AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got one of these for Xmas and it worked great for the first couple of weeks. It all of a sudden stopped being able to initialize DVD +RDL discs. I called Samsung and they told me to return it so I did. I got a brand new one yesterday and hooked it up. Whenever I turn it on my TV screen goes purple for a few seconds (and I lose sound), then normal picture/sound is returned. I called Samsung and they told me to take it back and have the store hook it up to one of their TV's.

I'm using an RCA hook up (and yes I've checked the connections a gazillion times). Does anyone know if this is a major problem? Everything else seems to be working on it okay. If I need to return it I only have 5 days left before my original 30 days runs out. If I return it to Samsung they will only give me a refurbished one.

Anyone know anything about this???

TIA

chloe

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Well I would say if the 1st one wasn't doing it when you first got it the 2nd one should'nt be doing it either. What did Samsung tell you about the "Purple Screen?"

My neighbor has last years Samsung VR320 Combo & when you first turn it on it starts to read the disc & then kind of flicks & goes back to a the same picture but there is no color changes in the picture but maybe that is your TV?

Again, Why does Samsung want you to try it out on a different TV?

If I was you & I know they are more money (But Not Really That Much More) I would see if the store will let you upgrade to a Panasonic Combo in place of the Samsung.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. Of course Samsung had never heard of it. I don't know why it would be my TV because it didn't do that on the first one. I'm ready to throw in the towel. If I have a problem with 2 I don't know if I want to try a 3rd YKWIM? Maybe I will look into the Panasonic one.

Thanks again

chloe

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the Panny's are the best Combos on the market. My neighbor's Samsung is not bad but his was a refurbished model that he got for only $89.99 for the Family Room for the kids.

The Panny's maybe more but you also get over the Samsung the best "LP" 4 hour Recording Quality on the market, "FR" Flex-Recording Mode, "Time Slip" (Record & Play At The same Time) & a Remote that is easier to work, a lot better VCR Section, better build-quality overall & a very good TBC for dubbing video tapes.

What you loose compared to the Samsung is "Chapter Thumbnails" (Not Title Thumbnails) & I think that's about it.

From some of the prices I've seen if you look around your only talking about $25.00 or so more for the Panasonic DMR-ES35V & remember your going to be living with it hopefully for a while so to me it would be more than worth it to go for a Panny.

If it matters a few months back I got a Panny Combo unit for my daughter but I did buy it from a member here but again the only Combo unit I would buy is a Panny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.