AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Progress Report on DVD-R155 (Probably also relevant for R157):

The hookup:

Input: S-video and stereo audio from my satellite box (dual out)

Input: Composite video and stereo audio from my 7 year-old Sony VCR

Output: HDMI to my Samsung HLS5687W DLP

Output: Digital Coax to A/V receiver

The good:

When watching TV through the recorder, the picture is outstanding. Virtually indistinguishable from the signal going straight from the satbox to the TV via HDMI. The best way to describe it is to say that all the standard def is excellent. I would swear it is upconverting that S-Video signal.

As for HD signals, they are very good. Not outstanding, and slightly lower quality than satbox-to-TV, but eminently watchable. My friends can't tell if I don't say which input I'm on.

I have standard basic cable running into my VCR as a backup. VCR-to-TV, this picture is not very good. In fact, it is pretty sorry. THIS RECORDER IS WITHOUT A DOUBT PROGRESSIVE SCANNING AND UPCONVERTING THIS SIGNAL. I almost could not believe the improvement in picture quality. Some channels look just as good as Satbox-to-TV.

This unit is also progressive scanning and upconverting VHS. Seriously. Far superior than VCR-to-TV. Old movies and home videos are getting the DVD-quality treatment. Some very minor color-washing when the progressive scan is set to 1080i, but not enough to cry about. I am reconsidering keeping some of those old tapes.

Recordings are looking very good at LP speed from HD DVR content. Also very good from SD content at LP speed. Have made one recording from an SD original at EP speed and it was only OK. Would not recommend that for anything where the picture quality is essential. Will report more as I experiment with other speeds and blank media.

DVD's look outstanding, even the older ones. I have yet to be disappointed.

Looks good with the rest of my gear.

The bad:

The V and VR modes for recording are still very confusing. The recorder seems to default to one setting or the other depending on the media and I have not found a way to change that. This is difficult, because they have very different features. Will report more on this as I learn more about it.

Cannot play a finalized -RW (VR mode) in another player, including the DVD drive in my computer. This is very disappointing. I am hoping it is a media problem, because the most editing options are available using a -RW in VR mode. Will report more later.

Only one S-Video input (why no composite?) and only one set of rear inputs. Would have preferred to see another set on the back and an additional S-video. Also, the front input is disguised by a panel, which must now be open because I'm running the VCR through it.

Initial summary:

Pretty darn good unit, and overall I am very happy for my first DVD recorder. Paid $129 at Best Buy.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
I'm not familiar with this model. Is this one of the ones released that does not have any tuner?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, fairly new model. Was released a couple of months ago along with the DVD-R157 which has additional +R and +RW capability. Both are tunerless, which so far is proving to be easier to deal with.

It has 4 speeds - EP, LP, SP and XP. Still experimenting.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftBackYank /forum/post/0

Progress Report on DVD-R155 (Probably also relevant for R157):

The V and VR modes for recording are still very confusing. The recorder seems to default to one setting or the other depending on the media and I have not found a way to change that. This is difficult, because they have very different features. Will report more on this as I learn more about it.

Cannot play a finalized -RW (VR mode) in another player, including the DVD drive in my computer. This is very disappointing. I am hoping it is a media problem, because the most editing options are available using a -RW in VR mode. Will report more later.

Thanks for the details on this model! -RW(VR) is one of my favorite topics

I am guessing the recorder will probably default to V (Video mode) for write-once media (eg DVD-R and DVD+R), and probably VR for the rewriteables (-RW, maybe +RW). This is only a guess however!

From what people are saying in the forums, newer dvd players (eg from last 2-4 years perhaps) are more likely to be able to play of -RW(VR), however there seem to be some incompatibilities, one way or the other. The user manual of the dvd player should state whether it can play back -RW(VR). In theory, -RW(VR) does not need to be finalized... I don't know much about computer dvd drives

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm considering this, or one of its family members, but I've seen reports that it doesn't work by HDMI with some TVs, notably the Philips plasmas. I have a Philips LCD, but I don't know if it's the same problem as with the plasmas.

Anyone using this (or the r157, or vr355 or vr357) could you please list what TV you have and whether you are using HDMI?

Thanks!

daloosh

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daloosh /forum/post/0

Thanks for the review. I'm considering this, or one of its family members, but I've seen reports that it doesn't work by HDMI with some TVs, notably the Philips plasmas. I have a Philips LCD, but I don't know if it's the same problem as with the plasmas.

Anyone using this (or the r157, or vr355 or vr357) could you please list what TV you have and whether you are using HDMI?

Thanks!

daloosh

I use the dvd-r 155 with Samsung LCD 32" and woks fine , no problem. By the way anyone knows the code to unlock the dvd areas?

·
Registered
93 Posts
im thinking about buying this upconverter/recorder but bestbuy was out of stock. Can anyone confirm that it does play DTS movies? my current Lite On recorder wont pass the DTS sound. Does the upconverting of DVDs look good? does it upconvert video that passes thru it like if you had cable/satellite hooked to it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m using R155 with Samsung 32" lcd with HDMI and do not have any problem, also I already backup about 20+ old VHS recordings and is working fine. Problem which I will mention is with RICOH DVD-RW disks - from four RW media only one was working all others start to initialize and recorder simple hangs on 10, 20 or 50%, I even try to full erase DVDs on computer - but didn’t help. After this I take SONY -RW media which are marked like 1-2 speed compatible and everything works like charm - no problems with all 10 of them, also didn’t mention any other media problem.

Soon the firmware update is realized - and for some reason it fails to update - I always get the message that disk is not recognized.

On different courtiers sites I find different firmware upgrade manuals, but no one help.

Finally I get where can be mistake: the firmware update file name is R155P.RUF (R155P.RUF is comming from downloaded ZIP archive - no problems to uncompress this one) - after changing the extension RUF to ZIP and opening with WinRAR I get error message on winrar saying that archive is not complete - btw archive contain MAIN.BIN file. I also try other archives and always get error message which can tell me that R155P.RUF file is not good. Samsung screwed up with bad firmware update file

Please post your experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just read a bunch of reviews at Best Buy's site from some very unhappy customers. For all of them, the unit crapped out after about 4-5 months, when they found out that the Labor Warranty is only 90 days, and the repair would cost almost as much as the unit itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.