AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dvd player is about a year old, is acting wierd. It delays when I try to click on anything, sort of like a slow computer. But, most of the time it won't even take. I'm lucky if I get the movie to play but, I can't try to skip forward or backword it just freezes. I want to be able to click on different things such as extra features but, it either goes really slow getting there or not at all. Sometimes it just freezes while the movies playing and sometimes it will start going again or not. Is it just in need of being cleaned or is it on the fritz?

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,428 Posts

Dirty heads can cause "stuttering" or locking up during the playing of a disc.

If you don't want to do anything fancy, for a DVD player, a laser lens cleaner DVD may be useful. The one I have has a couple small brushes for brushing dust off the lens. The DVD Player Cleaning Disc I have is not recommended for Blu-ray players. The Blu-ray Lens Cleaner disc I have has a couple of small holes in the business area of the disc and the air vortex those holes create as the disc spins is suppose to move the dust off the lens without any risk of scratching the lens. There are probably other products on the market now, but these are simple-to-use discs that you pop in, play, and eject, and use again the next time the player starts stuttering.

Sometimes a dirty disc will also have problems, and the Netflix Help Center used to recommend window cleaner and a soft rag for cleaning the bottom (business) surface of the DVD and wiping from center, out, since if any debris causes scratches those scratches would have minimal impact if they radiate out and maximum detrimental impact if they curve with the disc; and I have taken to using a small spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag. The current recommendation is soft cloth and lukewarm water.

Generally, when I start experiencing stuttering discs, I'll clean the disc and use the appropriate cleaning disc in the player, and try again.

Since most of my disc viewing consists of Netflix discs, I have stayed away from disc polishers and scratch removers since I consider anything beyond removal of dust and grease to be beyond my responsibility as their customer.

I have had a couple of DVD players die on me and in both cases the red laser light had stopped working, so the DVD player would complain of no disc. A clean rag, a bit of rubbing alcohol (and make sure the disc is dry before reinserting into the player), and a cleaning disc that you can use repeatedly are far cheaper than a new DVD player.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts