AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question regarding the stretching problem with Samsung DVI dvd players (i.e the 831 and the potential issue with the 841/941).

I know that 4:3 material gets inappropriately stretched over the DVI output. From a practical standpoint, if I have my DVI output permanently set to 720p, what options DO I have for 4:3 material? Can I simply hook up, say, the S-Video output to my TV at the same time and just change my TV's input to S-Video when I identify a movie that's having the problem?

If this is the case, it's really a non-issue for me - I understand the complaints and the desire to have the issue fixed, but if I don't have to go into any settings on the DVD player every time I need to watch a non-anamorphic disc, I can live with the slight inconvenience.

Thanks for any replies - I'm thinking about canceling my Bravo D1 order and ordering one of the new Samsungs...

Sped

· Registered
16,351 Posts
Nobody knows yet whether this will be an issue with the new 841 and 941. If it is, as you suggest, you can simply view 4:3 DVDs via component or S-video connection (component would be a better PQ).

· Registered
963 Posts
The current Samsung HD931 will output 720p via DVI and 480i via component simultaneously, thus allowing you to switch inputs when viewing full-frame or non-anamorphic material.

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
The current Samsung HD931 will output 720p via DVI and 480i via component simultaneously, thus allowing you to switch inputs when viewing full-frame or non-anamorphic material.
Except the component outputs are worse that the DVI due to no Faroujda processing. The Faroujda only works on the DVI output. So, it's really a no-win situation.

· Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - I really think I can live with that solution The amount of actual FULL-FRAME movies I watch is pretty limited, so I'm more concerned with how it would work with non-16:9 "letterboxed" movies. My TV does a fairly decent job with my non-progressive scan DVD player right now, so I'll probably be OK. I think there's a limit to how well a non-16:9 letterboxed movie will ever look on a widescreen TV anyway... I'm going to be curious to pick up the new Great Escape to see how much better it looks than the non-anamorphic version I have...

Thanks for the help!

Sped

· Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
Except the component outputs are worse that the DVI due to no Faroujda processing. The Faroujda only works on the DVI output. So, it's really a no-win situation.
True enough, though my DLP set had Faroujda processing, so it was no big deal. ;)

Besides, most non-anamorphic DVDs look fairly poor, regardless, so the type of processing really won't make a lot of difference (especially for video material, since 3:2 pulldown is a non-issue). The only case where you might be in trouble is if you collect a lot of television shows on DVD, or have a lot of old movies that were shot full-frame, and you want them to look as good as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.