AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the DVI to HDMI conversion cables directional? I have a HDMI to DVI cable and I'm trying to use it to give me a picture from my Samsung DVI to my plasma with HDMI. Will this work? Right now I don't know if I have a bum cable or these cables are directional. Thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Are the DVI to HDMI conversion cables directional? I have a HDMI to DVI cable and I'm trying to use it to give me a picture from my Samsung DVI to my plasma with HDMI. Will this work? Right now I don't know if I have a bum cable or these cables are directional. Thanks
I use a DVI/DVI cable with a DVI/HDMI adapter on the output end.

I have heard, however, that there are issues with the HDMI connection to some plasma monitors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
While I am no expert, I believe the following to be true: hdmi to dvi will work because while both an audio and video signal are being sent from the output device, the input device is just looking for a video signal and will recognize it. dvi to hdmi won't work because the output device is sending only a video signal, while the input device is looking for both an audio and video signal.

Someone please correct me if this is not true.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What brand of plasma monitor do you have and what has happened when you have tried to connect them? I ask because I have a Mitsubishi plasma and there are some steps which you need to take to get it to work.

Spencer Gross

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA6
While I am no expert, I believe the following to be true: hdmi to dvi will work because while both an audio and video signal are being sent from the output device, the input device is just looking for a video signal and will recognize it. dvi to hdmi won't work because the output device is sending only a video signal, while the input device is looking for both an audio and video signal.

I use a DVI->HDMI cable from my test pattern generator to the HDMI inputs on TV's all the time and it has always worked. I know of no reason it would only work in one direction.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA6

It's not true.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo
I use a DVI->HDMI cable from my test pattern generator to the HDMI inputs on TV's all the time and it has always worked. I know of no reason it would only work in one direction.
Thanks for the input. So that same cable would from from an HDMI box to a DVI TV? I guess my DVI for the Samsung 360 isn't working. Big surprise. And my component output just crapped out on me last night after working for a year.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Thanks for the input. So that same cable would from from an HDMI box to a DVI TV? I guess my DVI for the Samsung 360 isn't working. Big surprise. And my component output just crapped out on me last night after working for a year.
Yes, it should work both ways. I use the cable that came with my HD-Tivo for doing HDMI->DVI, but I use it for DVI->HDMI.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo
Yes, it should work both ways. I use the cable that came with my HD-Tivo for doing HDMI->DVI, but I use it for DVI->HDMI.
That answers my question perfectly, since that's what I'm trying to do.

It's great having a Samsung HD box and NO HD OUTPUTS that work.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Did you switch the output on the front of the box? I'm sure you did but thought I'd ask anyway.....you wouldn't be the first person to overlook that minor detail. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Did you switch the output on the front of the box? I'm sure you did but thought I'd ask anyway.....you wouldn't be the first person to overlook that minor detail. ;)
Thanks for the tip. I had it switched to RGB/DVI and still no picture.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Try turning the TV on first, then the STB. You may be having HDCP handshake problems.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned that component crapped out after a year. Its possible that the whole HD output section is dead. You might need a replacement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Help please.. I currently have my plasma connected to HDMI and my cable to DVI. I'm switching to DirectTV next week and found out that the HD box is HDMI. Do I need to replace the cable with a HDMI to HDMI cable or can I use my existing cable with a HDMI to DVI adaptor? If I use the adaptor will I lose any PQ? as always thanks..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryZ115
Help please.. I currently have my plasma connected to HDMI and my cable to DVI. I'm switching to DirectTV next week and found out that the HD box is HDMI. Do I need to replace the cable with a HDMI to HDMI cable or can I use my existing cable with a HDMI to DVI adaptor? If I use the adaptor will I lose any PQ? as always thanks..
Not sure exactly what you're asking, but it sounds like your plasma is a HDMI and you're cable box is DVI. If you're DirecTV box is HDMI, you'll been an HDMI to HDMI cable. There's a good chance the box will include the cable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.