscale the DVD disk content to 1080i regardless of DVD copy control on the disc.

The HD-931 however uses the FL12301 chipset which is the digital version of the FL12300 and that is for it's digital DVI output.

That output is copy control protected "in the chip".

If you play the right/wrong disc you only get 480.

That chipset is going to dam hard to hack.

Not mention the hack that will also be needed for the TV.

We're screwed.

I agree with SegaBoy the HD-1000 is a wonderful machine....built like a tank.
My next player

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yep you need HDCP compliant display device with DVI input to get around this horrid copy protection scheme (or play nonprotected DVDs--rare). The Bravo D1 for $200 is now shipping and is pretty much the same thing minus the FLI2301 of course.

·
Registered
587 Posts
In order to obtain the advantages of upscaling in the 931, do you have to use the DVI connector?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jw_Wood
In order to obtain the advantages upscaling in the 931, do you have to use the DVI connector?
Yep!! DVI only for upscaling....and a non copy controlled DVD disc!!!!!

It's component video outputs only has 480 output all the time.

We're screwed

Fun ehh!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ve4can:

My interpretation of what the Bravo D1 and the Samsung DVD H931 can do is different than yours. If you hook up either of these boxes through DVI to a monitor with DVI that is HDCP-equipped (they do not all have the copy protection), then you will be able to scale and play even copy protected DVDs in 720p or 1080i. The only time the playback is limited is when you are NOT outputing to an HDCP-equipped DVI or when you are outputting through component. For those of us who have fixed pixel displays with HDCP DVI inputs, this means we can play back any DVD entirely in the digital domain scaled to our particular HD "flavor." I have a 1280 X 720 DLP with an HDCP-equipped DVI input and I am definitely going to try one or both of these players outputing my TV's native 720p :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
I read somewhere their might be "some type of box" that will connect between the DVD player and our non-HDCP DVI displays. This box will contain the HDCP encryption codes that will allow our displays to work. Has anyone else heard of this? And what is the proper name of this box?

~ Jay

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jw_Wood
I read somewhere their might be "some type of box" that will connect between the DVD player and our non-HDCP DVI displays. This box will contain the HDCP encryption codes that will allow our displays to work. Has anyone else heard of this? And what is the proper name of this box?
I think they're going to call it "5-10 with Time Off for Good Behavior Box." Such a device is illegal to design or manufacture under the DMCA as now written--it's verboten to crack a digital copy protection scheme, and the specific fair use cases are fuzzy. Time will tell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got an email from samsung support.

They said as of right now the HD931 will be ready late May, early June.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
ve4can:

My interpretation of what the Bravo D1 and the Samsung DVD H931 can do is different than yours.

If you hook up either of these boxes through DVI to a monitor with DVI that is HDCP-equipped (they do not all have the copy protection), then you will be able to scale and play even copy protected DVDs in 720p or 1080i.
Boy I sure hope your right on this one .....I was following a thread on another forum about 1 month ago.....and they were suggesting that if the disc was copy protected...all you could get was 480.

Yippy!! maybe we aren't as screwed as I thought.

Quote:
For those of us who have fixed pixel displays with HDCP DVI inputs, this means we can play back any DVD entirely in the digital domain scaled to our particular HD "flavor." I have a 1280 X 720 DLP with an HDCP-equipped DVI input and I am definitely going to try one or both of these players outputting my TV's native 720p :D
Thanks for the heads up on this....I'm in the market for a new monitor.

I will make dam sure it has the same capability...fixed pixel, HDCP DVI.

THANKS FOR INFO

Let us know how the player works when you get to try it.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.